• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Spriters journey...

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2010
    My first scratch sprite! It is supposed to be an eel covered with rocks...I will try to make its (pre) evolutions later... How is it?
    A Spriters journey...
    EDIT:No one is saying anything! Is it that bad!??

Last edited:

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    No one is posting because you need four examples in order to have a thread. Add three examples to keep this open. Thank you.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    It's alright. One thing I did today that made it easier was to Paint over my hand drawing with a dark color, *using photoshop* Removing any layers I had below and turning it into an index image, (You can also do this with other programs like Gimp) And then I shrunk it down to an 80x80 pixel image that resulted in an albeit slightly distorted image that is easily fixed and edited to make a finished sprite.

My best advice to you though is that the magnifier tool is your best friend for when you sprite with a mouse.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2010
    OK then! I improved the first one and made its pre evolutions! Please rate, and....help with names?
    A Spriters journey...
    A Spriters journey...
    A Spriters journey...

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    These sprites need a lot of work. First, the line art is poorly done. The lines are too rough and jagged which is not a common thing in organic beings. Try rounding out your lines to make them look more "realistic". Next, the shading. You need to first pick where the light source is. If these are done like regular pokemon sprites then the light comes from the top left. So, the lighter shades should be closer to the light source. Of course, this doesn't apply to the entire sprite because places such as the under side of the sprites head will be darker but you get the point. If you don't understand how to shade properly, look at other sprites. If that doesn't work, try making concept art before hand. The concepts aren't too creative, but if you improve their line art and shading then that's fine.

Heinze

~ Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2019
    Hmm =/
    Jagged Linearts, ugly shading, and bad concepts...
    I think you have a long way to go, Why don't you read pixel art tutorials before post your work, hope to see them better.
    Don't give up! =D

zommy08

Crimson Trainer
    Years
    Back