• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Absurdly Rare Items

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
    So I've been replaying Platinum in efforts to raise every Gen 1-4 fully evolved Pokemon I can in preparation for Battle Revolution, and I got to the route where you can capture Chansey. I had forgotten they were this early in the game, so I figured "Lucky Egg is a must for this, Chansey's must be caught!"

...I so underestimated this...

Several Chanseys, Oval Stones, and even a shiny Chansey later... still no luck. @_@ Now I remember why I gave up after one the first time I played Platinum.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
    Honestly, I would've been happy with the shiny Chansey.
    I'm pleased to be sure, but considering Chansey is one of my least favorite shinies and considering I really, really need the Lucky Egg... it just wasn't what I was after. But the biggest point is that I got a shiny before a Lucky Egg. @_@

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    So I've been replaying Platinum in efforts to raise every Gen 1-4 fully evolved Pokemon I can in preparation for Battle Revolution, and I got to the route where you can capture Chansey. I had forgotten they were this early in the game, so I figured "Lucky Egg is a must for this, Chansey's must be caught!"

...I so underestimated this...

Several Chanseys, Oval Stones, and even a shiny Chansey later... still no luck. @_@ Now I remember why I gave up after one the first time I played Platinum.

Wow, that is really surprising @_@ The chances of a Chansey holding a Lucky Egg are 1/64, so they're not that rare (at least not as rare as a shiny). Sounds like just a run of bad RNG luck.

Are you catching all of them? Or are you using an item stealing move?

Last edited:
    Years
    Ouch that must have been some rotten luck for you, especially ironic given Chansey's Japanese name is Lucky.

If I was in a situation like what you've been going through, I'd recommend using an item-stealing move like Thief or Covet so you can get the Lucky Egg without having to catch the Chansey. Leading with a Pokemon that has the Frisk ability is also handy since it reveals the target's held item making it easier to identify if it has the Lucky Egg.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Fortunately, it didn't take me much time to find myself a Lucky Egg, but could definitely imagine it to be slightly tougher on some people. As suggested above, you should definitely try using Thief to make the search more easy.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
    Wow, that is really surprising @_@ The chances of a Chansey holding a Lucky Egg are 1/64, so they're not that rare (at least not as rare as a shiny). Sounds like just a run of bad RNG luck.

Are you catching all of them? Or are you using an item stealing move?
    I capture all of them, as I do not currently have access to an item stealing move.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Ouch that must have been some rotten luck for you, especially ironic given Chansey's Japanese name is Lucky.

If I was in a situation like what you've been going through, I'd recommend using an item-stealing move like Thief or Covet so you can get the Lucky Egg without having to catch the Chansey. Leading with a Pokemon that has the Frisk ability is also handy since it reveals the target's held item making it easier to identify if it has the Lucky Egg.

Or a Thief with the Compound Eyes Ability like Butterfree and Yanma.~
    In Pokémon Emerald and Generation IV, if a Pokémon with the Ability leads the party, even if it has fainted, the chance of finding a Pokémon in the wild holding an item increases by 50% of the original chance.
    Since Generation V, if a Pokémon with the Ability leads the party, even if it has fainted, the chance of finding a Pokémon in the wild holding an item increases from 50%/5%/1% to 60%/20%/5%.
    I've been using that nasty trick since Emerald. >:) *looks at my Moon Stones and Heart Scales*

Back