• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A wild Windows Phone user appeared!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Have you ever used a Windows Phone? Have you used its predecessor, Windows Mobile? This mobile operating system is probably not as popular as the Big Two, but it seems to be gaining traction these days... at the expense of BlackBerry.

What do you think of the OS? Do you think you could live with Windows Phones?

Last edited by a moderator:

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
    At first impression, I was like, "Oh God, that OS looks ugly!".
    After actually trying it, I was like, "Wow! Not even a single Lag at all, and the owner Claims to have this Phone a whole year already!".

Windows Phone is an OS that practically never Lags, meanwhile on Android, it even Lags for me after the first 5 months of having an Android Phone.
    My brother has a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 820), and the more I see it in action, the quicker I want my own Lumia Phone.

As for Windows Mobile, I did try out Windows Mobile 6.5 on somebody's old HTC HD 2, that was one of the most complicated things I've ever used on a portable device.

But when my Contract ends in October, I'll get the latest Lumia, although the Nokia Lumia 1020 looks strange, it's like a Camera you can call with.
    I do hope TomTom will finally bring its Apps to Windows Phone, it's probably my only hold back, though.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's a bit funny how the 1.5-year-old Nokia Lumia 900 (from purchase date) still runs like new.

Years
    I guess I can officially come into this topic and say that I am a Windows Phone user, specifically Windows Phone 8, with a Lumia 520. So far I really like it's performance as well, especially with how smooth scrolling in Internet Explorer is on the device, for a device that only has 512 MB of RAM.

The one quirk I have with Windows Phone though is that you cannot charge the device without it being turned on, and I know that problem exists on a lot of WP phones as well, but it's nothing too annoying if you ask me.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Sometimes I feel like I've skipped a beat or two when borrowing my dad's Samsung Galaxy S IV. It's supposed to be superior to my Nokia Lumia 900 in almost single way.

Somehow, that thing managed to be slow to respond and animate. It felt very jarring when things just pop out of nowhere after a noticeable delay.

MKGirlism

Years
    Actually, Zach, my brother can charge his Windows Phone while turned on (he does it all the time when he's home or at the office).

And Twiggy, as I said before, Android just Lags after a while, after purchase.
    Every Android Phone has this problem, no matter how powerful they are.
    There is a reason I said I want to switch to Windows Phone as soon as possible.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Actually, Zach, my brother can charge his Windows Phone while turned on (he does it all the time when he's home or at the office).

And Twiggy, as I said before, Android just Lags after a while, after purchase.
    Every Android Phone has this problem, no matter how powerful they are.
    There is a reason I said I want to switch to Windows Phone as soon as possible.

I think Zach meant the phone not being able to charge without booting the entire OS.

I wonder whether iOS is as lag-free as they claim...

Years
    iOS definitely has lag.. especially when you have a game app open and you're switching to a different app.

And yes, that's exactly what I meant.. not being able to charge the phone without having to open up the operating system.

MKGirlism

Years
    My mum has an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1, and I can say, it Lags a bloody lot.
    My little sister has an iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1, and it doesn't Lag much, but it does.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just need to find a perfect Windows Phone upgrade for me in the next month. February can't come soon enough - and I'm skipping my carrier, since I'm not recontracting, and the phone's unlocked anyway.

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I have Windows phone ( Nokia Lumia 620). I got it in April it still runs pretty smoothly and doesn't lag.
    But I don't like the family setting thing...it took me almost a month to activate it and the nokia store doesn't have many apps. :p

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Sometimes I wish I could buy a Lumia 520 and swap out the 900's guts with what's on the 520 that is superior to the 900's internals.

I can't, though.

I hope I can afford a 1320, because, well... it'd be a nice upgrade.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Lol Windows Phone.

Not always though with Android, stock Android is pretty good. Don't think Touchwiz (Samsung) is Android it hardly is. And the Moto X has optimizations with hardware like ios, stock android, TRIM support, so its fast and going to still be in the future because of TRIM.

But really, I do sorta like Windows Phone. Thinking about buying a cheap second hand device to play around with. Sometimes I install Launcher 7/8 plus some other Wp7 themed apps on my phone to have fun.

But I don't think its quite there yet for me to fully switch.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Lol Windows Phone.

Not always though with Android, stock Android is pretty good. Don't think Touchwiz (Samsung) is Android it hardly is. And the Moto X has optimizations with hardware like ios, stock android, TRIM support, so its fast and going to still be in the future because of TRIM.

But really, I do sorta like Windows Phone. Thinking about buying a cheap second hand device to play around with. Sometimes I install Launcher 7/8 plus some other Wp7 themed apps on my phone to have fun.

But I don't think its quite there yet for me to fully switch.

Just remember that not everyone thinks stock Android is a good thing. Sometimes, the customized versions might suit a person's need more than stock Android.

Either way, I still dream about my next phone for some reason. Can't possibly be healthy in the long run.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Just remember that not everyone thinks stock Android is a good thing. Sometimes, the customized versions might suit a person's need more than stock Android.

Either way, I still dream about my next phone for some reason. Can't possibly be healthy in the long run.

That is true, I mean Touchwiz is sorta nice but it seriously needs a debloat and some slight redesign. Sense needs to be a mix between Sense 3/4/5.
    Get a phone you truley love, like me and my Moto X. Only thing though is the camera sometimes.

Anyways thats off-topic discussion. :P

Things I would change about Windows Phone is a slightly easier ui, I like the metro look, but sometimes it seems complicated, like the settings. I don't really like Xbox so I don't like how their pushing that. But its a fun OS. Time to make my android into a windows phone again.

MKGirlism

Years
    I have stock Android (I started out with Nexus One, now I have Galaxy Nexus), and it Lags on both Phones!
    Good thing I don't have another GUI on it, because that'd have been even worse.

Years
    It's okay to spur off small discussions not related to the topic, but please try to stay on topic. If you guys want to discuss smartphone customizations, please take it to a new topic! :3

MKGirlism

Years
    It makes sense, it's not possible to customise Windows Phone as deeply, but all ups have their downs.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
    I'm in love with my Lumia 920. As far as the OS goes itself, it is the best you can get for a phone by far in my opinion. iOS and Android just seem too cluttered to me. I'm on my second windows phone, and I plan on having several more in the future. I always upgrade when I get the chance. The neat thing about both of the Windows Phones that I have owned is that I have dropped both so many times and didn't have a scratch on either. My first one (Samsung focus) fell out of my pocket while I was racing on a go-cart track at a park and was run over by the guy behind me! Not a scratch on it either.

MKGirlism

Years
    Don't getting a scratch is more related to build quality, than which OS it runs on.

Also, a question to those Lumia owners out there:
    I'm debating between Nokia Lumia 1520, 1020, or 920.
    The 1520 has the best Hardware, the 1020 has the best Camera, and the 920 has the best price.
    Does it really matter, other than Hardware specs and Phone Design, which one I get?
    According to Tweakers.net, the 920 one costs € 292,-, the 1020 one costs € 574,95, and the 1520 one costs € 663,-, all based on the cheapest price.

But again, does it matter, in terms of general performance (all I need, is Email, Skype, Calendar, and Wallet, and maybe Twitter, but other than these Apps, I don't need anything).

Back