• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Ability Capsule

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
  • Has anyone used this before? What were your thoughts? Do you think it could have competitive purposes?

I found it interesting this was introduced. I havent used it yet. Not sure if I should get it or not

Ribbon

The Queen of Shinx
    Years
  • I'm planning on getting it for my Luxray. Since he has intimidate and Rivalry, it would be awesome if he appears in battle, cuts down the enemy's Attack and if it ends up the same gender, he could also give himself a Attack boost, too.

But I haven't gotten the capsule yet. :/

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Yeah Ive used it to change two of my pokemon's abilities. I think this is only used for outside of battle.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Ability Capsule allows you to switch between your Pokémon's abilities, right? I've managed to get a hold of this item while I was in Battle Masion, but never really used it. Some people may find this item to be useful in-game, but when it comes to competitive battling, though, all of its usefulness go away in an instant. When you're battling competitively, items matter. You always have to make sure that you're giving your Pokémon the correct item, and not the wrong one. If you make them hold such a thing like this, then it may limit their performance. If Ability Capsule had an additional effect, though, such as giving some sort of a boost to your overall stats, then maybe it would've been a good item for competitive play. But since it doesn't have it, the item's a bit redundant, in my opinion. d:

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Is it a usable item? Serebii and Bulbapedia don't have it as hold items. Bulba has it as medicine like the X Items.

Years
  • Ability Capsule is a bit situational but still, very useful for Pokemon that need it. Scyther/Scizor with Swarm is the best example I can come up with, especially if it's from Gen III.

Is it a usable item? Serebii and Bulbapedia don't have it as hold items. Bulba has it as medicine like the X Items.

Yes.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • So then it doesn't take the place of a hold item.

It just works like a usable item. For example if I use the ability capsule on Scyther with Swarm, its ability will change to Technician and then the ability capsule will be gone forever. It works similiarly to items like rare candy, PP Up, etc. as far as I'm concerned. One use and it's gone.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    My understanding was, outside of battle, it was a permanent switch of abilities, bearing no relevance to competitive aspects.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • So it can't be used in competitive play then. Since you cannot use items in competitive play.

No, its used outside of battle. Using Seattles example, say you bred a shiny Scyther. You were really excited until you saw it had the inferior Swarm. Well now you have the ability to change it to Technician PERMANENTLY (unless you use another capsule) for only 200 BP.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • No, its used outside of battle. Using Seattles example, say you bred a shiny Scyther. You were really excited until you saw it had the inferior Swarm. Well now you have the ability to change it to Technician PERMANENTLY (unless you use another capsule) for only 200 BP.

for only, koff~

Only 200 points. Ha! How long did it take you to save up. It'd take me forever and three days. Three days. . . also, this item sounds like it could be really useful for certain Pokemon with really stupid abilities; Defeatist or Klutz anyone? No one wants those. No one, koffi~

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Ability Capsule is a bit situational but still, very useful for Pokemon that need it. Scyther/Scizor with Swarm is the best example I can come up with, especially if it's from Gen III.

Yes.

Yes my darling Scizor that was collecting dust can finally see her limelight!
    I say it's one of the best additions from XY! ^^
    My Modest Milotic can get more aggressive with this item. {:3}

Last edited:

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • for only, koff~

Only 200 points. Ha! How long did it take you to save up. It'd take me forever and three days. Three days. . . also, this item sounds like it could be really useful for certain Pokemon with really stupid abilities; Defeatist or Klutz anyone? No one wants those. No one, koffi~

You get 244 BP for beating 50 trainers in Super Singles, including the boss. That's enough to pay for the Ability Capsule. Every battle after that gives you 7 BP.

Getting the Ability Capsule shouldn't be a problem if you care enough about what ability your Pokémon has.

Years
  • Ok Secondary question. Does that apply to hidden abilities as well? That you can switch to them?

I guess I shouldn't say anything since I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that you can't, and that it only works if the Pokemon has two standard abilities, and it will switch between them.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Ok Secondary question. Does that apply to hidden abilities as well? That you can switch to them?

I've tried to switch my Greninja Torrent ability to Protean with the capsule and it said "it doesn't have any effect", so you can only switch between normal abilities.

Back