• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A little help?

Years
    I need some help on my team for the battle frontier. Right now I have:

Blaziken
    lvl 73
    Attacks: Flamethrower, Aerial Ace, Sky Uppercut, Slash
    Hold Item: Leftovers

Corsola
    lvl 72
    Attacks: Recover, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Surf
    Hold Item: Quick Claw
    Ability: Hustle

Raichu
    lvl 71
    Attacks: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Rain Dance, Iron Tail
    Hold Item: Magnet

I think I need to improve Raichu the most (or raise another pokemon)...some suggestions please? Thanks in advance! :t222:

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    animelover120 said:
    I need some help on my team for the battle frontier. Right now I have:

Blaziken
    lvl 73
    Attacks: Flamethrower, Rock Slide, Sky Uppercut, Swords Dance
    Hold Item: Leftovers

Corsola
    lvl 72
    Attacks: Recover, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Surf
    Hold Item: Quick Claw
    Ability: Hustle

Raichu
    lvl 71
    Attacks: Substitute, Thunderbolt, Focus Punch, Thunder Wave
    Hold Item: Magnet

I think I need to improve Raichu the most (or raise another pokemon)...some suggestions please? Thanks in advance! :t222:

I'm not to sure on Corsola so u'll have to find some other source for help on that. Right now, your team can be taken out easily with a Pokemon who uses the Swift Swim ability.......yea, that's bad. I suggest something like Snorlax to try and cover for that. Other than that you'll want something else over Corsola, because quite frankly, it's not all that good. Blaziken will do extremely well in most scenarios IMO though.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Basically, Corsola sucks as a Pokemon. I know it may be your favorite Pokemon and all, but if you want to beat the Battle Frontier, you're gonna need a much better Pokemon. Instead, use a Pokemon with lots of Special Defense. Snorlax, Blissey, and Regice all cover that area and offer you protection against special hits.

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
    First thing that stands out abt this team, is its severe weak to earthquake..That isn't good by any stretch of the imagination. Replacing corsola with a bulky water such as milotic will help.Also stay clear from 10% attack boosting items..Like magnet etc. Quick claw is haxish and isnt recommended. [esp with its low chance of activation]..

Never double up on moves of the same type [conditions apply]...
    ie ditch thunder on raichu.[as well as rain dance]

Anyway -

Blaziken[jolly/Adamant]@leftovers/lum berry/salac berry
    -flamethrower
    -sword dance
    -skyupper cut
    -earthquake/rockslide

Or
    Blaziken[adamant]@choice band
    -rockslide
    -earthquake
    -sky uppercut
    -flamethrower/focus punch

Corsola[calm]@leftovers/shell bell
    -surf
    -ice beam
    -recover
    -calm mind

doesnt really work...actually it doesnt work.

Raichu[+Sp,-Def]@shell bell/leftovers
    -thunderbolt
    -thunderwave/encore
    -substitute
    -focus punch

If u really want an electric, mareep/magnemite/lanturn > this..I'd stick in a special wall here. Regice or something.

Raise another pokemon.

EDIT : i Took to long to reply....dammit.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

It's good advice, Ice demon. Keep in mind that you can't use 2 of the same items in the Battle Frontier. Also, I doubt her Pokemon have the ideal natures that you posted, meaning she'll have to start all over again. But then again, starting again isn't bad especially when you have new knowledge of what you can do.

Also, animelover, I strongly suggest you look at the EV guide here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64755 and learn how EVs can make your Pokemon stronger.

Years
    Thanks all of you. Is there a good special wall in Emerald (not traded) other than Regice? Assuming I drop Raichu, what would be a substitute? (doesn't have to be electric) What would be a good substitute for Corsola (other than milotic or regice)?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

There isn't any other special wall in Emerald that does it better than Regice. A Dusclops with Special Defense EVs can work, but its low HP is detrimental.

Swampert is a good replacement for Corsola, but I assume you can't get it since you chose Blaziken. Seriously, I don't get why everyone chooses Blaziken when Swampert is so much better.
    Ludicolo is also a good Water type. Use the Swift Swim version with Rain Dance/Surf/Ice Beam/Leech Seed.
    Starmie is awesome too, and works as a special sweeper.

Salamence and Metagross both work well as physical sweepers. In fact, with a Choice Band attached, these two can crush the competition. Choose Salamence for its Speed or Metagross for its Defense.

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
    Thanks dude =)..
    I stopped rating for awhile [sometime around when u came to this forum]..so i'm rusty.

Unfortunately Regice is the real special tank of RSE...While milotic/swampert/gyarados are the main bulky waters.
    Flygon/claydol both have handy resistances to rockslide and immunity to earthquake and thunderbolt but unless you get a special wall, they will just leave u open to icebeams.
    [with correct prediction, gyarados and flygon can work nicely together]

Years
    Thanks! Should I train a mudkip I got from a friend some time ago (unfortunately we can't trade anymore) or train Regice (or both)? If one of them, what would be a good pokemon to balance the team out?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Train the Mudkip. Swampert is a great Poke that can balance your team out. I would advise against Regice, since I am not into using Legendaries, but you could run with both. Here is the most common Pert set:

Swampert @ Leftovers
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Protect/Rest
    Surf

"Mixpert" has a STAB physical attack (EQ) and a STAB special attack (Surf), not to mention good defenses (Base 90 in both Def and SDef) and has ONE weakness (Grass) that it has an excellent counter to (IB). Protect or Rest is your preference, although Rest helps keep Pert some good staying power.

Jay_Gold

Lurking Strategy Sceptile
    Years
    Well, if you want to handle a few at a time (growing), I'd say dust off the ol' EXP. Share, or put your two stronger in the daycare and personally train the weakest by throwing yourself at the Elite Four repeatedly. That's how I raised my Salamence to level 76. After that I chased Trainers, then went back to the E4. Remember, in Open Level all the frontier opponents are the same level as your highest, so keep them close together.

If you still have Steven's Beldum- Well, a Metagross is pretty powerful (They can learn a lot of different special and normal moves, as well as Meteor Mash at level 55? or something, which is a great move) and if you take the time to train the Mudkip as well, having a Swampert in the 80+ level range (try to raise your other Pokemon too) and a Metagross anywhere from level 60-90 is really powerful.

With the Corsola thing, you should teach it typical Corsola good moves- Protect, Recover(you already have it XDD), and Spikes can help give you an advantage, and if you saved your Water Pulse TM, it's really good when used by a Corsola. Keeping Earthquake might be nice, but most trainers have a decent earthquake avoider these days. Get rid of Surf- it's not the greatest move unless it's against a disadvantaged or weaker opponent and it only gives you an edge in double battles, really. Ice Beam is nice, ice moves are generally quite useful when you're fighting most teams.

All in all, you should really aim for whatever you can handle. Memorize the type chart or repeat the "Fire Grass Water Fire Grass Water" cycle to yourself every night. Get some nice powerful TMs, and try out EVERY new move against the elite four. Some aren't as strong as ya think. Get a few 1-hit K.O. moves, and raise the levels as high as you can. Play the Battle Factory (rental pokemon) so you get used to your types and the feel of using different pokemon. Use the Battle Dome and Tower to practice pure strength, the Pike to test "stress" (psn, sleep, frz, paralization etc.) conditions- can you hold your head even if your team is all paralyzed, or are you willing to wait until ______ defrosts?

Battle Pyramid is a good time-killer, if you just want an assortment of mindless battles and strong "wild pokemon" encounters.
    To test the attacks themselves, go to Battle Palace- you need to be able to trust your Pokemon and their moves enough to rely on any move being used.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Yikes! Do not replace Surf with Water Pulse. EVER. Even though WP has a 20% chance to confuse your opponent, its AP is only 60 compared to the 95 AP of Surf. Not to mention that when you are playing 2x2, Surf will hit both of your opponents. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. The ONLY time a Poke should be using Water Gun is when it cannot learn Surf.

Years
    I've decided to take a lot of time of of the battle frontier and train mudkip. Though, I'm having a hard time deciding the 3rd pokemon (assuming I pick Blaziken and Swampert). Wood Ludicolo be a good choice? (trying to cover for weaknesses against psychic and water here)

Jay_Gold

Lurking Strategy Sceptile
    Years
    Sorry about that. Heh. I guess I just don't use Water Pulse and Surf comparatively. Actually, it's probably because my trained pokemon has Water Pulse and my Kyogre has Surf that I came upon that impression. In my experience, Pulse does more damage. Not that it ever actually confuses people. I have rotten luck. Eh.

I've got a Ludicolo too ^^ I almost never train poor Rainz though. He's level 48 or something. Does it have the rain dish ability? And rain dance? That could help recover HP and stuff... Maybe a psychic attack. Wait- can Belly Drum be learned by Ludicolo? Does Belly Drum exist in Hoenn anymore? I mostly play my Gold version (Hence the name Jay Gold). I liked Belly Drum. Didn't help me too much but I love the Poli-somethings.

I suppose... Ehhh... Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Solarbeam, and Psychic? Can those be learned by Ludicolo? I know there are waaaaaaaaaaay better combinations out there.
    Do you have LeafGreen or FireRed? If you get a few of the Kanto Pokemon (For example- Ditto, Articuno, Mewtwo, Venusaur, all those oldies that everyone loves) You could trade some over. I just restarted my LeafGreen so I haven't gotten National Dex yet. Irk.

What do you think is a good move for a Lv. 84 Blaziken? I can't decide. It has Sky Uppercut, Fire Kick(?), and Fire Blast. I'm looking for a suitable TM. Blaziken has too many weaknesses like that.

And I'm very sorry again for my mistake. *bows* You people obviously know more about these Water move quirks than I. I... need... to.... memorize... more... attack... charts....

Years
    Actually, I only have a very low-lvl lombre with swift swim. Maybe I should just go catch a new lotad and start anew...

Ludicolo can't learn belly drum (not that I know of, anyways). Belly Drum is used by Makuhita and Hariyama. Ludicolo can learn Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Solar beam, but not Psychic. Hm...are there any good dark moves that it can learn? (I only know of thief)

I have FireRed, but sadly, I don't have the oppurtunity to trade anymore (my friend's mom banned her from trading with me).

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    Jay_Gold said:
    In my experience, Pulse does more damage.
    No, have you ever compared Surf and Water Pulses's base damage? Surf has 95 while Pulse has a measly 60. Surf is way stronger than Pulse.

I've got a Ludicolo too ^^ I almost never train poor Rainz though. He's level 48 or something. Does it have the rain dish ability?
    Swift Swim trait is way better for Ludicolo. It gives it the potential to sweep rather than sit around and stall.

What do you think is a good move for a Lv. 84 Blaziken? I can't decide. It has Sky Uppercut, Fire Kick(?), and Fire Blast.
    It's called Blaze Kick, but that's not a good move for Blaziken. Standard Blaziken set is

Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Sky Uppercut
    Swords Dance/Bulk Up
    Rock Slide

And I'm very sorry again for my mistake. *bows* You people obviously know more about these Water move quirks than I. I... need... to.... memorize... more... attack... charts....
    I'm going to be posting up a Moveset list later this week. I hope it becomes a good resource for new players looking to train their Pokemon.

Fr0st

Random Crazy Person
    Years
    Swift swim ludicolo is better IMO... Why would u want the same pokemon to have rain dance and sunny day? If u want u can swift swim...

Ludicolo
    Trait: Swift Swim
    ~Rain dance
    ~Surf
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Leech Seed/Thunderpunch/Giga drain

Giga drain is a good idea because of STAB (same type attack bonus) and so is Surf...
    Ludicolo rock at Swift Swim and Rain dish

Years
    Great, thanks! Though, now the only type weakness left is psychic... I guess brute force will just have to work. Gotta get training! *sweatdrops at the sight of so much lvling up to do* It's going to take forever...

Back