• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: a good ol' fashioned DCC!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I still haven't figured out why any sort of modern live chat tool like Discord is supposed to be superior. Yes, you can talk to many people directly. But you could do so with IRC, as well, back in the day.

And forums are a good way to archive stuff, too. Especially useful when you're looking up stuff on Google.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    If I use Discord it's mostly for the DMs. Though, I'm still trying to at least say something on some of the servers that I don't visit for the sake of lurking.

stringzzz

Banned
    Days
  • Since I've been doing college online only the last couple of years, I get invited to at least one Discord chatroom every semester. I didn't care to get involved with it in the first place, but now I especially avoid them like the plague because apparently that's where students in those classes keep coming together and collaborating to cheat. :/

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, I like Discord, when it's reasonably close-knit friend servers or very specific servers about a topic/fandom. Not so much when it's too open spaces where just any sort of person can come in, and there might be thousands of users at once.

Years
  • I'm in a few niche ones but I still get too shy to post because I'm actually a beached jellyfish slowly cooking in the sun.

Years
  • I'm in a few niche ones but I still get too shy to post because I'm actually a beached jellyfish slowly cooking in the sun.

That is some amazing imagery!
    I'm on several discords with some friends, but am too scared to use the actual voice rooms yet. I'm also on some public discords (including PC's) but mostly lurk.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    the only VC I'm really in is in my big friend-servers where I know people well and where we stream games or play DnD often. I don't really like public VCs, just like with public chatrooms. I might just be picky in my old days, about choosing whom to hang out with ahah.

Years
  • @Moon, my Respond isn't working, but yeah, even on friends servers I avoid VC's like the plague!
    I think I did a combo of Roll20 for visuals and Discord for voice when I did DnD! Do you use Foundry?

@Sothis, I understand that feeling! Public servers are pretty scary and relatively unfriendly if you go in them alone!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @Moon, my Respond isn't working, but yeah, even on friends servers I avoid VC's like the plague!
    I think I did a combo of Roll20 for visuals and Discord for voice when I did DnD! Do you use Foundry?

@Sothis, I understand that feeling! Public servers are pretty scary and relatively unfriendly if you go in them alone!
    I think you have to quote a post in order to notify a user. PC is cool in many ways but a smol bit archaic in others! Part of its charm :)

We usually use Discord for voice and Roll20 for the actual game yes. I find it works very well! I DMd my first game a week ago and will rerun the same session with other players and a few tweaks soon :3

Years
  • I think you have to quote a post in order to notify a user. PC is cool in many ways but a smol bit archaic in others! Part of its charm :)

We usually use Discord for voice and Roll20 for the actual game yes. I find it works very well! I DMd my first game a week ago and will rerun the same session with other players and a few tweaks soon :3

I am dumb. For future reference (for me), Hit the Respond button, a purple pen button will appear in lower right-hand corner. Click it and it will bring in the quote!

I'm glad you had a good time with it! Did you have a hard time keeping it balanced? Are you doing a home-brew or running off of the books? Is it a oneshot?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I am dumb. For future reference (for me), Hit the Respond button, a purple pen button will appear in lower right-hand corner. Click it and it will bring in the quote!

I'm glad you had a good time with it! Did you have a hard time keeping it balanced? Are you doing a home-brew or running off of the books? Is it a oneshot?
    haha dw about it, good you figured it out!

It was a litttle hard to balance but my players then were very experienced DMs themselves so they could give me live feedback. It was a 5e game but an all-homebrewed setting and a one-shot. I tossed in some fiends and gave a big guy some other name and motivation and called it a day hehe.

Years
  • I'm nowhere near creative enough to make my own character lol. But I have a friend who's created a lot and written stories with them.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm nowhere near creative enough to make my own character lol. But I have a friend who's created a lot and written stories with them.
    I'm sure you'd do fine! The DM and other players can likely always help out with ideas and even backstories. My first chars completely lacked backstory because I didn't feel I knew enough about the world to even begin to shape a history for them, but the DMs helped me a lot and weaved it in to the plot even, it felt really cool.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    DM stands for "Dungeon Master". That's the person who plans the campaign and leads your party through the story. Some people also use the term GM ("Game Master").

Those people usually know pretty well how these types of games work and are usually more than willing to help you with planning your character, as well.

Back