• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A new type idea!

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    I got an idea for a new type, which I was going to put in my own pokedex...
    & I figure that if they wanted to, people could use this type in their fan-made pokemon games.
    (All I want is to get credit for inventing the type, if they do use it.)

But I haven't work out all the details, which is why I made this post, to get people's help finishing it.
    This is just for fun & it goes without saying, but not everything about this type has to make sense, but
    it should balance out type chart some more.
    & without further adieu, the new type is...

Beast
    Up-dated as of June 21, 2014

This was orignally going to be the Monster-type, but as a couple of people pointed out, the name was too generic.
    Hopefully this new name will make it more specific & clearer of what I had in mind.

At first glance, this name will also seem generic, but this is what I have in mind:
    A type of pokemon that are like a COMBONATION of animals &/or humans.

Examples to further clairify:

Pokemon that are ESPECIALLY like a combonation of non-primate animals & humans.
    (so pokemon like Infernape, Primape, etc., has no chance of being a Beast-type.)
    In this way, I figured that several pokemon in the monster egg group (which impired this type) would
    become the Beast-type & maybe Zoroark & an alternate mega form for Lucario & Blaziken...
    I have a Beast/Fighting type in mind that'd be a minotaur, which would embody this kind of Beast pokemon the best.

Pokemon that are like a combonation of animals.
    None that exist comes to mind right now, but I have an idea for a 3-step Beast/Flying typed evolution
    line that'd be griffons, which are shown to be a combonation of a bird of prey & a big cat.
    (usually a hawk & a lion. sometimes, griffon are even part mole as well!)

These defintions elimates the idea of some pokemon being re-typed for just being big or strong & savage.

Beast-type attacks, however, would be a little more generic, as they'd be the more animal-based attacks, like maybe:
    Crush Claw, Roar, Noble Roar, Tail Whip, Etc.
    But I feel that moves like Slash & Hyper Voice are too generic to be Beast-typed...

What I have in mind is that only the Normal-type attacks that seems more animal-like would be re-typed, so moves like
    Bite, Crunch, Shadow Claw, Etc, would remain as the type they are.

& new moves I have in mind for the Beast-type:
    Monster Roar
    BP: 110 Acc: 85% PP: 5
    Special
    This attack has a 30% chance of making the opponent flee. Sound-based.

Beast Slam
    BP: 100 Acc: 90% PP: 10
    Physical
    This attack has a 20% chance of inflicting paralysis. Direct-contract.

What color will signify the Beast-type?
    Each type has a color that represents it... I'll inculde the color of the other types to
    try to help decide what color will represent the Beast type:
    (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these)

Normal=White
    Fire=Red
    Water=Dark Blue
    Grass=Dark Green
    Electric=Yellow
    Ice=Clear
    Fighting=Orange
    Poison= (not sure on this one...)
    Ground=Brown
    Flying=Light Blue
    Psychic=Dark Pink
    Bug=Light Green
    Rock=Gray
    Ghost=Purple
    Dragon=Indingo
    Dark=Black
    Steel=Silver
    Fairy=Light Pink

Perhaps Tan for the Beast-type?

The Beast-type match up list:
    (up-dated as of June 21, 2014)

Attacks super effective vs.: (?) means it's not fully decided.
    Fire, Water, Steel, Dragon

Attacks not very effective vs.:
    Rock, Grass, Psychic, Beast

Attacks has no effect vs.:
    Ice

Pokemon resists:
    Ground, Beast, Dragon, Rock

Pokemon are immune to:
    (?)

Pokemon are weak to:
    Grass, Bug, Psychic

Notes: (Up-dated as of June 20, 2014)

Fire & Water each has twice the amount of resistances than weaknesses, so I'm debating weither or not to make Beast-type attacks super-effective...
    I've thought of a possible explaintion for Fire being weak to Beast:
    Beast-type attacks would generate such force that they smother fire.
    But I've yet to think of how Beast would be super-effective against Water-types...

I'm sure that Beast-type attacks will be super-effective against Steel-types, because they are the ultimate defensive type, with
    far more resistances than attacks that are netual or super-effective.

Ice-types has only 1 resistance (to their own attacks) so I've decided to make them immune.
    How this'd work is that extreme cold render beast energy harmless.

You may wonder why Rock-types are resistant to Beast attacks while Steel types are weak to them...
    (Explaintion will be edited in later)

Ground & Fighting are tied for having the greastest super-effective coverage, each beating 5 different types.
    However, Fighting has 5 types that resists them & 1 that is immune while Ground has only 2 types that resists them & 1 that is immune.
    So I'm making the Beast-type resistant to Ground attacks at least. However, if popular vote says otherwise, They'll be immune instead.
    The explaintion I have for Beasts being Ground reistant is that they have an exceptinal sense of balance, so earthquakes & things
    burrowing under them doesn't disturb them as much.

Bug & Grass both have 7 types that are resistant while only 3 are weak, so Beast types will be weak to them.
    I actually have a good explaintion for why Beasts would be weak to these 2 types: Allergies.
    AH-CHOO!!!
    Poison weakness has been removed, because while they beat only 2 type & are not effective against 5, (1 of which they are useless)
    they also are weak to only 2 types while resisting 5.

I figure that Beasts would be resistant to Beast & Dragon attacks for the same reason, which is that
    Beast & Dragon-type attacks uses a simliar kind of savage energy that doesn't deal as much damage
    to Beasts because their bodies generate this kind of energy, which makes it act like a barrier of sorts.
    & since Dragons are weak to Dragon-type attacks, which uses energy similar to that of Beast-type attacks,
    that'd be the explaintion for their Beast-type weakness.
    & they'd be resistant to Rock attacks because of their strong bodies.

I think the calming mind waves of the Psychic type would be super-effective against Beast-types & would also make
    them resistant. In this way, Psychic-types would have an equal number of types that they beat, resist, are weak to & not effective agaist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I'm not exactly into the type itself. "Monster" is rather vague and could technically encompass all Pokemon, since Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters. I also find it unnecessary to give all strong Pokemon the Monster type; strong Pokemon shouldn't need a specific type to signify that they are powerful (and legendary and pseudo-legendary already sorta cover that). It'd be a little weird for all the pokes in the Ubers tier to be part Monster type.

However, I very much like how you've incorporated it into the type chart. One of the biggest problems with making a new type is making sure it doesn't become overpowered and unbalance things (which was a concern I had when Fairy was first revealed). Monster type fits very nicely in there. I like how it gives Water another weakness and makes Ice and Psychic less crappy for defense. It's also great how Bug is super-effective against it, instead of being resisted by it like so many other types do.

So I have to give you props for thinking of the type chart.

Oh, and as for the part where you say "The explaintion I thought of that there is a kind of rock that can bend. (don't remember what it's called)" about Rock types: all rocks are capable of bending. The term we use in geology is folding (no, really, its not some crazy sounding technical term, its just "folding"). Some rocks may be a little more bendable than others, but when subjected to ductile stresses, rocks will fold.
    I'm sorry I had to throw that in there I've been at field camp for 4 weeks and rocks are on the brain

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    I'm not exactly into the type itself. "Monster" is rather vague and could technically encompass all Pokemon, since Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters. I also find it unnecessary to give all strong Pokemon the Monster type; strong Pokemon shouldn't need a specific type to signify that they are powerful (and legendary and pseudo-legendary already sorta cover that). It'd be a little weird for all the pokes in the Ubers tier to be part Monster type.

However, I very much like how you've incorporated it into the type chart. One of the biggest problems with making a new type is making sure it doesn't become overpowered and unbalance things (which was a concern I had when Fairy was first revealed). Monster type fits very nicely in there. I like how it gives Water another weakness and makes Ice and Psychic less crappy for defense. It's also great how Bug is super-effective against it, instead of being resisted by it like so many other types do.

So I have to give you props for thinking of the type chart.

Oh, and as for the part where you say "The explaintion I thought of that there is a kind of rock that can bend. (don't remember what it's called)" about Rock types: all rocks are capable of bending. The term we use in geology is folding (no, really, its not some crazy sounding technical term, its just "folding"). Some rocks may be a little more bendable than others, but when subjected to ductile stresses, rocks will fold.
    I'm sorry I had to throw that in there I've been at field camp for 4 weeks and rocks are on the brain
    I can understand how "Monster" seems so generic, becasue they are indeed called "Pocket Monster", but I wouldn't give the type to just ANY
    strong pokemon...

I've thought it over & decided that calling it the Beast-type would make it clearer of what I've had in mind...

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    If this type will encouter fairy types, I think monster/beast should be super effective against the fairys. My reasoning is that they are small and frail compared to things like regigigas, which you said is of your new type.

Years
    What color will signify the Monster-type?

Perhaps Tan for the Monster-type?

The Monster-type match up list:
    (up-dated as of June 20, 2014)

Attacks super effective vs.: (?) means it's not fully decided.
    Fire, Water, Steel, Dragon

Attacks not very effective vs.:
    Rock, Grass, Psychic, Monster

Attacks has no effect vs.:
    Ice

Pokemon resists:
    Ground, Monster, Dragon, Rock

Pokemon are immune to:
    (?)

Pokemon are weak to:
    Grass, Bug, Psychic
    The idea of Monster/Kaiju type having a deep, electric, turquoise color, interests me more.
    Monsters are more associated with night than day? Tan is a light embodying color, imo.

As for effectiveness . . . What about VS. fairy? :)
    Fairies share similar lore to Kaijus of Japan, or maybe I'm thinking of
    European elves? In any case Fairy being immune to 'monster' and 'monster'
    being immune to 'fairy' makes sense to me.
    Like you wouldn't see Sully (monsters inc.) fighting the toothfairy.
    . . . They're both magical creatures of sorts?

'Monster' is rather vague and could technically encompass all Pokemon, since Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters.
    My thoughts exactly.
    As silly as this sounds 'kaiju type' would be acceptable.
    (Even though 'kaiju' is basically 'monster')
    1. Because Pocket monster, type: monster = Words. Cannot even.
    2. Because Pacific Rim.

Last edited:

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    Ok, I'm going to be giving my 1st & 2nd posts a MAJOR overhaul...
    However, the type match-up list for this type is going to be the same for the time being.

Back