• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About the old pokemon games

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok, so in my older age (I'm 41 years old now). I'm regretting letting all my old gameboy and pokemon games go over the years. Does anyone know of a place on the internet where i can start collecting these things again for good prices that isn't ebay? I'm looking to get old GBC, Advanced, DS stuff like that and then collect all the carts.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Older games and the hardware to play them on are going to be difficult to find at all, let alone in working condition and for a decent price (though certainly not impossible). Doesn't help that the 3DS+WiiU eShop shutdown sent a lot of games back into the void. You could try looking at Mercari or Amazon. If you're lucky maybe there's some sort of like vintage gaming store near you. Probably some other sort of places I'm forgetting.

If you're just looking to play the older Pokemon games again and the physical hardware is not a priority, at this point it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into emulators and piracy.

Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah, if you can locate a retro store, those are the best way to go. Can sell cool things for surprisingly cheap prices.

The problem is that they serve a niche. It's hard for them to compete with large cooperations such as GameStop. Our local retro shop went under.

Years
  • I feel that with retro-gaming becoming kind of a trend and seeing the card prices going high, I can totally see how difficult it can be to collect older items. I indeed bought a Gameboy Advance SP and some games, but at a good price. Its conditions are not perfect, but it's pretty good. I bought it on ebay. Honestly, my advice is to observe the market and wait for a good offer. I simply did that. It took me a lot. Also kinda compromise on things, of course. Otherwise it's always gonna be expensive. For example my gba sp shell is kinda broken but I could replace it, so it's not that much of a problem. Same for the screen. It wouldn't take much to replace it.
    Going to games, there are many fakes, so that's something to be aware of. I feel like from an online insertion it can also be pretty hard to see what's a fake and what isn't. I know that the difference is that, other than the possibility of getting scammed, is that fake cartridges can have cheaper components and therefore last less.
    I read somewhere that Japanese used cartridges can be cheaper, so I'd look into that (I plan on buying some pokemon games in Japanese), but be aware of import fees.

Back