• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Few Fakes

Years
  • A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes

Araphosa, Tsaraphosa, Waruphosa

A Few Fakes

Krampine

A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes

Pasuee, Facsimlee, Theftidee

A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes

Traplure, Axelure

A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes

Tuthuid, Giguid, Archthuid

A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes

Nematon, Helminthon

A Few Fakes

Spectrum

A Few Fakes

Ventherm

A Few Fakes
    A Few Fakes

Crickid, Grylloket

A Few Fakes

Abuleuco​

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • I really like your concepts but your shading is off. Remember to have a specific light source. If your making them for a hack or game then the light source is in the top left.

Years
  • Even imperfect shading can't detract from the fact that these are very well done sprites. The coloring is fantastic, though overall lacking in warmer tones, and your lines are almost flawlessly smooth. You have some impressive talent.

Years
  • This has got to be the first time I've been bugged so much in such a short amount of time. Nobody can use my sprites (except for a few people to whom I already gave permission), and I'm not some kind of slave for anyone to be putting to work.

I generally try to emulate the Gen 4 style, which isn't as perfectly light-sourced as the previous generations. Besides shading what's away from the top left corner, it shades what's lower down and what's farther away, giving a cheap illusion of depth. Of course I don't do everything perfectly, but it's not like I'm shading "wrong" because I'm some kind of n00b.

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • Ive seen some of your work on DA and I have to say Im quite impressed how well you do the fakemon. The outlines seem to really impress me the most though.

A Few Fakes

this for example is in my mind perfectly emulating the gen 4 style of pokemon. For one it has an pose that shows some kind of action which is what most official Pokemon sprites show. The idea itself seems to be passable for an official Pokemon. The use of some kind of pattern or design is a must when making fakemon and you seem to have made a believable design for the sprite, which is great. Basing it off of a real life animal is a great thing to have too. There are some minor errors in this sprite though. On the upper part of the jaw it probably should have some lighting there, but like I said its minor the sprite may look better like this.

A Few Fakes

Here's another sprite that really interested me in your gallery. The shading is the first thing I notice in the sprite. The fur shading style has been emulated wonderfully which stands out alot in most sprites. The pattern / design is pretty good. Though Im not sure what you might have based this off of. Looks like a parasite in my opinion. Because of how it looks people might not believe its official which you usually want to aim for. It's a good sprite dont get me wrong but its kind of hard to make out what it is.

Its a great gallery of sprites you have though. I hope to see you put more of your work up here.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • These designs are great.

Quality wise, I like the emphasis you give to the lineart on mostly all of these. Even if the shading contains irregularities here and there, or even if the colors may be slightly off in places, the good lineart makes them seem invisible at first glance.. It's the most defining aspect in making a pokemon sprite look good, and you seem to know that well. (Unlike 90% of the people here)

I would crit, but most of what there is to crit here are small scale details on all sprites.

Once I get free time, I might go inspect these closely for in-depth critique.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • This has got to be the first time I've been bugged so much in such a short amount of time. Nobody can use my sprites (except for a few people to whom I already gave permission), and I'm not some kind of slave for anyone to be putting to work.

I generally try to emulate the Gen 4 style, which isn't as perfectly light-sourced as the previous generations. Besides shading what's away from the top left corner, it shades what's lower down and what's farther away, giving a cheap illusion of depth. Of course I don't do everything perfectly, but it's not like I'm shading "wrong" because I'm some kind of n00b.

I never said you shading was wrong. I was just assuming that you were spriting in the gen 3 style.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • These are some really original designs! You also have a good eye for color, but there is one small problem... The Tuthuid line and Ventherm aside, they don't really look like Pokemon. Helminthon especially looks like something from Final Fantasy. Pokemon tend to have large heads, or at the very least memorable faces. I'm not saying that you should change the designs, but it's something you might want to keep in mind in the future.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    These are some delicious concepts. Like others have said, there are minor issues with the shading, but nothing big. I love the first stage lure pokemon, it's a really clever design, and it kinda looks like he's trying to grab his own lure, which really adds a quirky character to the design. I hope to see more of your work around here in the future :)

Nicolas

O c t o j a R e j s t r o m
    Years
  • . . .it's quite obvious that his URL in PC and in DeviantArt is the same, please check his profile first before you say that his work isn't his

and, I just saw your sprites in PC and I've got to say that these are some smexy sprites I say! it's so sophisticated and well designed with good color combinations and terrific designs

Years
  • Wow! These are some of the best fakes I've seen on here in a long while. I can't see the issue with your shading that others have mentioned, and it's a lot less of a hard and fast rule in the latest games anyhow. The only criticism I have is that on the darker sprites, like Tsaraphosa and Waruphosa, it's a little hard to see the anatomy because the lines blend with the dark fill colour. Spectrum also doesn't seem like very Pokémon-y, and I'm not really sure what it's supposed to represent (other than a generic ghost). I think your names could use a little work, too, but that's not relevant to the quiality of the art. ;)

Back