• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A thank you would have been nice

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Alright, let's do this. People do stuff all the time out of the kindness of their hearts, but lately, in my opinion, it seems people have said 'thank you' less and less. I don't know if they think it's automatically implied, or if they're just being jerks, but there has certainly been a drop in its usage as of late. What do you think about the phrase "thank you", and where it stands today?

And remember guys, let's try to get a CONVERSATION rolling here. Less and less post and go, more and more group convos and love <3 And remember, Thanksgiving is soon!

Years
    I don't think it's a big deal. People do things for each other every day. I'm sure when something's a big deal, that's when people show their gratitude.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    I use thank you. It's just a matter of common manners in my opinion. Which as you said, Dipu, seems to be growing less and less common.
    It's honestly such a shame. Whatever happened to class?

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
    I don't like "thanks"..i like the smiles better...i like my thanks to be in an action more than a word makes me feel better tbh....well,i think saying it too much makes it lose it's meaning....Thanks is just a word WE give it the meaning..some people say it as flattering which makes it so normal ..i mean like

Person A: Thanks

Person B:it doesn't matter

about where it stands today,i don't know where it's different from a person to another.

Years
    I have to remind myself to say things like this. I guess I'm one of those people who just assume it's assumed I'm grateful for things with some people. The overly formal feel of saying "thank you" and "you're welcome" always put me off so I don't do it when I don't remember to. I'm much more likely to use "sure" and "no problem" and things like that because they can feel more like a casual thing and I'd much rather get the formalities out of the way as soon as possible.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Oh wow, that's true actually, I legit just realized that. Everytime someone says thank you, I tend to respond with a "don't thank me" D:

Years
    I use thank you. It's just a matter of common manners in my opinion. Which as you said, Dipu, seems to be growing less and less common.
    It's honestly such a shame. Whatever happened to class?

I take offense to that statement. Is society too proletariat for you?

Honestly though, I'm pretty classless. I don't know how to respond when offered a glass of champagne. I think the fact that I'm an immigrant and living where I do means I never got to know a lot of people nor the "mainstream" way of doing things (perhaps there isn't one, considering the multiculturalism). As a result, I don't really know manners, nor do I "get" them. So my acts of thanking people can't really be explained in the context of manners, I think it's just self-expression.

As for the word itself, I agree with Broken_Arrow. It's just a word, which we give meaning in a social context. It's something that we're socialized to say. So if you're socialized to say it say it, if you're not then it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day there are many ways to express gratitude. Some people are just really bad at getting the words out.

And yeah, what's you're welcome even mean? Are they welcome somewhere? or abstract like my heart? or maybe they have obtained the state of being welcome whatever that is?

Years
    As for the word itself, I agree with Broken_Arrow. It's just a word, which we give meaning in a social context. It's something that we're socialized to say. So if you're socialized to say it say it, if you're not then it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day there are many ways to express gratitude. Some people are just really bad at getting the words out.

And yeah, what's you're welcome even mean? Are they welcome somewhere? or abstract like my heart? or maybe they have obtained the state of being welcome whatever that is?
    I've had people take offense to my not saying "Thank you." Older generation, to be specific, so it could be a generational thing.

I think it's like "you're welcome to [whatever I did or said that was nice to you] again." Or "I welcome/accept your thanks." Something like that.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, BiS, calm your face.
    Trust me, I'm most certainly not some rich guy, and I'm personally way, way, more comfortable killing time in a pub as opposed to sipping champagne on some balcony. (I have legit never even had Champagne.) I put my elbows on the table, and my shoes if I'm wanting to relax. I cut my food with a fork, and I've never worn formal wear.
    Manners doesn't mean being a prude. It's more about holding doors for people, or making sure to not let any of your food go to waste when eating at a friends house. A simple thank you, or your welcome, has in my experience no prerequisite of wearing a suit.

Things like saying 'thank you', helping somebody out, or just a friendly well wishing are, as far as I know not exclusive to any particular part of the world either. No matter where you go, if you're a really rude person then you're still going to be seen as a really rude person. But decency, basic decency is universal.

Years
    I think it's not that far off though. Maybe not that extreme, but it's like you expect someone to say something and they don't and you get put off. Like, imagine you buy coffee and the total is $1.97 and you give them $2 but they give give you 2 cents back. It's only a cent and doesn't really matter, but you're annoyed.

Years
    I think it's not that far off though. Maybe not that extreme, but it's like you expect someone to say something and they don't and you get put off. Like, imagine you buy coffee and the total is $1.97 and you give them $2 but they give give you 2 cents back. It's only a cent and doesn't really matter, but you're annoyed.

Hey you! Butthole! I gave you three and half favours, where's the thank you you owe me? You gave me "thanks", but the change is clearly a "thank you"! Thanks for nothing, bruh.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    I require that all my favors be repayed in hugs. However, I only charge attractive peoples of the female variety.
    Unfortunately I give a lot of favors away. :<

Years
    I'll tell you what's bad: my parents have a bad habit of never saying thank you when I do stuff for them, and it pisses me off a lot, considering I say it to them all the time.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think about this all the time when I hold the door open for someone. I don't understand why someone would thank me for just keeping the door open a little longer than it would have been open for just me to enter or leave a building. Why do we thank others for holding a door open?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Cause we're lazy butt holes who would rather everything be done for us, so one moment where we don't have to do anything sticks out.

Seem legit?

Back