• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] A few questions; where to start..

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2016
    Hi guys,

I have read a few tutorials and think i can try, but where to start (if you make a new pokémongame, you can't just edit the firered rom, you have to start fresh). Or am i not right?

How do you start with a new game, for example: i want to make pokémon brown but where do i need to begin, i have to start fresh (so i have to delete all towns) but i think thats too hard for me.

Another question: are there any downloadlinks for tiles that i can use in editing the firered rom.

Ty, sorry for my bad english: i am dutch

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think you have misunderstood, at some point :3.

With Hacking, you start with a normal FireRed ROM and you change it to your liking - in every hack the basic mechanics are left the same, but people change scripts (what happens), how maps look, graphics, pokemon stats/information, etc.

Even then, with things like mapping we don't delete we just 'redo' them - make our new map over the top to replace the old. Some hacks use original maps and only change scripting.

Game making (Game Dev section) is all about starting from nothing.

You can find tiles anywhere - google, deviantart, etc. and there are tutorials on how to insert them in our tuts section :) I believe Le Pug has a good one.

Back