• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Roselia by any other name

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Generally when we play Pokemon, we tend to gloss over the names unless we dislike them - it doesn't really matter as long as we can pronounce it and know what the other person is talking about, right? But if you go to any Bulbapedia page, you'll see that each name was crafted carefully to highlight what the Pokemon is based on, what type it is, or what the Pokemon's personality is. There's quite a bit of thought put into each name, so let's appreciate our favorites!

What's your favorite Pokemon name?

For me, I have to go with Mareep. I find the way they put it together so great - not only does it have Mary from "Mary had a little lamb" fame, but the "eep" of sheep and it's also an anagram of ampere, a unit of electricity! I can never get over how great that name is.

There are some French ones that I just think are hilarious and great though. Some examples are Roucarnage (Pidgeot), Psykokwak (Psyduck), Electhor (Zapdos), and Lançargot (Escavalier).

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    It certainly isn't my favourite because you know, I didn't go through all 600+ to pick out the ones I like the most, but the one that came to mind was Qwilfish! I like the Q in general, and Qwil just sounds very cute, especially with the word 'fish' following it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Honchkrow is one of my favorite Pokemon names; it's a crow who commands a flock of crows to do its bidding.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    GARchomp, the Manly Pokemon.

But seriously, Mawile the wily maw struck me as quite clever for how obvious it should be, and it sounds as quirkily cute as the thing looks.

GokuRikaku

Sup?
    Years
    Amoonguss. I find that name amusing for some reason. When ever I say it, I say it in a weird way like "Amoooooooongus." If I ever use an Amoonguss, its hard for me to call it anything other than Amooooongus cause its so amusing to me.

Years
    Spheal. Gotta be Spheal. It's got the whole word-mashing name that most pokemon have, but they got two words (sphere and seal) mashed together into a single syllable that still evokes both words and sounds cute.

I also love the Japanese name for Jigglypuff - Purin - because that's the same word for pudding. xD

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
    I liek Gothitelle, because I've always like gothic things. So when I saw the names released, I was hoping it would of been some amazing. A bit let down with what they could of done, but Gothitelle is still one of my favorites.

Also, Lampent, I like that name a lot.

Years
    I actually have 3, I'm terrible at making decisions.

Anyways, these 3 are my favorite. Meganium's name is one of the better word amalgamations when it comes to Pokemon [Mega+Geranium, for those that don't know] and is definitely a creative one as well, given that Meganium isn't directly based on any one animal, so they couldn't slap something like 'Flauropod' or 'Rabbush' on it. I like Buizel's name for the same reasons as I like Meganium; it's simply another creative word combination that was pulled off extremely well, especially in the subtle spelling, which doesn't directly include 'buoy' or 'weasel and also make it's name look better aesthetically. Finally, Electivire is just fun to say, really, I remember when I was much younger and watched Electivire appear in the anime for the first time, and remembering how cool the name was, the 'v' in place of the 'w' in wire really helps it sound better, although having two v's and having it named Electivvire would be even more creative, given that two consecutive v's look like a 'w'.

Back