• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Achievement

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Games these day have Achievement for certain completed task in-game, so obsessive player have more reason to play the game. Pokemon with its open gameplay have many numerous task that can be awarded with achievement. Excellent example this is catching Feebas from its present route or Catching all present legendaries. What do you think? should gamefreak create achievement so all of us have more reason to play the game even longer?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Yes, but what would the achievement do? They already have stars/colours of trainer cards and stickers and ribbons for different things (beating the E4 many times, catching Pokemon, beating contests). Random stuff like what you've said...doesn't really make sense, y'know? Pokemon isn't an internet game where achievements can mean something.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • If it is, it needs to be grounded inside the game somehow.

For example, you could carry around a "Medal Case", and when you do a certain achievement a medal is added to the case.

Similar in a sense to Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Yes, but what would the achievement do? They already have stars/colours of trainer cards and stickers and ribbons for different things (beating the E4 many times, catching Pokemon, beating contests). Random stuff like what you've said...doesn't really make sense, y'know? Pokemon isn't an internet game where achievements can mean something.

Achievement in many games also does nothing, and many of them are achieved after hard-random task that doesn't really make any sense. Is it really important to have combo of 666 strikes? blowing up all not-so eye catching pigeon? But what make its worth is how hard you achieve it, and when you get a reward for it is really can make you feel satisfied. Achievement is your own insignia of pride. What achievement at least is setting up a goal. Catching feebas is hard, you know that, and a nice achievement will be a good reward for those people that catching feebas honestly.

If it is, it needs to be grounded inside the game somehow.

For example, you could carry around a "Medal Case", and when you do a certain achievement a medal is added to the case.

Similar in a sense to Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Nice point, because i can hardly think where the achievement will go for later viewing

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Nah, it's not a 360 game and Pokémon isn't menu-based like Brawl is so I don't think an achievement system would work. (Besides, they already have a very rudimentary one in the form of trainer cards--it tracks your gym badges and also updates in colours/stars/whatever for other accomplishments.)

I generally love achievements because they give me goals past beating the game but I don't think they'd work in this series.

Years
  • Achievements are great on Xbox360 - I have 53/54 in Assassin's Creed II.

But no, they won't add them in, shouldn't add them in, and if they do, I refuse to get the achievements unless you unlock something cool like the team of a PokeSpec character of your choice (obviously I'd pick Red, he has a spare Espeon).

They just wouldn't work in pokemon. It has it's own achievements, and some are incredibly hard, e.g.

-Catching a Feebas
    -Winning all Master Rank Contests (one is hard enough, in Hoenn they got progressively harder, in Sinnoh you had 3 easy followed by an almost impossible one!).
    -Breeding a pokemon with brilliant IVs! It took me over a week to get one with a spread of 31/30/29/28/29/31.
    -RNG abuse. They do make them abusable for a reason! (Or at least I think they do).

Part of pokemon is discovering the achievements for yourself, i.e. Who's going to just happen to think "I'll visit Mr. Pokemon, I bet he has something neat" and get a Red/Blue Orb, capture the respective legendary, then think "I bet if I get both, Prof. Oak will give me an orb to catch Rayquaza!".

Honestly, I was so proud when I discovered Regirock/ice/steel in Emerald. And Suicune/Entei/Raikou in LeafGreen.

Elise

ニャーニャー
    Years
  • I like achievements a lot in games, but I feel like pokémon already has them though not "officially." Like, you've caught a feebas and successfully evolved it into Milotic. Or you bred a certain pokie with the right nature and egg moves. Then I like to go brag to all my friends! Heck yes! :P Achievement!!!

But it could be fun, you never know ^_^

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    we should get something else for getting all pokemon instead of a diploma...lol

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Achievement Unlocked: Chose a starter Pokemon
    Achievement Unlocked: Obtained the first badge
    Achievement Unlocked: Traversed the first cave

I don't think so. Even if they were one of the rare games that did it right, there's enough to keep you going without having to try for achievements. And anyway, you can play so many different ways that no good achievements could not be complained about: "No, online isn't fun with all the super serious people", Ew no how on earth am I supposed to complete a Pokedex", "Contests? Are you kidding me?"

shot571

I like that idea. Just for the pride part. Theres only one thing that i find bad about this idea. AR. As long as they make it somehow that people can't cheat I dont see any reason not too.

Back