• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A question that has baffled every Professor since Crystal...

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    Being that I'm ALWAYS the girl, no matter what game, I'll most definitely be May. She's my favourite Pokemon protagonist after all! In game and in the anime! <3

Years
    For my main one I might pick the guy and name him my real name like I did in my main White 2 and X copies. But if there's character customization i'll likely go female in other playthroughs.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    Male, either keep up the Severus name tradition, or revive the Luigi name traditiom.
    *crosses fingers for Nickname option*.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2016
    I'm always the girl because I'm female, plus I love May <3 After Misty she's my favourite female protagonist <3

Years
    I always stick with the female since that's my gender irl and I feel most comfortable playing as it. (✿´‿`) Though Brendan has a really cool design and I might nab Omega Ruby as my secondary version to play through as him. :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I played as myself in X (male) and while I usually pick female for the next game in a generation I'll probably stick with Brendan for this game because I played as him in the originals.

I'll most likely pick Female in Pokemon Z.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    I don't know man. My name is Brenden, so I kind of want to play as Brendan and I usually always play as a male. But... if they keep May's design the same as it used to be I may chose her, because let's face it, May and Misty where pretty hot back in the day.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Nice thread title!

I'll be playing as a male/Brendan (provided that he returns, which I think is likely), to match my own gender (and so I can stare dreamily in May's eyes whenever I go to her house in Littleroot Town); I don't ever play as the female characters unless in temporary cases where I want to experience the minor dialogue/music changes and the like.. Although playing as May kind of fits the Pokemon anime better (since in that capacity, Gym Leader Norman is the player's father, matching Anime!May's dad), not that it matters much.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    I usually do males

I usually play as the male trainer because I'm a male. I don't care how stupid he looks *looks at Lucas*, but I want to feel like I'm in the game running around. It's just easier to do that with my character having the same sex.

KazukoHimura

"I guess I'm just a bit hungry..."
    Years
    For me it's usually one in one game and the other in the other-I've done that since R/S/E-though I don't remember what I did for Emerald (I didn't get Platinum), and Crystal was an automatic female since I had males in G/S (obviously.)

As for the professors asking your gender, that didn't actually start until third gen-in Crystal, you were asked before you set the time.

Years
    Brilliant title haha and I'll be playing as May cause she's my girl haha but as Brendan is also one of my all-time favourite protagonists, I'll definitely be doing a run-through with him as well at some point :) But yeah for my first revival of the Hoenn experience, it'll be with May :)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Brendan is the cutiest of all the protagonists, so of course I'm going to play as him. Plus, he's always had this air of being that punk rock, alternative kind of guy, but also has a decent brain in him.

...plus he's a total babe.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    I always play as the female character, at least for my permanant save file, and I usually use the default character name. Sometimes I switch things up for challenge save files, etc.

Years
    My name's Brendan. There's a character named Brendan. Seems like a pretty obvious choice to me.

Though, even if that weren't the case, I'd still go with Brendan anyway, as everytime I start a new Pokemon game, I always go with the male character. Funny enough, the only time I didn't choose the male was on my second playthrough of Sapphire, and that was just so I could have the novelty of facing a rival with the same name as me.

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
    I'll be playing the male role on my first time through the games. It does correspond to my gender, anyway.

...I'll play as Brendan in Ruby and May in Sapphire 'cause even though she's a video game character, "she fiiiiiiine".

Last edited:
    Back