• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Accents

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I know, it annoys me when people think the only British accent is a poshy London one, but I just say British because it's tiring to explain :P I have a Manchester accent, so not the typical American idea of a British accent at all unfortunately :)

What's wrong with just saying you have an English accent? :)

I guess personally an Irish accent would be pretty cool, but I'm fine with my own one ^_^

DMoCTTA

YouTuber DMoCTTA
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    *Sigh*

I understand what you're all trying to say but there's no such thing as a British accent. Time and time again I see people referring to British accents and it just gets my goat.

Britain (or the UK) comprises of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. So right away those are 4 very different accents. Presumably when you say 'British', you're referring to an 'English' accent. But even then, there are SO many different accents in England alone. You've got Scouse, Yorkshire, West Country, Cockney, Geordie etc. What you'll all be thinking of is what's known as 'The Queen's English' - which is usually the stereotypical go-to accent for someone in a film or TV show if they are from England.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but when you talk about a 'British' accent and a 'Scottish' one (for example) in the same sentence then you're really not making sense.

It's the same thing when people said they like my American accent when I was overseas. There's no such thing as an American accent, but rather a midwest/southern/etc accent. Same ship but we refer to it what it's referred to in social media, aye?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    As a method to getting himself ready for medical school in the UK, my friend has been practicing his British accent. It's not working out very well at this point XD
    When he moves there, he'll start picking up on the habits of other people and unintentionally copying them. At least that's what the people who I know who travel a lot go through when they're somewhere long enough. You know what I mean?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I have a pretty generic North American accent, but I can imitate several accents fairly well, including: German, British, and an okayish Southern accent.

Years
    When he moves there, he'll start picking up on the habits of other people and unintentionally copying them. At least that's what the people who I know who travel a lot go through when they're somewhere long enough. You know what I mean?

Well then I guess I'll just have to snatch him up before he goes, and after he comes back regardless of whether he's a year younger than myself (; Seriously though, I think I have some sort of fetish regarding British accents or something...It's unhealthy.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    I really wish I had a proper Welsh accent, I just have a very general plain British accent, would have been fun to have a nice strong Welsh accent and I could say stuff like "Diolch" and "Hwyl Fawr" without sounding like a idiot :P

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    I love the timbre of Scottish and Caribbean accents, but British ones? Meh, some times.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    As a method to getting himself ready for medical school in the UK, my friend has been practicing his British accent. It's not working out very well at this point XD

He's gotta be super pale to fit in there too, like a sheet!

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    According to people i've been talking English too, i have a "kawaii" accent, somewhere between american and israeli accents. I've been told it sounds nice.

I know french, but dont have an accent, which sucks...
    I wish i had a british accent, they sound so good!

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I have a normal "American" accent, despite not coming from there. I know Dutch, and I can't describe my accent when I speak it - I guess a sharper form of my normal accent? Tagalog is my native language, and I speak it like how I speak English, only with a harder r. (no regrets) I speak a little French, and I guess I can pull the accent quite well, although I struggle with some words. I'm satisfied with my accent as it is.

Years
    Been told I have a slightly off normal American accent, most likely because Korean is my first language. Bit ironically now I consider myself better at English than at Korean.

One accent I would like to have is from the unknown land where Tommy Wiseau hails from. It sounds hilarious.

Years
    I mean, after all the tumblr posts about how much they love guys with accents, it was hard not to succumb to the desire, hahaha. Jokes aside, it would be unbelievably cool to have a British or Italian accent, even if it was just for a day. I think I'd lose my voice from talking so much if that were the case o:

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    I have a Minnesotan accent.

Most people think it's general American, but I really do have the Minnesotan one. It's a bit subtle, but people from other countries seem to notice it right away; most say it's 'so cute'.

Sigh, watch the movie or series "Fargo". That's my accent, though mine isn't as strong.

And no, I do not say "You betcha" or "Dontcha know".

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I can do a really offensive Indian accent because of all the time I've spent on tech support lines over the years. I can do a pretty convincing British accent because I had a few Brits for friends at college. I'm from Indiana, but I can do southern and Appalachian accents (yes, Appalachians are a whole different breed of redneck) extremely well.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I can't say that I would like an accent, considering I can do so many. If I had to choose (I can't do these ones) it would be a French or a German accent. My accent is mixed Scottish and English.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I'd love to have an Irish or Scandinavian accent. I'm Norwegian and Irish, but I can do both accents pretty convincingly already. At my former job, I would record our phone greeting every month in a different accent. I also had to call other branches of the store to make sure they were answering the phones correctly and I would try my accents on the employees at those stores! :D

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
    I've had people come up to me and say that I sound like an American (California style), but I've never been there before, and I am certainly not trying to imitate them on purpose.

Of course, who wouldn't want a British accent? For those who know, I'd prefer a Northern one, like Burnley.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
    I have a thick Australian accent. Think of your generic bogan speaking (that's Australian for something like 'redneck') and you've got how I sound.

I can imitate Lebanese / Greek Australian accents, but that's as far as my talents stretch.

Back