• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] A glaring (and confusing) issue

EndercreeperMugen

First-time ROM hacker
    Years
    Um... Hi. I'm EndercreeperMugen, a first-time ROM hacker who has been practicing and studying ROM hacking for a few years now, and in 2016, started my first actual project of re-hacking Pokémon Snakewood. It didn't turn out well at all, so now I've started my REAL first project called Pokémon: New generations, which is a hack to Ruby that adds-in lots of new Pokémon from Sinnoh, Unova, and Alola (including Alola forms as secret evolutions), as well as give some of the worse Pokémon, such as Delcatty and Parasect, better battling chances by modifying their stats and movepools. But... I have come across an issue that has left me frustrated, and it seems unfixable.
    To be short, I playtested today and something strange appeared on the battle screen (See the attachment, I can't post an image link until I reach 5 posts). I want to know if this is fixable at all? the last thing I did was change a Pokémon's icon, but I checked the backup I made before changing the icon and this issue is still apparent. If this is unfixable... I'm going to cancel the hack, as I've made so much progress (basically been spending at least 5 hours a day working on this hack for about a month) and it's too late to restart, even from a backup that I made yesterday due to how much progress has been made between then and now.
    I really hope this can be fixed, and this issue has greatly frustrated and troubled me, especially as a demo for this hack was meant to be released very soon (a sectioned off one at that but a demo regardless). Thanks in advance, and if you need me to give more details, let me know and I'll do my best.
    Edit 1: All hope may not be lost if this is unable to be fixed. I found a backup from today that I could easily work onward from, as it was created around the time I finished the hefty part of work. What I'd have to redo would be some modified trainer teams, and implementing Fomantis and Lurantis, but that shouldn't take too long, as they weren't really complete before this bug happened anyways.
    Edit 2: Looking through the backup makes me lose hope. It's more incomplete than I thought, so I'm just really hoping there's a way to fix this issue. I have a copy of the glitched ROM saved, and won't be working on the game at all until I either fix this or get confirmation that I can't fix it.

Attachments

• A glaring (and confusing) issue
      frustrating issue.PNG
      5.4 KB · Views: 16
    Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Looks like the font change may have been the issue. Fixing that would perhaps require a complete repoint of the font graphics, and fortunately that isn't too hard to do. If that isn't it, I encourage you to restart from your backup without the bug.

These kinds of graphical corruption bugs are often harder to fix than normal bugs, but are generally caused when you've overwritten parts of data, inserted data in the wrong format or simply inserted smaller graphics without removing the rest of the bigger graphic.

Back