• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Physical attacker's worst nightmare?

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    So I've been mulling through the new fairy type moves, looking for anything useful, and I spot baby-doll eyes. In a nutshell, it drops an enemy Pokemon's attack by 1 stage, and it's +1 priority. I instantly found this to be quite promising, as there aren't many status moves with priority, one, and two, It'll cut an enemies attack before he's able to land a blow.

By itself, it isn't much. A Garchomp with it's attack lowered by 1 stage should still be able to take out my poke with an earthquake. But then it hits me: Paired with intimidate, this could be just the thing someone needs to wipe out a physical attacker.

Shinx is the only pokemon I've found, that has both Intimidate, AND is able to use Baby-doll eyes.

Shinx(or Luxray) gets sent out and instantly lowers enemy attack, then immediately hits them with a priority Baby-doll eyes before they can even get a hit out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this almost seems too good to be true.

If anyone else has anything to add, or any other good combos that go along with this excellent move, please let me know, as I'm eager to experiment with this for a while now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2014
    Double battle:

Klefki with thunder wave (+1 priority with pranster)
    dusclops with will-o-wisp

Or worse yet, almost any pokemon with scald. Feels like it has a 100% burn chance with decent damage! #&*(^%#&*^

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    It sounds good in theory but I'm not familiar with Luxray. Does it have the Defensive stats and followup movepool to go with it? Does it have the offensive stats to sweep after crippling an attacker? Is this actually useful?

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    It sounds good in theory but I'm not familiar with Luxray. Does it have the Defensive stats and followup movepool to go with it? Does it have the offensive stats to sweep after crippling an attacker? Is this actually useful?

It's got a decent movepool, and a high 120 for attack. It's rather slow, which is what makes BDE helpful for it's so-so defences.
    If I were to use it competitively (which I'm considering), I'd run it with :

Admt Intimidate Luxray w/Zap Plate
    Baby-doll eyes
    Wild Charge
    Superpower
    Volt-switch(?)

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I think Whimsicott with Charm is a little better off. Prankster + Charm harshly reduces Attack.

Good defense score and the only huge weakness it has is to Poison.

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    I think Whimsicott with Charm is a little better off. Prankster + Charm harshly reduces Attack.

Good defense score and the only huge weakness it has is to Poison.

While that's nice, I think Luxray's intimidate can come more in handy for double battles, where it can lay down 3 stages of debuffs. Whimsicott is also more of a support poke, so people who are looking for an offensive alternative can rely more on Luxray, who can hit hard even if enemies try to swap out of the buff.

Correct me if I'm wrong but looking further into this, I think Lux can also learn ice fang, which comes in handy if you predict them to swap into a grass type to get a type advantage while simultaneously getting rid of the debuff.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • A healthy Mega Aggron is a pretty good stop to most physical attackers because of its Shuckle-level Defense and Filter ability. Mega Venusaur also uses its good Defense and Thick Fat ability to check other physical threats like Mega Lucario. Going back in the past, there's still Skarmory.

I'm not sure how viable Baby-Doll Eyes Luxray is, tbh.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Giving Luxray Baby-Dolly Eyes doesn't change the fact that Luxray is a pretty bad Pokemon, for competitive use anyway. Even with the ability to reduce the opponents attack by at least -2 it still doesn't have the right movepool to do anything else. I guess Wild Charge and then Ice Fang + Superpower could do something but other than attack Luxray lacks in all the other areas. Garchomp could probably still destroy it with Earthquake.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • Physical attack's worst nightmare is three things.

1] Well-trained Pokemon
    2] The defender has a good moveset.
    3] If the attacker's attacks are all in vain or completely in-effective on the target.

If the defender has either; Charm, Baby-Doll Eyes, or, Feather Dance, it can cause issues with physical attack stat based pokemon. Intimidate can also do so as well...

In all honestly, I think if the set up is in the opponent's favor, then the battle is lost anyway.

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • Furfrou gets this move. Furfrou has an amazing ability (halves all damage it takes from physical moves). Furfrou can be a pretty good physical wall.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Eevee gets to have to this move, apparently, and so do all its evolutions. If any of us had a Vaporeon with Baby-Doll Eyes, I'm pretty sure that it would've been able to scare away many physical-sweepers.

This would fit better in Battle Center by the way, so I'm moving it there. d

Moved.

Back