• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A game?! YOU THINK THIS IS JUST A GAME?!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Do you take Pokemon seriously? What are your thoughts on people who take Pokemon waaay too seriously?

I don't take Pokemon that serious. I think of it as a hobby, something I do when I'm bored. And I usually don't judge people who take Pokemon way too seriously, but if they start saying "THIS IS NOT JUST AN ANIME/GAME/WHATEVER!! MY MY LIFE DEPENDS ON THIS!!!!" or if they complain too much then I would think that they have some kind of problem. o.o

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    People who take Pokemon seriously should just relax and take time to look at its other forms of media. Unfortunately, I'm guilty of taking the Pokemon games seriously, like taking IVs and nature into account.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Yes, sometimes I take Pokèmon games too seriously, especially when I can't defeat a certain gym leader.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't play the game seriously, the most serious I get is when I'm searching for shiny pokemon via hatching or trading.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't really take it seriously. I enjoy playing it as a hobby and it's something I can really get into.

I'm not a major battler though, I prefer filling my pokedex.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Before the topic gets out of hand, I'd just like to remind everyone that this topic goes for the whole Pokemon franchise, not just the games.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I take everything I do seriously. The games and anime are no exception. I put my time into them, and I expect others to respect that. Especially when those others are my classmates who can't even perform differentiation, and still think they are worthy of my time.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's definitely not just a game. It's something to base your roleplays on /RP-nerd :D:D

No, it's much more, there are so many aspects of pokémon. And a lot of different ways to like pokémon. I usually don't play the games, more than for an occasional fling of nostalgia. I don't even own a DS. But the world of pokémon inspires me on many levels. I'm not a gamer, I'm a dreamer, nyaaah~

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    I sort of play it seriously. But mostly just as a hobby. I do it when I have free time. And I don't think I have ever met someone who really takes it seriously.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    Eh......I guess I'm kinda half-and-half when it comes to being too serious about Pokemon. I always take IVs, EVs, and Natures into account when capturing and battling Pokemon, but I'm often relaxed about it.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    Typically I'm only serious about pokemon when it came to competitive plays~
    Even so though, with things like games, I'd play just for fun. :3

Even when it came to collecting, it was for fun. <3

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    pkmn is srs bsns, 4lyfe.

Umm, right.
    Nope, I would usually ignore natures, IVs, EVs, and anything else important to comptetive gameplay, just beat the game and drop it.
    I'm tempted now to get out something like PokeMon yellow and try a monochrome team, though.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    No. Pokemon isn't just a game. It's a way of life. :D

(Like Final Fantasy. Or Super Smash Brothers. Or cookies and milk. Or fried chicken.)

To be truthful, I view Pokemon as a hobby. I don't take it too seriously. But it sure is fun! :D

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Oh god. I don't really take it that seriously. But if I'm in an important battle I will get serious. ;o;

I play competitively and face a load of psycho's. I judge based on those "psycho's" and it isn't good. I've had death threats on the Smogon Pokemon Online server before... what fun. :x

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Taking seriously as in battles - yes, i do care if I lose or not, especially when I get creamed, but as in like "OMG POKEMON IS MY LIF33333333," then obviously not. (except that one time when shiny kangaskhan fled)

Last edited:

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Im sort of semi-serious. As in, I care if I beat the game or not and catch certain Pokemon, and like which Pokes are good for which gym and the gyms weakness and whatnot. But im not very competitive, as in I dont EV and IV train, and I typically only battle friends which isnt often, just using my favorite Pokes. I dont understand the point of all out EV training and having a perfect team with perfect movesets, I simply see a Poke I like or like its evos, catch it, then do whatever with it when I have the time. I do take Poke seriously, as in you cant diss Poke, or ill kill you. Literally...Dont check my closet, that red stuff dripping out is just a busted tomato and some ketchup <3.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
    I don't take it that seriously... I don't do any competitive battling or anything but if I can't beat a gym leader I start getting serious, shouting at the screen and everything :)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I never play Pokemon seriously, just when I am bored. I use Pokemon sites more seriously though, the games are just a minor entertainment for when I am in the car or something.

Back