• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add/Remove types ??

Would you add or remove a type, or neither ?

• Total voters

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    If you could add or remove one type, what would it be. Or would you not change anything at all ?? Personally, i would remove the normal type, its just pointless !!!!!! I mean why does there have to be a normal type. Other types have elemental and extraordinary powers, and the fighting type has extra strength, but the normal type has nothing, and its just disturbing to know there are pokemon who are just plain nothing !!! Even gamefreak knows this, they added hyper beam and giga impact to spice up this type a little for the fans, and it still sucks !! How about you ?

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    I really don't think they should add any types now that its decently balanced, and removing existing types is just pointless

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Why remove Normal types? Can you honestly think of any other type the Normal Pokemon could be? Maybe a few could easily change type, but most can't. So I think that the Normal type should stay. And I wouldn't remove any. That'd be ridiculous. I think they all serve a purpose.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Normal types were almost useless until Black/White came out. Gamefreak got a clue and used Normal's immunity to ghost types to their advantage. Due to Black & White's abnormally large amount of ghost types in the pokedex, pokemon like Deerling and Sawsbuck, which are Normal/Grass are immune to all ghost moves. That's very handy in some cases, and a Sawsbuck would absolutely destroy a Golurk, for example.

In previous generations, though, only normal/flying pokemon like the Pidgey line and the Taillow line would benefit from the ghost immunity. I hope Gamefreak uses the normal type to their advantage much more in future generations.

Echidna

Years
    Well the reason i want to remove the normal type is because the first post states
    PEDRO12 said:
    If you could add or remove one type.....
    So the question is personal, and i personally find no interest in the normal type whatsoever. So guys, re-answer the question from your personal point of view.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    So the question is personal, and i personally find no interest in the normal type whatsoever. So guys, re-answer the question from your personal point of view.

We did answer from our personal point of view, just worded it differently than you or anyone else might have. It's not your job to dictate that we're answering incorrectly. I'll be the judge of that. But I just wanted to say that neither me or Penatrait were in the wrong with our posts and that we don't need to "re-answer" anything. We answered the first time.

Carry on~

Echidna

Years
    Uhh, ok ?? Obviously you guys were offended by something i said, sorry :( . I didn't say you answered wrong, i said you might have answered with a general view not specifically what you like and dislike, sorry again. Alright, carry on.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    I personally think normal is a very Unique type. It my not have any offensive spice, but normal Pokemon generally have rather Unique support options and HP stats, that allow them to have a simple, but refreshing flavor, with no other type has.

How do you like my Cilan-style? :P

Echidna

Years
    hahaha, nice style, hahaha, yeah but i always thought of it this way, they generally don't look too good, their stats aren't too good, they do not effect one type (the ghost type), and its attacks aren't super effective against any types, and are not very effective againbst the rock and steel types, and has a disadvantage against the fighting type. I mean if they even had a good appeal, i would reconsider, but i don't think Ken Sigumuri was having a good day when he drew them.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Dark and Steel were originally added to counter Psychic types. So I don't see a reason to add or remove types.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    You can't forget Normal type pokemon's generally high BSTs too. Most are bulky as heck, most offer utility whereas other types dont. and they have few type relationships which means theyre quite consistently useful.

however I would merge Ground and Rock if I had created the original games
    also poison needs a few more upsides as it's generally quite useless and the pokemon are generally uninteresting and pointless unless they have a secondary type such as bug etc.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    hahaha, nice style, hahaha, yeah but i always thought of it this way, they generally don't look too good, their stats aren't too good, they do not effect one type (the ghost type), and its attacks aren't super effective against any types, and are not very effective againbst the rock and steel types, and has a disadvantage against the fighting type.
    In response to a few things:
    - 'they generally don't look good' is I suppose a matter of opinion - but I do like a number of them myself, and many other fans have some normal types as their favourite Pokemon.

- 'their stats aren't too good' however is where I have some qualms - it seems you are forgetting about the likes of Snorlax (who was a beast in the older games as well and still used), the Porgon line gets pretty decent usage as well, Slaking has one of the highest attack stats (ignoring its admittedly terribad ability it can still hit very hard in a hit-and-run style), Togekiss has a lot of special attack and special defence and Blissey's huge HP stat puts it at the top in that regard... and comparing to the other Pokemon they slot in the top 100 with a number having upwards of 530 Base Stat total. They even rate higher than the starter Pokemon in terms of stats and the majority of Pokemon beating them are Legendaries (and let's not forget the one of the top (Arceus) is a normal type himself). Like every other typing in general, there's those with bad stats, but also those with good ones.

I'd argue that the fact they don't have any advantages over anything with STAB moves (a lot have a rather varied movepool let's not forget) is potentially purposeful and the 'point' given the are the 'Normal' type as well, but that's my take on it. =p

As for the thread topic... no, I wouldn't change any types nor add another. The system works more or less now since the changes in 2nd gen (which were only done to fix the hug imbalance in gen 1!) and after so many years of Pokemon canon, to decide that these Pokemon are now ____ typing instead of what they were established as seems rather silly and pointless to me - and changing how the typing system works could arguably make it worse. (Then there's the changes to how Hidden Power works which runs off the IV system...all in all you've got a potential mess waiting to happen by removing or adding a type).

marcc5m

what
    Years
    So what type would you make Blissey, Jigglypuff, Kecleon, Arceus etc.?
    Also, the Pokemon in your avvie is normal. That's the second avatar you've had that contradicts what you say.

Every type is different and unique. It's too far in to remove any, or add more.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I would actually love to see a new Type added in, just to give the guys some extra fresh ideas for new Pokemon in the coming Generations. That said, I have no idea what the new type could be, and I have given it a lot of thought.

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
    Years
    Normal-Types don't necessarily have to be "boring". The only computerized Pokemon is a Normal-Type, a weird, fat pink chameleon with a massive tongue is a Normal-Type, and, you know, the GOD of Pokemon is a Normal-Type... It's also very versatile, and certainly practical. That's why it's so abundant.

Rant over, now on to the subject of the thread... I would not add or remove any Types. There's really no reason to do either, at least not that I can think of. There is already a Type for everything, and everyone would flip out if Game Freak upset the balance.

Echidna

Years
    You can't forget Normal type pokemon's generally high BSTs too. Most are bulky as heck, most offer utility whereas other types dont. and they have few type relationships which means theyre quite consistently useful.

however I would merge Ground and Rock if I had created the original games
    also poison needs a few more upsides as it's generally quite useless and the pokemon are generally uninteresting and pointless unless they have a secondary type such as bug etc.

yeah merging those two types seems like a good idea, they are quite similar, but there are a few points to take into consideration, for example, if we merged both types, would they be super effective or not effect the fying type at all. The flying type having somewhat an advantage against the ground type is a good thing, and the same goes for the rock type's advantage against the flying type.

In response to a few things:
    - 'they generally don't look good' is I suppose a matter of opinion - but I do like a number of them myself, and many other fans have some normal types as their favourite Pokemon.

- 'their stats aren't too good' however is where I have some qualms - it seems you are forgetting about the likes of Snorlax (who was a beast in the older games as well and still used), the Porgon line gets pretty decent usage as well, Slaking has one of the highest attack stats (ignoring its admittedly terribad ability it can still hit very hard in a hit-and-run style), Togekiss has a lot of special attack and special defence and Blissey's huge HP stat puts it at the top in that regard... and comparing to the other Pokemon they slot in the top 100 with a number having upwards of 530 Base Stat total. They even rate higher than the starter Pokemon in terms of stats and the majority of Pokemon beating them are Legendaries (and let's not forget the one of the top (Arceus) is a normal type himself). Like every other typing in general, there's those with bad stats, but also those with good ones.

I'd argue that the fact they don't have any advantages over anything with STAB moves (a lot have a rather varied movepool let's not forget) is potentially purposeful and the 'point' given the are the 'Normal' type as well, but that's my take on it. =p

As for the thread topic... no, I wouldn't change any types nor add another. The system works more or less now since the changes in 2nd gen (which were only done to fix the hug imbalance in gen 1!) and after so many years of Pokemon canon, to decide that these Pokemon are now ____ typing instead of what they were established as seems rather silly and pointless to me - and changing how the typing system works could arguably make it worse. (Then there's the changes to how Hidden Power works which runs off the IV system...all in all you've got a potential mess waiting to happen by removing or adding a type).

Hmm, you have a pretty good point !! But as for arceus, his 'plate change type' design makes him unique normal type :). And as for not liking the way they look, well, i don't hate the way they look, but their design isn't all too interesting. But then again, that's my point of view. I personally like lickylicky as my second fav pokemon. But the majority of them not really fitting into my standards has lead to this opinion.

I would actually love to see a new Type added in, just to give the guys some extra fresh ideas for new Pokemon in the coming Generations. That said, I have no idea what the new type could be, and I have given it a lot of thought.

Hmm, i would add a special type for pokemon like doexys and lucario, space or aura type, although they are kinda acceptable by themselves.

Normal-Types don't necessarily have to be "boring". The only computerized Pokemon is a Normal-Type, a weird, fat pink chameleon with a massive tongue is a Normal-Type, and, you know, the GOD of Pokemon is a Normal-Type... It's also very versatile, and certainly practical. That's why it's so abundant.

Rant over, now on to the subject of the thread... I would not add or remove any Types. There's really no reason to do either, at least not that I can think of. There is already a Type for everything, and everyone would flip out if Game Freak upset the balance.

The GOD Pokemon rules !! That my friend is true, but he can change to ALL types, that kinda gives him an advantage on other normal types.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Please no Light type, I think the types are fine the way they are.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    Not all normal types are useless. Youve got your blissy which is a beast.

theres some that I like:

Zangoose,miltank, clefable, girafarig, snorelax, porygon z, linoone, spinda, swellow, staraptor, lickilicky and togekiss.

Pika-power

Jesus of Suburbia
    Years

I know! I'd love a new type, but I have no clue as to what it could be.

Echidna

Years
    i guess a new type would be interesting, as long as it isn't something stupid. We might have said the same thing if we were discussing this before GSC ! And look how they surprised us !!

Back