• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Abuse

zlip

______
Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    Ash: "Pikachu, use thunderbolt!"
    Misty: "Pikachu is getting really tired.."
    Brock: "Don't worry Ash probably has a plan."

This happens many times in the anime. Many times. And its wrong. Pokemon are clearly based on/have animal-like traits (i.e Parchurisu/Elongma =Squirrel, Omastar/nite=Shellfish)

So every time the use a move it drains them physically and even some moves hurt them! (Volt Tackel, Double-edge) So its kinda a like a jump-off-the-bridge senerio.

Pikachu: "Listen to Ash and be emo hurting myself perposfully with volt tackle or just refuse..?"

Obvusly if you were a pokemon would you listen to your trainer telling you to do an emo move? Or just stand there and take a blast from Lt. Surges richu?

NO of course you wouldn't! So then why do they? I see it like this and have two theries.

1) The pokeball. It binds you to your trainer and you can't get away or he'll just yell "_____ return!" and hit you on the head with a baseball sized peice of metal! So you might as well do what he says and get the star treatment even if it means literally draining yourself of energy.

2) Like a pet the pokemon loves you and will protect you. The pokemon "sees" the other trainers pokemon as a threat to its trainer and thus fights it, fearing if it does not, it will hurt the trainer. (I really don't think so though)

But then we come to the fights/contests/FORCED BREEDING!

Fights= dogfights. Whats the S(Enter reigon name here) league really for? Money and lots of it! Hundreds of people see it and what for? To see 2 poor creatures smacking te crud out of each other because a trainer says so.

Contest: Dog shows-eh not to bad, but would you like being dressed up and embaressed in front of hundreds of people?

BREEDING: This is just sick wrong and inhuman. Forcing to creatures to have a baby! That poor ditto in the center probably never even gets to see his baby again! UNLESS YOU MAKE IT HAVE A BABY WITH ITS CHILD HOW WRONG IS THAT? A skitty+Wailord THATS REALLY NOT RIGHT.

But pokempon should be loved and cared for and, like police dogs, used to help fight crime SCRUFF MCGRUFF FTW

Thats what i have to say about pokemon abuse.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Contest: Dog shows-eh not to bad, but would you like being dressed up and embaressed in front of hundreds of people?

Nailed it right on the head, dog shows are animal abuse. /sarcasm

BREEDING: This is just sick wrong and inhuman. Forcing to creatures to have a baby! That poor ditto in the center probably never even gets to see his baby again! UNLESS YOU MAKE IT HAVE A BABY WITH ITS CHILD HOW WRONG IS THAT? A skitty+Wailord THATS REALLY NOT RIGHT.

If you go by what actually happens in the game, you just happen to leave them together. No one's forcing the two Pokemon to make an egg, you leave them at the daycare and then you come back and they just happen to have one because of their constant proximity.

But pokempon should be loved and cared for and, like police dogs, used to help fight crime SCRUFF MCGRUFF FTW

Did you miss the part where the Pokemon are used to fight Team Rocket/Magma/Plasma/whatever? I think the Pokemon attacking the trainers is much worse than the Pokemon fighting the other Pokemon.

Also, it's a game. I highly doubt many people who play Pokemon dogfight, and if they do, it's not because of the bad example Pokemon set.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    There are many things in Pokemon that are simply not meant to be thought about. It's entertainment, and for that many people like to see fights — simple as.

they just happen to have one because of their constant proximity.
    So Pokemon breed via shedding spores?
    That would explain the bizarity of possible pairings, at least.

Last edited:

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • As much as I agree with Team Plasma and their Motives, I try and compare it to the Real Life PETA.

There is a difference between treating Animals like Slaves and developing a bond with them. It's an unspoken simple and instinctual thing. Now I'm not saying you can go and @#$% a Horse like in that disturbing Movie "Zoo", but I do think that it is highly possible to build a strong friendship with an Animal.

Now let's look specifically at Pokemon, not Animals. From what I can tell the Average Pokemon is about as Smart as a Dolphin or an Intelligent Primate. So they both have and don't have free will. See what the actual definition of what a TRAINER does is a mental process known as Conditioning. It appears that PokeBalls speed the conditioning project and simultaneously simplify it (hence 4 moves with a limited amount of uses). And once somebody has been fully conditioned they have no choice over the matter and in fact ENJOY being Conditioned. Pikachu doesn't care that he is hurting himself, he enjoys fighting hard and doing it for Ash. He is proud of what he does. As are all Caught Pokemon really.

And if you look back at the Real World, the same thing applies with Dolphins. They do what they do with Pride and they do it for Fun.

So no, it isn't abuse. BUT if you overuse your control over a Pokemon (E.G., try to make an highly Injured Pokemon Fight) then it IS Abuse.

Years
  • Your replies disgust me, but I'll reply to this thread anyway.

But, zlip, you're forgetting that most Pokemon (in the anime at least) choose to do those kinds of things. In fact, I think in most of the games Pokemon follow you willingly since you "defeated" them. In fact, they probably see you as a Boss, or partner if you get close enough. It's more along the lines of Master-Servant relationship, but the willingly type.

That's the main problem I see with you, if a Gyarados wanted to blow you off the face of the Earth, what's stopping it? Pokemon are obviously smarter than humans, such as Alakazam. There's nothing stopping them from killing you.

It's a matter of respect, really. They respect you, and probably see you as an equal or someone strong, and they want to grow and become stronger with you.

That's why I hate threads like these, use common sense.

Last edited:

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Your replies disgust me, but I'll reply to this thread anyway.

But, zlip, you're forgetting that most Pokemon (in the anime at least) choose to do those kinds of things. In fact, I think in most of the games Pokemon follow you willingly since you "defeated" them. In fact, they probably see you as a Boss, or partner if you get close enough. It's more along the lines of Master-Servant relationship, but the willingly type.

That's the main problem I see with you, if a Gyarados wanted to blow you off the face of the Earth, what's stopping it? Also, Pokemon are obviously smarter than humans, like Alakazam. There's nothing stopping them from killing you.

It's a matter of respect, really. They respect you, and probably see you as an equal or someone strong, and they want to grow and become stronger with you.

That's why I hate threads like these, use common sense.

This is one of the best Posts on the Pokecommunity Forums. Bravo.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    There are many things in Pokemon that are simply not meant to be thought about. It's entertainment, and for that many people like to see fights — simple as.

So Pokemon breed via shedding spores?
    That would explain the bizarity of possible pairings, at least.

I'm not saying they don't lay some pipe while they're there, but no one's forcing them to is my point.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Join Team Plasma then...

Jokes aside, like everyone else has already mentioned - you should really even play the games or watch the anime if you feel that way.

To be honest, it would be funny to see a;
    No Pokémon were hurt in the making of this game
    on the cover of every Pokémon game. xD

Honestly, it's just a game, and like the quote says - no one actually gets hurt. If anything, I doubt the pokémon do really get hurt that much, they only really ever "faint."

I bet Pokémon would just be a very boring game without these mechanics anyway...

MAizHxC

HG FC: 3395 8610 0902
    Years
  • Ash: "Pikachu, use thunderbolt!"
    Misty: "Pikachu is getting really tired.."
    Brock: "Don't worry Ash probably has a plan."

This happens many times in the anime. Many times. And its wrong. Pokemon are clearly based on/have animal-like traits (i.e Parchurisu/Elongma =Squirrel, Omastar/nite=Shellfish)

So every time the use a move it drains them physically and even some moves hurt them! (Volt Tackel, Double-edge) So its kinda a like a jump-off-the-bridge senerio.

Pikachu: "Listen to Ash and be emo hurting myself perposfully with volt tackle or just refuse..?"

Obvusly if you were a pokemon would you listen to your trainer telling you to do an emo move? Or just stand there and take a blast from Lt. Surges richu?

NO of course you wouldn't! So then why do they? I see it like this and have two theries.

1) The pokeball. It binds you to your trainer and you can't get away or he'll just yell "_____ return!" and hit you on the head with a baseball sized peice of metal! So you might as well do what he says and get the star treatment even if it means literally draining yourself of energy.

2) Like a pet the pokemon loves you and will protect you. The pokemon "sees" the other trainers pokemon as a threat to its trainer and thus fights it, fearing if it does not, it will hurt the trainer. (I really don't think so though)

But then we come to the fights/contests/FORCED BREEDING!

Fights= dogfights. Whats the S(Enter reigon name here) league really for? Money and lots of it! Hundreds of people see it and what for? To see 2 poor creatures smacking te crud out of each other because a trainer says so.

Thats what i have to say about pokemon abuse.

You lost me there (bolded). Its a made up concept. Its not like its real life.
    I think your argument is stupid/illogical because its an imaginary concept.

You wasted your time formulating this argument.

PS. Cool story bro.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2011
    Bah, I don't get why people are being so uppity puppity about this. I really don't, it's just opinions, guys! :)

But honestly, I'd probably cry if I saw Munna being mistreated. It was hard enough seeing Musharna going through what it did, but they had a warming reunion in the end. ^_^

I am a newcomer to Pokemon and I've only seen Best Wishes and so far from what I can tell no Pokemon abuse there. There've been more times Pikachu has thrashed Ash though!

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    I know its not real

Im saying it encourages animal abouse and other things

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2011
    I really don't think it encourages child abuse, I can't think of many kids who would watch Pokemon and pretend their pet is a Pokemon? O_o If they did, the parents should be wise enough to inform their kid that isn't the case!

I'm a sap when it comes to cute things getting hurt, even in fictional cartoons, but that's just me. :P But honestly, there are many worse things kids could be watching than Pokemon!

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • It's stated in Black and White that the Pokéball does nothing to change a Pokemon's thought process, and that when a Pokémon stays with the person who caught it rather then run off the moment it is sent out, it does so out of respect.

Of course, one would think that if a stronger Pokémon didn't like the way it was treated, it would simply destroy its trainer and be off its merry way.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    It's stated in Black and White that the Pokéball does nothing to change a Pokemon's thought process, and that when a Pokémon stays with the person who caught it rather then run off the moment it is sent out, it does so out of respect.

Of course, one would think that if a stronger Pokémon didn't like the way it was treated, it would simply destroy its trainer and be off its merry way.
    Spot-on Niprop. Spot-on.

This applies to ALL legendaries as well. They stay because they respect you. If they didn't, then you're pretty much dead meat.

Years
  • Like I said, Pokemon are more intelligent than humans. In that world, they probably taught them respect.

So, Pokemon are not actually abused. Remember Charmander? Remember why it didn't hurt it's trainer? It respected Damian. Even though he was a douche, Charmander respected him because he either defeated it or trained it at some time.

Same applies to Pikachu, Ash had to earn Pikachu's respect. The anime depicts something like this beautifully.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I know its not real

Im saying it encourages animal abouse and other things
    If you can us any sort of proof that it has done so I see no need for this arguement. I'm pretty sure if it did, something would have happened by now - and I haven't seen or read about anything...

Back