• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A thought about the Pokedex...

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
  • ~Amethyst_Callista_Moon~ said:
    "Pika" means "lighting" and "Chu" means "mouse". Therefore, Pikachu is a Lightning Mouse.

Nice try. Nezumi is mouse (or rat) and lightning is... something. But pika definately translates to spark*le* and chu is squeak, not the actual animal mouse. It's like if we had a Pokemon named Bow-wow-something, bow wow would be a dog noise, not the actual dog.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • I think A_C_Moon is right about the Pikachu thing. I read in a mag that that how they came up with Pikachu's name.

They come up with the classifications by how americans will see it. I think they were targeting little kids to young teens when it first came out so they just made the classifcations to relate to things they know. Like Sand Mouse. I would find that hard to understand at age 11. If they told me it was an alemdo then I understand Sandshrew more better.

Back