• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen A Link to the Past!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Not that game. :( Anyway, gen III was the last generation to use physical link cables, and even introduced wireless cables with the release of FRLG, and iirc, that device also came with Emerald. So how many of you linked up with friends or siblings? Did you ever pull the plug during battles or trades? Like to mix records? Did you use the wireless links in FRLG and play the minigames in the Sevii Islands? Discuss all things about linking up in gen III, be it RSE or FRLG! :)

MaddogSix

Comp. Programmer/Online Gamer
    Years
  • yes!
    the first Pokemon game I ever got was sapphire, I remember going to school one day and a kid had his SP with him and we did a link battle (I got pwned!)
    I prefer wireless though because cables can get torn up easily

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • The link cable <3 I had almost forgotten it ! I didn't own one, but some of my friends did. I totally prefer the wireless, it's totally more practical, but I have to admit that trading and battling through the link cable was more epic. Maybe because it was the first way to connect two games and because as a 7 years old everything looked more epic...

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • I was drawn in to this thread by my favourite Zelda game. Anyhow, I rarely had the opportunity to link together with others because nobody seemed to remember their trading device. It was nice the few times I did get to link with them, though.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I was lucky to have a link cable and the wireless adaptors so my brother and friends used to trade with me all the time. I do remember a few times when they (and sadly I) disconnected during a battle. I always got all obsessed and Pokémon Ruby had to sit in the red seat to trade, and Sapphire had to sit in the blue seat. These days I still trade between the games, I just do it myself (I did it today in fact.)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Goodness, yes. I loved to mix records with friends! And myself! xD
    Trading was awesome with friends and battling via link cable was the best by far. We got so competitive!
    The minigames were total boss mode. I won every time! ;D
    My friends were the ones who always unplugged the link cables, which would annoy the HECK out of me. >n>

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Gen III was the last generation where my brother and I bought each of the corresponding games. (We both lost interest before DPPt came out, and I only regained my interest with HGSS.) He bought Ruby and I bought Sapphire. We'd traded before using a link cable, so I'd have to assume that we did so for this, though my memory of this period is hazy at best. We probably traded Kyogre for Groudon or something similar. Our link cable etiquette was probably OK as well: unlike Gen I or II, where one of us would undoubtedly pull it to try and 'steal' the other's Pokemon. 'Cause that's what brothers do! :D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Time to answer my own topic lol. I have a link cable and 2 GBAs, so I'd often trade and battle myself. Loner kid yeah. I battled my sister and friend, but both got frustrated and pulled the plug on me because they were losing. I can't help if you suck. ;( And I mixed records with my best friend at the time and he was never far away, cause his secret base was right next to mine! I never got to play the FRLG mini-games though, so I can't comment on them. I don't have the wireless adapters anyway, so I can't try.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • the link cable oh yes

back when I first got Yellow(my first game) I lost a Zapdos in one because it fell out in the middle of a trade.

moving aside from that the link cable was last used when I and my sis got ruby and sapphire.

Years
  • I loved the link cable.

I am guilty of pulling the plug when losing battles against people xD

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • wow the link cable, I'm so old I remember linking up in RBY and how much of a pain that was. Then the wireless adapter come out, and I didn't really use it that often. I think now with WiFi pokemon has become so much better all in all no cables, no mess :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    Me and My brother used to use the Link Cable everyday to battle.
    I do prefer wireless but I have so many good memories with the Link Cable.
    I still have it because we still sometimes battle on our Gameboy Colour.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Wow, good times now that I think back on it. n__n I had two best friends that would come over to my house everyday after school and we would all get together and play Pokémon the majority of their time there (my brother too)! During certain points in the game (we'd play RSE - over and over and over), we would all link up and battle. I have to admit to pulling off the link cable out of frustration, but hey I was a kid. u_u; It was all very fun though. We'd also do everything you possibly could, mix records (and head over to battle each other via Secret Base), trade, battle, chat, etc.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I linked up with my friend, who I don't see that often anymore... Anyway, we traded a bit and we mixed records one time. I also connected with his Colosseum so that I could clone all the legendary Pokemon in there on my Emerald xD I cloned a lot of other Pokemon too, and we battled each other, which was a bit weird since we had like the same Pokemon. But I usually had better overall teams, so he pulled the plug out a lot.

I never got around to the Sevi Islands because I never had a wireless connector, while he did.

Years
  • Oh lord, the link cable XD I got one with my GBA Travel Pack, and when Ruby/Sapphire came out there was one other kid in the whole school who had it too. (It was a pretty small school). He had Ruby too though, so we never really traded, but we battled a bit and mixed records a lot. It was sorta cool to be able to battle him (and gain EXP) while on my own. Then my brother got FireRed the Christmas after FRLG came out (I already had LG). We traded a bit with the adaptors, mostly experimenting with the whole Union Room thing. Eventually he played less and less, though we did manage to have one great battle with full teams of awesome Pokemon. Fond memories of the linking days :D

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • I really do miss the link cable, it brings back so many fond memories of going to my brother's hockey games and battling, trading / getting ripped off by the other hockey siblings. It was a good time.

I never got the chance to mix records though... Everyone at the arena was too nervous it was going to ruin or erase their game or something.

Back