• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Ability Discussion

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Here's a fun thing to do with Machamp's new ability No Guard:

In a Double/Triple Battle, send out Machamp and the Shiny Movie Suicune.

Machamp's No Guard makes all moves known by all Pokemon on the field have 100% accuracy. Shiny Movie Suicune knows Sheer Cold (you can use any other Pokemon that knows a similar move.)

Now, here's the best part. Have Machamp use Wide Guard. That is like protect, only it protects all the Pokemon on your side that are out.

Wallah! You can easily take out a few Pokemon with Sheer Cold. :P

Machamp had No Guard last generation, lol :P

EDIT: It's a nice idea competitively, provided OHKO clause isn't on.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but I'm really liking every pokemon that gets Mischievous Heart. +1 status moves are going to be awesome, like Encore on speed boosters setting up, or Taunt Anti-leads, or even priority sleep:D

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I remember one annoying ability alot of trainers pokemon bad earlier in the game, it stopped a pokemon from fainting in one move - very annoying, I know that little cromestone thingee pokemon has it!~

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I remember one annoying ability alot of trainers pokemon bad earlier in the game, it stopped a pokemon from fainting in one move - very annoying, I know that little cromestone thingee pokemon has it!~

The all new and improved Sturdy me thinks :)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    The all new and improved Sturdy me thinks :)
    I feel all nooby because I didn't know that! :O
    Well it looks like they've given it to alot of Trainers pokemon in BW for a bit of a challenge, me likes :3

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    My least favorite ability would be Weak-kneed. It's a hindering ability, similar to Truant and Slow Start. Your stats being seriously crippled when you reach below 50% health does no good (considering the fact that Aakeosu, who has that ability, has good offensive stats and Speed).

Aakeosu's ability is still not nearly as crippling as Truant. Chances are, if you're not able to take down your opponent in one turn, you're going to die anyway, so the ability makes little difference. U-turn is incredibly useful for getting out of situations like this. Afterwards, you can just switch him in when you know he can KO the opponent.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Aakeosu's ability is still not nearly as crippling as Truant. Chances are, if you're not able to take down your opponent in one turn, you're going to die anyway, so the ability makes little difference. U-turn is incredibly useful for getting out of situations like this. Afterwards, you can just switch him in when you know he can KO the opponent.

Yep. Not to mention you can keep him reasonably powerful/healthy with a bit of Wish support. Slaking is unfortunately doomed to one turn only.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    Machamp had No Guard last generation, lol :P

EDIT: It's a nice idea competitively, provided OHKO clause isn't on.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but I'm really liking every pokemon that gets Mischievous Heart. +1 status moves are going to be awesome, like Encore on speed boosters setting up, or Taunt Anti-leads, or even priority sleep:D

totally agree, i used to run scarf + encore sets, but it's not even necessary anymore! =D

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

I feel all nooby because I didn't know that! :O
    Well it looks like they've given it to alot of Trainers pokemon in BW for a bit of a challenge, me likes :3

I'm wondering if that'll turn into Gen 5's version of Protect (as in, there's no point in the foe using it, as you're going to cream them next turn anyway) once your Pokemon are higher-leveled and you're facing low-leveled foes... But early on in the game, it does seem like it would serve as a nice challenge!

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    I just had the most hilarious experience with one of the new abilities of Generation V-- I've started to train a couple Pokemon; Zorua and Meraruba, and decided to train Zorua first and leave Meraruba in the back (slot 4) so that its Flame Body ability can help hatch the Egg I have in slot 5.

Walk into a battle; a wild Mamepato appears!
    Go Meraruba!

...wait, what!?
    I sat there confused for a bit, until I mentally slapped myself for forgetting Zorua's Illusion ability... xD; I've found it to be an interesting ability, though; you can use it as a makeshift Smoke Ball-- at Level 4, I was able to run away cleanly while holding the Macho Brace, from Pokemon double that with it using Illusion to look like my Level 57 Jaroda.
    Zorua are going to be so fun to train~

Back