• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A virus?

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I think I have a virus that my antivirus cant pick up.
    What happens is the Rick rollin song plays at a random time in my internet browser. I have no idea when its going to happen.

My questions are:
    Do you think this is a virus abd if it is, do you think its going to be deadly?
    How I should get rid of it if my scanner doesn't pick it up?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • it may not be a virus, it may just be spyware od adware, My suggestion would be to run any Anti- spyware/adware programs you have, then restart your system. If it still happens (assuming this is firefox doing this) uninstall/reinstall firefox. If it's IE, I'm out of answers, I never use it.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Ive scanned my pc for viruses, adware and spyware but nothing.
    I dont want to reinstall firefox at the loss of my plugins and themes. and my pc was restarted last night.

urban_guerrilla

Two-tone Panther
    Years
  • Of all the malware that you could have been infected with (assuming that's what it is), that's actually quite funny*. Nonetheless, have you made sure that your antivirus/anti-everything else programs are all up to date? Otherwise they might not be able to pick this up.

*Sorry, not helpful at all. *slaps own wrist*.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • you don't have to lose all of your plug-ins, themes, an bookmarks. you can easily export you bookmarks and just go into your them/plug-in manager and create a list in notepad of all of the items you use and then you should be able to find them extremely easily when you reinstall

fluffyfiremew

Fluffydragon
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2008
    Ok most new viruses stop anti-viruses form updating so then it can't find the new virus.

Also the best thing that finds viruses that are hiding in your computer is Nanoscan Heres a link
    nanoscan.com

Do the test.
    Once done do total scan
    full scan Aprox.1hour

It will show the viruses and where they are plus what they are all free of charge(at the end).

I did this when my computer had a virus and it helped alot.

DO NOT SWITCH YOUR COMPUTER OFF UNTIL YOU ARE INTIRELY SURE THE VIRUS HAS GONE.
    Because the computer may not start up and you may have to wipe(delete everything on hard drive)your computer

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
  • fluffy, she already turned her PC off and then on.

You could also try rebooting in safe mode and then scanning with Norton.
    You might have to do a system restore if rebooting in safe mode, then scanning doesn't work.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Whoever invented that virus has a sense of humour XD

Look in your startup if theres anything odd there, or when it does run, bring up Applications/Processes and see if you can identify it there.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Not much I can do this week because I'm not at home.
    But thanks for your help. Ill have a go at sorting it when I get home.

Zet

Years
  • I recommend Avast, that usually does a good job since it has a high detection rate(better than norton, mcfee, trend micro and some other crap anti spyware/anti virus protection)

Back