• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About Litten's final evolution.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
  • I've been predicting a tiger martial artist Pokemon for a long time now, due to how tigers are associated with Asian material arts like dragons, so imagine my excitement when my prediction came true.

Years
  • I never really thought Emboar looked much like a wrestler. I guess because it's part Fighting-type it makes it easy to see its design as inspired by a wrestler, but if it is it's more of a wrestler in a sporting sense than Litten3 which is more of a flamboyant pro-wrestler style.

Personally, I don't care for Litten3 because I find the design is too plain. Like, it looks like anyone's anthropomorphized catperson. Nothing about it really says "I'm a Pokemon" the way the other final evolutions do. I would not be surprised in the slightest if someone were to go through years-old artwork on deviantart and find almost the exact design of Litten3. It's just that typical looking.

It's certainly far better in design than Emboar, at the very least (although that bar is probably low enough that it probably doesn't matter).
    You take that back! Emboar is beautiful!

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I just really don't get all the hate he is getting, I think people is just looking at it the wrong way, ''all starters are bipedal so this is more of the same'' sure, but until now now all feline pokemon stand on all fours, Litten's evolution line is the first cat line to stand on 2 legs upon evolving, which is something new and unique in that regard, why would people want another generic feline for a starter?
    Spoiler:

Apart from that not making the tiger pokemon a Wrestler would have been a huge missed opportunity, tigers and wrestling just go together, and to make him stand out they made him a heel wrestler, he is a villainous starter and I love that, he has so much more personality than all previous fighter starters, and if he ends up being Fire/Dark is just going to be plain awesome~

Well I personally love him design, and I honestly can't wait to have him in game! (and get an actual name)
    I completely agree with you. Although Entei is also partially feline, and Pyroar disappointed me with its low Attack stat.

Sgt. Heracross

I Heracross my heart that I'm better than the rest
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I swear you could not replicate the look of disappointment on my face when I saw Litten's final evo. Personally, I'm going with Rowlet now. And there are a lot more things that came out of the datamining that lead to a lot of disappointment on my end.

I agree that Game Freak was going to make a bipedal evolution anyway because that's what it always has been in the past, but...I love Fire starters, man. And if Sun/Moon is supposed to be this fresh, new experience that we have never seen before, why couldn't they break the tradition and come up with something more original for the Pokemon that's going to be with you from the very start? My poor little kitten turned into this ugly hypermasculine thing, and I could not be more upset about it. And for the record, I don't care about how this design is "genius" because it's based off of Tiger Mask or whatever. I really could not care less.

Ah well, at least we still have Solgaleo, right? That thing looks awesome. I'll still be enjoying Sun/Moon, but...SO. MUCH. DISAPPOINTMENT.

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Years
  • Whatever the case, I can't wait to fight the champion's final Pokemon with Beltigre while shouting "I AM BECOME LASAGA" at the top of my lungs.

Hell, I've already created a really dumb story in my head where Silvally and Beltigre are the reincarnations of Odiey and Garfielf, and how they're on a mission to find the reincarnated versions of all the major characters that died during Fist of the B0rf Star. Also, I think that Gladion is the reincarnated form of Calbin.

Nobody gets what I'm saying, do they?

Years
  • I heard about El Tigre being Fire/Dark, which I kinda hope it would be since it would basically be the cat version of the Houndour family. Still going with Robinhoot though. As for Popplio, no. I don't hate it AS much when Popplio first came into sight, but I just was never interested in any water Starters that weren't Totodile or Oshawott.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I'll never understand why people care so much about the typing. Sure, let's say it's Fire/Dark. So what? It's still a fighter. GameFreak have still gone down the horribly overdone design route as in three other generations. The actual typing itself is irrelevant, right?

Does making it Fire/Fighting really ruin it? Well, I suppose a more appropriate question is: does making it Fire/Dark really salvage it?

It looks like a fighter, it fights like a fighter, it'll have a gazillion fighting type moves no matter what. In principle, it's another Fire/Fighting starter, if you get what I mean.

Does this even make sense? I can't tell.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't mind Pokemon being bipedal as long as they are unique. Delphox is my favorite starter because of how unique it is compared to the other fire starters. Litten could have easily been a bulky sabertooth tiger on four legs, but the fact that they made it looks like another Emboar makes it not unique. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Emboar.

When Litten's Japanese name was first leaked, I was so excited about my fire starter being a cat this time around. Then Litten was shown and I was not impressed. I mean, it looked okay, but they could have done something a lot cuter or something. Now it just reminds me of the children I teach, quiet, don't show emotion, and then suddenly like to play dirty. It's not cool.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I don't think he's gonna end up being Fire/Fighting, and I do hope not. Despite being all muscly and having cool arms, he doean't strike me hard enough with a 'fighting' vibe and all in all I think he shouldn't end up being a fighter, especially since we already have 3 of them. He should be Fire/Dark instead.

Unrelated but I think the water starter's final form looks awesome and it's not just my fav final form amongst the gen7 starters but my fav of all the individual species of the gen7 starters.

I really like both fire and grass lines this time round, not keen on water though.
    Take that back. Now.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • All three of the starters final evos seem to be the worst out of all the final starter evolutions. Litten3 and Popplio3 are both ugly and just too masculine and feminine... I don't like them, I don't want a wrestler and a mermaid, I was 1ooking forward to a quadrupedal tiger (which strangely we haven't got yet...) and a circus performer/clown/jester (which would have been more fitting for Popplio). Rowlet3 is just as ugly... Their final evos don't even resemble their second evos (and most starters final evos usually their second evos), their second evos looked so promising, except Brionne... Seeing all the fan-art of a bulky tiger, circus performer and a snobbish owl hurts me now. Seeing an archer, wrestler and mermaid put me off, maybe I'll get a few Everstones...

Years
  • I personally don't think the design is that bad, but I can understand why Litten's final evolution is copping the heavy disliking. To people who look at Pokemon from a design aspect, the idea used is not original for a starter, since Emboar was also themed around wrestling in a way.

However, there is that leak that mentions Fire/Dark as its possible typing (along with Water/Fairy for Popplio's) and with a bit of research it's a heel wrestler, which are known to use dirty tricks, a trait associated with the Dark-type.

I can get why Rowlet and Popplio's final evolutions are getting the good reception, because an archer and a siren/mermaid concept are new and original, even if the latter has been copping slack for being too "female" for a Pokemon with an 87.5% male ratio. It's still a fresh concept and I love it. Besides, there's always the option to dump the starter in the PC if you don't like it.

For me, Litten's heel wrestler theme doesn't bother me much but I can understand why it's going to make Litten the least chosen Alola starter. The final evolution is to them, what makes Litten a Tepig 2.0.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • For me, Litten's heel wrestler theme doesn't bother me much but I can understand why it's going to make Litten the least chosen Alola starter. The final evolution is to them, what makes Litten a Tepig 2.0.

Now that you say this, your 5th Gen connection theory gains even more credibility. I might warm up to Litten3 tho... Popplio3 should have a gender difference though. Male Popplio evolves into a Merman, while female Popplio evolves into a Mermaid...

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Now that you say this, your 5th Gen connection theory gains even more credibility. I might warm up to Litten3 tho... Popplio3 should have a gender difference though. Male Popplio evolves into a Merman, while female Popplio evolves into a Mermaid...
    Shouldn't male Popplio3 get a slightly different design from female Popplio3 then?

Years
  • Now that you say this, your 5th Gen connection theory gains even more credibility. I might warm up to Litten3 tho... Popplio3 should have a gender difference though. Male Popplio evolves into a Merman, while female Popplio evolves into a Mermaid...

Yeah, Unova connection theory for the win. I actually predicted Grass would be the most chosen starter for this generation, Fire the least chosen and Water being in the middle, just like the Unova starters when their final evolutions were revealed, and coincidentally both the Unova and Alola starters' final evolutions were leaked before even being revealed officially.

I first brought up the theory when I saw the first starter popularity polls, with Rowlet often leading, Litten in the middle and Popplio in last, which was also the case for Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott respectively when they were first revealed. Litten has pretty much ended up like Tepig in that they both have wrestler-themed final evolutions and the concern of being Fire/Fighting (which ended up being true for Tepig's evolutions) while Popplio turned out to have an awesome final evolution and win the crowd back, like what happened to Oshawott.

I do believe Litten's final evolution won't be Fire/Fighting since the three Fire/Fighting starters all gained the Fighting-type in the middle stage, which didn't happen in Torracat's case. Dark seems more fitting for Litten line's colour scheme and the heel wrestler basis.

Shouldn't male Popplio3 get a slightly different design from female Popplio3 then?

I know the male is the "default" gender difference of some Pokemon, but since we haven't had a starter with gender differences outside of Venusaur, Meganium and the Torchic line, I am doubting it. The Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and now likely Alola starters all had no gender differences.

Years
  • A heel wrestler would have to be Fire/Fighting. It's stll a wrestler.
    Stunfisk is a fish, but it's not a Water-type. Flygon is (partially) a dragonfly, but it is neither Bug- nor Flying-type. Pokemon don't have to take the most common or first associations that one might think they should.

Back