• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen About Poison

Nilz

renegade of funk.
Years
  • I did think it made more sense but I don't miss it too much, it was always a pretty annoying feature I felt.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I don't care about it at all. Its actually better, its something that I've overjoyed knowing. I've always hated the "HAHAH YOU DIE IN A FEW STEPS! POISON IS EBIL! MUAHAHAHA" thing. I was relieved when I heard about this.

Years
  • Well, nostalgia dictates that I should miss it and the crunching sound of a pokemon dying with the screen blipping, but I don't know, like many of you I carry so many full heals that if I had not tested it one day to hear the sound, I probably never would have noticed.

Kikpanther

Not a beginner that's for sure
    Years
  • Yeah, when I first saw it didn't do anything it was kind of sad, but I wasn't complaining. Still, when my pokemon get poisoned I always find myself running to the Pokemon Center and when I realize nothing is happening I just... Slow down.

They really should have kept that. It completely defeats the purpose of the Viridian Forest without it. This game sorta-kinda has it. Really. Everytime I start a new Pokemon game I'm dreading the Viridian Forest-like area. This one just doesn't have it.

Also... I miss the screen spazz. :D

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I... never noticed. I only got poisoned once or twice and I healed both times. ._.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • Huh, it doesn't? Doesn't that sort of defeat the whole threat of poisoning? It always made sense, but I always have antidotes/full heals/full restores with me, so I never noticed it doesn't, if anyone in my party gets poisoned, I always healed them up...

Nope, it doesn't. I first noticed after the 5th Gym when I got poisoned and had no status healers with me. I had no Fly Slave either, so I had to hike back to the pokecenter. I took no damage along the way.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I never liked dying from poison outside of battle. But I don't like how they removed that game mechanic. That was the thing that made poison threatening. Now it isn't really anything, just a poor mans burn. I can't understand why they would of changed it. It was fine the way it was. I though it was better the way it was in the first three generations where eventually you died instead of being left with one health or not taking any damage what so ever.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm glad it's gone. Makes playing the game muuuch easier. Now my only worry once I get poisoned I need to avoid the grass since Pokemon appear so damn often.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I definitely appreciate that it's gone, especially for stuff like Nuzlocke runs. |D

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • At first, I guess I was supposed to feel some remorse about not being able to see that classic shake and hear that poison sound after my Pokemon got on the wrong side of a Whirlipede's Poison Point.

But strangely, I didn't miss it.

I guess it does lessen the challenge, but I felt that this time around there were a LOT more trainer battles and annoying encounter rates (as in, each wild Pokemon had at least one way of annoying you). So, since there were a heap more battles, I suppose it might have been neutralizing it all.

Albeit, there are those Doctors and Nurses that make the quest much easier...

Buggyo

I read the news today, oh boy.
    Years
  • I was also disappointed. Yes, it was annoying, but it was all part of the experience. :/

The_Noob

Banned
    Years
  • It feels weird without it. But... If GameFreak brings it back for the RSEmakes or third version, there will be BAAWing and butthurt for miles and miles.

Noob out.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I noticed this, and I was actually glad it was gone because it was extremely annoying, now I don't have to worry about poison damage outside of battle, but I still heal my Pokémon anyway.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • It sucks that they removed it. If anything they could have improved the mechanic and made the out of battle poison damage time based rather than step based.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Oh wow I never even noticed. Well, I am used to it but I honestly don't care. I mean I always just used an antidote right after the battle so it doesn't really affect me.

Back