• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Small Part.....

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    ok so I'm part of a school production and we are playing at this competition with other schools. I heard they give out awards to best actors and ect so I want to know that I have atleast chance of winning. So my two questions are: a. Would supporting roles be eligable to get awards usually? b. I have a supporting role (not main not minor) and I'm a little kid in a family. How would I act better (type of reactions, mannerisms)?

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Of course you've got a shot! Anybody that is on that stage during the production has a chance for an award. I personally don't have any advice other than: Don't hold back!

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Ok, my sister is a straight play actress and is going to Tisch School of the Arts at NYU this fall, so I've picked up a few things during her career.

A. For sure small (ish) parts are eligible. There have been plenty of small parts my sister has played, and it didn't diminish her reputation as an actress at all. Main roles are the main part of the show of course, but as a small part you keep the show together. It doesn't matter the size of the role, it matters how well you portray that role.

B. It's a pretty simples answer. First off, it depends on what show it is. Maybe you could enlighten us a bit about what the show is? And secondly, all it takes is this: Think back to any show you've seen before, it would be especially nice if you've seen this play before. Now, remember what you liked about the small parts in the show. Don't steal the show, as that isn't your job, but act as best as you can. Get a feeling of who the character is, maybe find a background story for him/her. Then when you are rehearsing your lines, remember who the character is as a person. Is the person flamboyant, outgoing, what? Think of what your character would do in that situation, and what kind of emotions they would express.

Just remember, all you can do it your best. You do that, and you'll be great, I guarantee you'll shine.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    People from my school had won awards, and most of them were supporting. :D

You have a chance for sure. To act better as a little kid, try to find a high pitch voice that does not squeak yet does not still sound like puberty hit you hard in the head (Which literally does happen but that is something else). @~@

Oh, and trust me, picturing people in their underwear does no good at all :3

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    You definitely have a chance to make a difference, it's just that you have to be aware of yourself on stage. I've written a few play-like things, and I've been in one production, which means that my advice will probably just be crap, but bear with me...

One of the greatest problems I see with high school plays is what people do with their hands. It may not seem important, but if your hands are fidgety, that's almost always a blaring signal to your audience that you don't know what you're doing (unless it's in your character!). You also have to know how you have to say your lines, obviously. if your character is angry, say it with an angry affectation (this is going somewhere) but one of the greatest problems in amateur productions is that people do this too well. Act like you're talking to your friends, not acting.

The worst part for some is the audience. I honestly have never had a problem with this, so I can't help you. All I can say is that you should try to look into the audience and at the person you're in the scene with, but don't focus on one person for too long while saying your lines. The worst thing you can do is stare blankly into the audience.

Back