• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A very starry Pokéball catch (Possible new feature)

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
  • A very starry Pok?ball catch (Possible new feature)

Something odd just happened to me in Go that's never happened before.

I was lucky enough to come across a Skarmory, which I don't yet have in my Pok?dex. It broke out of the first ultra ball, but my second ultra ball caught it.

The ball did not wiggle at ALL. Instead, it immediately clicked (without any suspense wait time), and gave out stars. But the stars were much more plentiful, and they left streak trails, like shooting stars.

And even though the Skarmory was something I'd never caught before, it did not show the normal animation of the beast being added to my Pok?dex as a new addition. I went and checked later, and sure enough, my Pok?dex said Seen: 2, Caught: 1

Must be a new feature, but, this is far from the first New Species I've caught since the last update (listed as 5/16/17)

Any guesses as to what's the dealio?

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • That has happened to me a few times, but with regular Pokeballs. I once caught a Ghastly with a regular ball and it only wiggled once. I want to call those "critical throws" or "critical captures", because it gives you a better chance of actually capturing a Pokemon.

As for the "seen/capture" That was implemented earlier this year (forgot when, but it was definitely this year). If you enter a gym or encounter a Pokemon and you haven't seen it until then, it will count towards your "seen". Personally it throws me off, because I'd rather have my seen and caught numbers to be the same lmao

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I think there are 3 starry animations, it seems rather random to me.

There is the standard one, then there is one where a much larger amount of stars shoot upwards, and then there also is one where the stars shoot out in a wavy pattern.

The only thing i noticed is that they are rather rare.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • There are three capture animations.

1. Default. Three shakes. Three little stars pop out briefly to confirm.
    2. Critical capture. One shake. Shooting star fires out in a wavy animation.
    3. Lag. In between landing the ball and returning the results, issues with server communications return with a successful capture (or not), skipping the usual shake animations.

Disregarding the third, there are no other built-in capture animations. Visual bugs do exist, though.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • What exactly is a critical capture? I've never heard of it before.

Also, a critical capture does not explain why the new-species Pokedex display/animation did not show.
    (I can't remember whether or not the following screen showed -- the one that displays the individual you just caught.)

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    Well to be more specific a crit capture in the main series games is pretty much just throwing the ball, hearing a whistling noise as it throws then when it catches the ball shakes once and the Pok?mon either catches or breaks out. It's not a guaranteed catch, though it greatly shortens the suspense of the normal 3 shakes.

In the main series games I believe crit captures are more common the fuller your Pokedex is. I typically get them when I use a ball at the best time to use it, like a dusk ball at night/in a cave or if the Pok?mon has a status condition like sleep which makes them less likely to break out of the ball.

In this game I think the main differences are no whistling noise when you throw the ball(Unless there is a noise? I usually have the game muted), and the arrow animation. I don't know if a Pok?mon can break out of a crit capture in Pok?mon Go.

Back