• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A few questions about FR

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Figured this wouldn't be appropriate for quick Q&A, since there's so much to ask, so here goes:

1.How would one replace the sprites for the intro for the player, rival and Oak? I have been using NSE, but I can't seem to find the right sprites. Found them navigating, but I was unable to import a new sprite, instead, everything I tried made the picture glitch to death, or did nothing.

2.I opened up the script for the starter Pokémon, but I'm not sure which numbers to change, in order to change which Pokémon you are given:
    Spoiler:

I assume the method would be the same for any gift pokémon script.

Solved

3. How difficult is it to add a second rival character? Is it just something as simple as adding scripts to have the character show up? solved

4.How would you add a separate regional pokedex to FR? I know you can edit Pokemon to have two different dex numbers stored in memory, but as far as I know, FR just limits the number in your national dex to 151, pre-national

5. What is the max number of evolutions/evolution methods a single pokémon (like Eevee) can have, natively, and can that be expanded, without breaking the game? I'd like to add in secondary evolution methods for Eevee, as well as 3 new evos, by my count I'll need a total of 22 evolution conditions (including the 5 included in FR's base data).
    Never mind, figured it out.

I'll probably have more questions as things occur to me.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    for changing the starters, you could just use A-starter
    Adding rivals is sorta easy, you just need to add the script.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    for changing the starters, you could just use A-starter
    Oh, right. I forgot I had that program, lol

Figured that would be ridiculously easy.

EDIT: Oh, right, that's why I wasn't using it: I'm using an expanded Rombase, with over 900 Pokemon, and it won't let me access anything past Chimecho

Further Edit:
    Figured it out, nvm, Just have to edit the Hex values, manually

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Oh, right. I forgot I had that program, lol

Figured that would be ridiculously easy.

EDIT: Oh, right, that's why I wasn't using it: I'm using an expanded Rombase, with over 900 Pokemon, and it won't let me access anything past Chimecho

Further Edit:
    Figured it out, nvm, Just have to edit the Hex values, manually
    Oh yeah, I was having trouble with that as well. Unfourtunatly, I don't know which hex va
    lues to edit :p

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Oh yeah, I was having trouble with that as well. Unfourtunatly, I don't know which hex values to edit :p
    I did the same thing you used to have to do for A-Map 1.95: Copy the Rom, alter the copied rom, then use HxD to compare the roms and see what areas changed, then just work those out in hex; although it's a bit weird, bulbasaur isn't 0001 it's 0100 and Burny, my fire-type starter, isn't 030a (which is the hex for it's position, Pokedex # + 53), it's 0a03
    Takes a bit of Trial and Error, I should probably write the offsets down, for easy access, in the future.
    EDIT: Here's the offsets and what needs to change, not sure which controls which part, so you'll need to change em all, you'll need your three starters pokédex numbers, plus 53, converted to hexadecimal, then you place the first two numbers after the second two, for example Volcanion in hex is 0306 (721+53=774, which, when converted into hex is 306), so to enter Volcanion into the offset, you'd change a number to 06 03

169BB0, 01 00 becomes number of your first starter
    169BB0, change 04 00 to second starter
    0169D80 change 07 00 to third starter

0169D80 change 01 00 to first starter
    0169DB0, change 04 00 to second starter
    0169DB0, change 07 00 to third starter

23B7F0, change BF 02 to first starter
    23B800, change C2 02 to second starter
    23B7F0, change C5 02 to third starter

Yup, now my custom starters work perfectly. But don't ever open the file in A-Starter, afterwards, it will totally corrupt everything, change all the starters to glitch pokémon and you'll have to redo it.
    EDIT: P.S. If you've changed the base starters in a-starter, the numbers won't be 01 00, 04 00 and 07 00, but whatever the hex numbers of the starters you're currently using are, so, I'd just change them back to bulbasaur, squirtle and charmander, before doing this.

Last edited:
    Back