• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen A thought about perfect IVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siigari

NU Addict
Years
  • I was reading through the thread on the "perfect stat" Pokes.. and took a minute to think.

Pokemon is a world-wide millions-of-sales game phenomena. If you consider for a moment that there are literally MILLIONS of copies of Pokemon being played, it is VERY POSSIBLE that there is a perfect IV Pokemon (31 in all stats). Whether or not it is the "ideal" nature however, is a different story.

Fact is, it's possible, and when a Poke is presented to have perfect stats, it should be not scrutinized, but analyzed carefully. Does it have more than 510 EVs? Does it look fishy? Is it Shiny? What kind of Pokeball caught it? etc. All these things are factors that go into the millions of hours that are put in EVERY DAY playing Pokemon.

Say that there is a one in a million chance of catching the perfect IV Poke. Let's say then that one million players each went out and caught a Pokemon. One of them may have a perfect Poke. Do that again in an hour. Again, there you go.

It IS FEASIBLE. Whether or not it's likely YOU have one, well, it's one in a million ;D

Last edited:

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Imagine a Pokemon that's shiny with perfect IVs. That's a one in an 8192 million chance.
    A thought about perfect IVs

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • Unfortunately you are incorrect

If one million people went out and caught a pokemon, they each would have a one in one million chance of getting a Perfect IV'd pokemon

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Unfortunately you are incorrect

If one million people went out and caught a pokemon, they each would have a one in one million chance of getting a Perfect IV'd pokemon

Yeah, that's true. But there's be a one million in one million chance that ONE of those people got a perfect IV'd Pokemon.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • one million in one billion you mean (if you add the people, you might as well add the percentage)

It's the same situation then when 8192 pokemon are caught, yet none of them are shiny

Siigari

NU Addict
    Years
  • No no no, follow me:

One person from the one million pool each fit a slot in the one million CHANCE. Well.. that's how I figure, at least. It's like saying this:

"I just bought 8192 copies of Pokemon Pearl and one of the starters was shiny."

Get me?

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • one million in one billion you mean (if you add the people, you might as well add the percentage)

It's the same situation then when 8192 pokemon are caught, yet none of them are shiny

... What? I think you have no idea what we're talking about. Either that, you just failed math. In that case, I'll walk you through it.

There is a one in one million chance of finding a perfect IV'd Pokemon.

1/1,000,000

One million people catch a Pokemon. That's one million tries.

1,000,000/1,000,000

Now, 1,000,000/1,000,000 is equal to 1. Therefore, there is a one in one chance that ONE of those people caught a perfect IV'd Pokemon.

Got it?

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • there are 3 situations that fit that

I bought 8192 copies of pokemon and one of the starters was shiny

I bought 8192 copies of pokemon and none of the starters was shiny

I bought 8192 copies of pokemon and a lot of the starters were shiny

There are a lot more possibilities than that (8193 to be exact)

All in all, there is nothing you do that can make the odds change

---
    Airconditing, don't insult me.. I majored in Math if you don't mind

I understand what your saying, but also my math was wrong, let me explain it for you

One million people catch One Pokemon

One pokemon has a One million in one chance to have perfect IVs

One million people can One Pokemon that has a One Million in one chance to have perfect IVs

(words are getting too long)

1,000,000 people obtain 1 pokemon, 1,000,000 in 1 to have Perfect IVs

=> 1,000,000 : 1 becomes 1,000,000,000 : 1,000,000 or 1,000,000 : 1

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    "You have 1 chance in 32 to get a an IV of 31 in one stat, 1 in 1,024 to get a max IV in two stats and 1 chance in 1,073,741,824 to find a Pokémon with max IV in all 6 stats."
    -IV calculator

Thus, it is possible, but it's highly unlikely... Shinies are easier to find and I've gone through pleanty of the Pokemon games without catching a Shiny at all, I can't tell you how many times I played through the 3rd gen and only got 1 shiny Spinda in Ruby... out of my 3 games I only got 1 and that was a LONG time ago.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • there are 3 situations that fit that

I bought 8192 copies of pokemon and one of the starters was shiny

I bought 8192 copies of pokemon and none of the starters was shiny

I bought 8192 copies of pokemon and a lot of the starters were shiny

There are a lot more possibilities than that (8193 to be exact)

All in all, there is nothing you do that can make the odds change

STATISTICS, MOTHER****ER, DO YOU SPEAK IT? We're not saying that after one million tries, it WILL happen. We're saying that STATISTICALLY, it's POSSIBLE.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Statistics don't change, never have never will

and asterisks don't cover up flaming so enjoy your report

*Facepalms heavily*

I'm not even going to bother trying anymore. And how am I supposed to make a Pulp Fiction reference if I can't curse, or at least use asterisks? Seriously.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    Perfect IVs are from 28-31 IIRC, since the game rounds down anyways, even if you have a 31 in a stat or any IV for that manner EV calculators can miscalculate from the actual value you have at level 100, so there is actually more of a chance to have perfect/near perfect IVs, if you have a Pokemon with 28+ in all stats, that's just as good as a Perfect IV Pokemon since they'd probably more than likely have the same stats as a 31 IV pokemon.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • STATISTICS, MOTHER****ER, DO YOU SPEAK IT? We're not saying that after one million tries, it WILL happen. We're saying that STATISTICALLY, it's POSSIBLE.
    You're getting a warning because of flaming in this post. Don't do it again, and you didn't even have a good reason.

Also, let me tell you this thread is a bit pointless, because everybody knows the chances of finding a perfect IV Pokémon are 32 x 6, so we don't really need a discussion about probabilities. It's a fact, no discussing. And the main idea of not discriminating them wasn't even referenced in the rest of the posts, so we don't really need this.

-CLOSED-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back