• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About Name Changing?

Years
    Airashii said:
    Everybody keeps saying that. People mention SPPf for comparison sake, it's not taboo to have something the same as them.
    My point was that what works there might not work here. :/ I guess it didn't show very much though.

I personally think we should be happy that they do name changes these days, considering the past policies with name changes. But that's just me. ^^;

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Even if it's just a comparison, PC is NOT SPPF. Why don't anyone go "Well on PE2K they do ..." or "BMG does this"? I am sick of the whole "Well SPPF does this". Well SPPF bans members that posts in threads that's over 30 days old, SPPF only lets 1 account per person, SPPF perm bans members if they break the sig rules 4 times. PC /=/ SPPF. Last I looked we don't have the same Staff, or all the same members, or the same ways. PC is not a cheap rip off of SPPF (Joe will be the first to tell you that, he'll say SPPF is better, that's where we disagree but we do agree on both forums is very different), PC is not an SPPF clone. If we were then everyone that back talks to the Staff on their actions (lockings, bans, sig edits etc) would get a warning.
    The point I'm pushing is, SPPF has their own ways of doing things, and we have ours. We do not change our ways just because another forum does things differently. I'm sure the SPPF Staff wouldn't like it if someone went "Well PC does things this way, you guys should change ... to like they have it over there".

And Sammi is right. Before May of 05 every single member on PC had to start a new account if they wanted a name change. You guys are lucky to have name changes. Sure it might take a few days to get the name changed, but at least you can have one every 6 months.
    A 6 month wait isn't long, the system is fine as is. And like I said, if you want a new name within the 6 month wait then get a new account (just like the old days). Think of the name you want before you pick it and post in the thread. It's right there in black and white on the first post (that everyone has to read if they want a name change). I know some people's mood changes more times in a week then posts they make in a day. But if you pick a name you like, you can hold out the 6 month limit.

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    I didn't say that, I said that everybody keeps saying 'PC is not SPPf' as if you aren't allowed to have similarities.

And PsiUmbreon and I had to push against people who couldn't see the simple point we were trying to make for about 60 posts before we got those name changes. I wouldn't consider that lucky.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Airashii said:
    I didn't say that, I said that everybody keeps saying 'PC is not SPPf' as if you aren't allowed to have similarities.

And PsiUmbreon and I had to push against people who couldn't see the simple point we were trying to make for about 60 posts before we got those name changes. I wouldn't consider that lucky.
    I was one of them people that didn't want name changes. It has always been "If you want a new name, start a new account". Up till May of 05 when it was voted to have name changes. Because I knew back then it'd be more work for the Staff, as well as no one would appreciate the name change, and no one would read the rules on the name change thread. How wrong was I? On one page I had to tell like 5-6 members "You don't get a name change because you didn't read the first post". And it happens ALLLLL the time, about every other page (maybe even every page) you'll have someone asking for a name that's done taken, or still under the 3 or 6 month limit. And this thread is an example of not appreciating the name changes. Some says we should lower the time limit, others say we should have a post/point system, and you say we should have a plugin for name changes. What is wrong with the system we got now? They post, we change, they wait 6 months for another name. It's simple and easy, less work for the members. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Draginis

Loveless
    Years
    Phantom_Bugsy said:
    That would kill me. D:

I still think we should just be allowed to change our own names. >__> Or if not, not make the waiting period between names be 6 months. D: I go through 'phases' of what I like, and I'd want my name to reflect that :< And I know quite a few people who are the same way.
    But if we could change our names freely, it would all get confusing.
    Because we wouldn't know which names were taken since people would be changing them all the time, and eventually people begin to take other member's names at 'joke' attempts. (I've seen it happen.)
    The system works fine as it is.

Kurono

Remember?
    Years
    Draginis said:
    But if we could change our names freely, it would all get confusing.
    Because we wouldn't know which names were taken since people would be changing them all the time, and eventually people begin to take other member's names at 'joke' attempts. (I've seen it happen.)
    The system works fine as it is.

Perhaps it is possible for members to change their own names with the supervision of staff.

But that would be too much work for staff, because they have enough to worry about already, adding to the pressure won't help..

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    I gave Jake the link to a hack that lets you change your name after ___ days, go ask him.

Back