• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

a new protaganist?

Ciaran

Banned
Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I was reading somewhere ages ago.. and i can't remember for the life of me, but wherever i read it was saying that after this series of the Black And White anime, that there's going to be a new protaganist, so no more Ash.. D:
    As much i do like Ash, i think it'll be pretty cool to see another trainer's adventure.
    so, watta ya think?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    This has been a debatable topic in the past. However, it would be nice to know where exactly you read such things. For sure it is definitely not confirmed that Ash will leave the series after BW, even though it'd be for the better, in my opinion.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • As long as Dent stay's I'm fine with it.

No but really, what should happen is the writers should sort of phase Ash out. Make him less and less the main character as a few seasons go by, having him being a sidekick, and then swap him out.

WhiteWizard

Mewtwo Hax enabled.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    you mean they havent got rid of ash yet?? omg they really need to! Ash is like 25 right now... hes hittin ray rays and dating stunners not wasting time w his pikachu.

KingKaos

Non-legendary Pokemon FTW!
    Years
  • I think it's almost kind of too late to change characters, but if beyblade can do it I guess Pokemon can do it too.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Time after time this has been discussed, but nah - let's just stick with Ash.

Woah, what am I saying? Of course I want the anime to have a new Protaganist. I wouldn't actually mind a female protaganist, but not like May or Dawn, a female character interested in gyms. Or maybe even something a little new. (But not musicals)

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I think it's almost kind of too late to change characters, but if beyblade can do it I guess Pokemon can do it too.

That's different though. Pokemon has been around much longer than Beyblade (which the original series was great!). I doubt they will ever replace Ash simply because people identify Pokemon with Pikachu first and foremost, then Ash.

Croaker

Fleet Commander
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    Should have done that after the first season, it's too late now. It would have permitted some actual accomplishments, character development and drama, since the season ending would be more open.
    Old characters could have aged in real time, too.
    I guess pikachu was just too popular to be ditched since no one cares about Ash anyway.
    The current formula must also be easier to write. It's not like the majority of the audience has even seen the first episodes.

Years
  • That's different though. Pokemon has been around much longer than Beyblade (which the original series was great!). I doubt they will ever replace Ash simply because people identify Pokemon with Pikachu first and foremost, then Ash.
    It doesn't help that Pokemon is a lot more popular than Beyblade (I loved this show! <3), and Ash and Pikachu are worldwide icons.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Uh I care a lot about Ash and I know plenty of Ash fans besides me too, FYI Pokemon Best Wishes has had good ratings in both US and Japan so why change now? If they start to slip than maybe.

Years
  • That would be interesting. I liked Ash at the begginig, but now he annoys me -_-' A little change won't hurt. I know Pikachu is Pokemon's mascot but who says that the new protagonist can't have one?
    In the Yu-Gi-Oh! series the main plot changes every season so...[I'm just giving an example]

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't think they'll get rid of Ash. No one would watch the show if they replaced him. Also, it's too late to change protaganists.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • Ash Has Never Won in any 8-badged league tournament and He hasn't become a master yet so I don't think they'll replace ash anytime soon, But i would like to see someone else's adventure

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    I can't remember any long lasting series that changed the main protagonist.
    I know some TV shows tried it, like YoGiOh or Digimon (beacause there didn't seem to be a way to have the old storyline go on). But as a series' success is strongly linked to the audience getting attached to the main character, that's always a risk. Digimon almost died after season 4. Therefore the Pokemon writers don't take too much risk and try to keep things fresh by replacing the sidekicks.

However, they could write a completely new series and air it parallel to the old Pokemon anime. Then people would see, which series is more successful and end the other one.

WhiteWizard

Mewtwo Hax enabled.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    I think they need to do it... ash has been around for too long :3 I never liked him much anyways! I just loved misty

Years
  • If they were to make a spin-off, it should feature all the girls (May, Misty, Dawn, Iris, Zoey, Ursula, Lyra, Bianca and maybe even the BW female protagonist Hilda 'cos I've seen anime-like artwork of her.)

FlameEntei

Old fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2013
    Maybe they will end it one day. And start afresh with a new protagonist, someone who is fundamentally similar but smarter than Ash.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • With the Anime already going as strong as it is, I think we'll be seeing Ash and Co. for at least another decade minimum. He's practically a symbol of the show itself, with him being the main character and all and I don't think they can get rid of him that easily.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    When Satoshi leaves the Pokemon Industry then they'll 'consider swapping ash out" which will probably never happen.

since Ash is based of the actual creator of Pokemon. u cant really take that away :)

Back