• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A picture is worth a thousand words

Lozz

meow meow meow <3
    Years
    k. I'm heaps sober rn.
    How important are looks to you? I know I can want to like a person - but be handicapped by their physical appearance.

ARE YOU LIKE ME>!!>

Years
    Looks are definitely important. Mental attraction, or however you define it, is important, but appearance definitely plays a big role. You wouldn't be selfish in saying that. I say this assuming we're talking about like relationships that go beyond friendship.

For things like friendship, I feel the opposite. Appearance obviously does play a role, but it shouldn't really in my opinion. You should like someone and hang out with them for their personality. But in more serious relationships there should be that sexual attraction, for obvious reasons. That's what I think anyways.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Well, my looks are very important to me because it determines how I feel about myself that day. If I like the way I look I'm more likely to engage in social interactions and feel good about myself and not go to the bathroom a lot to primp.

The looks of other people... hmmm... I know online when I first see a picture of an internet friend and they look different than how I pictured them, I'm always like "oh... is that what you look like?" and get a little upset.

I tip the pizza delivery boy/girl and waiters and waitresses more if I think they look like I'd be friends with them and that deals with their looks lmao. Not necessarily someone hot or anything like that, just someone that looks like I'd be friends with them.

When I meet new people, I'm more than likely to go to someone who I think looks better (again, not necessarily someone that's hot or anything like that) hanging out with me than someone who doesn't. I'll more than likely go talk to the guy in plaid and jeans than the one in checkered polo and overalls, or the girl with nice long hair that goes to her shoulders over the one wearing it in a ponytail, for example.

Years
    I think it's impossible to ignore body image. Physical attraction is a factor in being attracted to a romantic partner. I've tried being with someone whom I didn't find attractive physically and I always felt uncomfortable and awkward around them. In a sense, it's still about being yourself. So body image kinda evolves into mental attractiveness. Everyone like something physically about their romantic partner or anyone else, really. It's all about what you like. For example, I love the way my fiance looks and I've been attracted to him physically for a long time, not because of his body type or the way his hair is, but simply cause he's nice for my eyes to look at. This is so hard for me to put into words, but people can like the way you look for how you look in a way in which they're not just liking you physically and putting it before your personality. In a whole - Body image isn't exactly important rather than being kinda natural. I hope that makes sense and I got my point through as I haven't spoken so much English in a long time XD;

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
    I don't know if this is about people or and actual Image like picture.

Hahahahah I'm only Kidding lmaooooo

To the question. I really don't play favourite to what someone looks like cos I say that the real beauty comes from the Inside (The heart). Yes you would like to be with someone beautiful but that will be no use if you know nothing about the persons personality, Its the personality that determines the connection made between two people.

So looks to me really isn't a factor I will usually look at the personality and see if there is a connection regardless physical looks. ;D

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Looks are very important to me in finding a partner. Attraction is where you start; you're not going to approach somebody for romantic interest if you don't find them attractive. Simple fact.

For just regular friends though, it doesn't matter all that much to me. I'm not going to pretend it's completely irrelevant, but it doesn't play nearly as big a deciding role in the friend-making process. Generally, if you're nice to me I'll be nice to you :)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    They certainly matter, but they shouldn't define a sort of relationship, at least, not all the way. If we're just talking about being friends, then most of the time, I'm okay with someone who doesn't look amazing. But if we're talking about something more, then the looks are a considerably bigger concern. Granted, I wont marry a Barbie that acts like an ass, but looks are important.

Jek

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 17, 2012
    Important enough. The whole 'looks don't matter; what's on the inside is what's a person's defining property' doesn't totally apply to me, especially if that person isn't attractive to me. I wouldn't honestly approach someone whom I don't feel at all attracted to.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Uhhh important but not overly. I guess when thinking about people I tend to think about when they looked best rather than how they looked last time I saw them.

Oh wait are we talking about liking someone? I've only had crushes on good looking people which means I'm either good at picking, or the personality outweighs the looks enough for me OR I only care about looks which when considering the Internet probably not true. I care way more about how I look though lmao.

Subtle Blue

Professional Lurker
    Years
    Unless they're downright horrifying to look at, I'm good.

When it comes to attraction I'm really not visually-oriented at all, which led to a lot of confusion about my orientation once upon a time. I even remember being fourteen years old and scampering about the more risque parts of the Internet with some lady friends, with a totally blank expression as they kept bursting out in gigglefits and oohs.

Years
    For a romantic partner yeah I need to be physically attracted to them. As far as friendships go, I'll generally be more inclined to befriend people who are 'better looking' than others. First impressions are important and physical appearance plays a big role in that.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I will judge someone immediately by how they look. Of course, that judgment never lasts, since I'm ready to give people a chance based on their personality. I can befriend someone despite their outward appearances, and after a while of knowing someone, their outer appearances don't really factor into my relationship with them.

If we're talking about romantic relationships, I'd say that looks do matter to an extent, but I wouldn't really know for sure, since I've never been in a relationship before.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Of course I care about looks some, but my idea of guys I like are different from most girls. I prefer a guy I can snuggle, that looks sturdy but not hard-bodied because that's uncomfortable to hug/snuggle.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Looks aren't everything, but they still matter to some degree. After all, I don't want to date someone who looks like Sasquatch regardless of whether they have a good personality or not. Of course, I don't want to date a model who ends up being a complete jerk and eventually kills me for my life insurance either. I guess for me it's balancing how they look with the type of personality they are.

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
    Years
    If you are ugly gtfo, I will not talk to you.

Not really. I don't gave a rat's behind what people look like. Never have. Never will. End of.

What is "ugly", anyway? My tastes of that apparently (in general) seem to be very different than that of "normal" people's. So. yeah. Guess cause I think ugly comes from the inside.

Then again we're talking about me, who has friends with "ugly" deformed people of all sorts. Freaking burn victims. Farking Neurofibromatosis patients. Ducking mutants. You name it, I talk to it. As long as they don't get an attitude with me.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2013
    Yep~ Personality is what counts ultimately, but like a lot of people have mentioned in this thread, it's something that's pretty hard to ignore >>; But recently I guess I just found myself preferring looks in people that I have crushes on, and then personality being that second(but deciding) factor on whether I'll like them or not.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    When it comes to friends, I don't really care all that much about their physical appearance as long as they are hygenic and somewhat presentable.. because I feel that if they dont take care of themselves, it does make me question how much they value the friendship if they can't value themselves enough to make sure they don't smell and etc.

When it comes to relationships.. yes I do feel that you need physical attraction just as much as being attracted to their personality. Also, eyes are the window to their soul so.. for me, they especially need to have eyes I find personally attractive.

Back