• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding an ability to make all moves multi-hit

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    Hey guys :)

Over the course of the last few hours, I've been frantically trying to add a few new abilities to the game. Among them is Multi-Strike, an ability that has every move the user uses occur twice in a row. To implement it into the game, I wrote (in PokeBattle -- Move):

def pbIsMultiHit # not the same as pbNumHits>1
    if isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:MULTISTRIKE)
    return true
    end
    return false
    end

def pbNumHits
    if isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:MULTISTRIKE)
    return 2
    end
    return 1
    end

My problem is that the game begins to glitch out as soon as a Pokemon with Multi-Strike attacks: moves immediately stop having effects (as in, the message that they are being used is shown, but nothing else happens).

Can some of you script-jockeys untangle this and tell me how to implement this the right way? :)

Last edited:
    Years
    I had some spare time so I had a look into this. Unfortunately, the code that you provided won't work because attacker is not a variable that exists in those functions (it's neither a class/instance variable nor is it passed as a function parameter). As such it's trying to access the ability of an empty variable and hence the lack of any effect.

What I would recommend is reverting the changes you made to pbIsMultiHit and pbNumHits (so that calls to them won't break) and in PokeBattle_Battler, replace line 2257 with:

Code:
    [FONT="Monospace"]if (thismove.flags&0x04)==0 && isConst?(user.ability,PBAbilities,:MULTISTRIKE) && thismove.pbNumHits < 2 # flag c: magic coat
      numhits=2
    else
      numhits=thismove.pbNumHits
    end[/FONT]

In addition, you'll want to append
    Code:
    [FONT="Monospace"]|| (thismove.flags&0x04)==0 && isConst?(user.ability,PBAbilities,:MULTISTRIKE) # flag c: magic coat[/FONT]
    to line 2265.

I've made some assumptions in the implementation of this, so I'll mention them here so you know what they are (and what to remove if they're not the correct assumptions). Firstly, I've assumed that status moves shouldn't be repeated hence the if (thismove.flags&0x04)==0 check. Secondly, I've assumed that moves which are naturally multi-hit moves aren't affected by this ability and so they keep their usual amount of hits.

EDIT: One slight issue with doing it this way is that it may not display the message you want it to display when the attacks hit twice (at the moment it uses the stock standard message used for moves like Pin Missile and Double Kick). It shouldn't be difficult to track down where this message is created and modify it to suit your purposes though. Hopefully this all helps.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    I had some spare time so I had a look into this. Unfortunately, the code that you provided won't work because attacker is not a variable that exists in those functions (it's neither a class/instance variable nor is it passed as a function parameter). As such it's trying to access the ability of an empty variable and hence the lack of any effect.

What I would recommend is reverting the changes you made to pbIsMultiHit and pbNumHits (so that calls to them won't break) and in PokeBattle_Battler, replace line 2257 with:

Code:
    [FONT=Monospace]if (thismove.flags&0x04)==0 && isConst?(user.ability,PBAbilities,:MULTISTRIKE) && thismove.pbNumHits < 2 # flag c: magic coat
      numhits=2
    else
      numhits=thismove.pbNumHits
    end[/FONT]
    In addition, you'll want to append
    Code:
    [FONT=Monospace]|| (thismove.flags&0x04)==0 && isConst?(user.ability,PBAbilities,:MULTISTRIKE) # flag c: magic coat[/FONT]
    to line 2265.

I've made some assumptions in the implementation of this, so I'll mention them here so you know what they are (and what to remove if they're not the correct assumptions). Firstly, I've assumed that status moves shouldn't be repeated hence the if (thismove.flags&0x04)==0 check. Secondly, I've assumed that moves which are naturally multi-hit moves aren't affected by this ability and so they keep their usual amount of hits.

EDIT: One slight issue with doing it this way is that it may not display the message you want it to display when the attacks hit twice (at the moment it uses the stock standard message used for moves like Pin Missile and Double Kick). It shouldn't be difficult to track down where this message is created and modify it to suit your purposes though. Hopefully this all helps.

Such a quick and helpful reply :)

thank you thank you thank you a hundred gajillion times *joy*

Now I shall proceed to make Gengar even more broken than it already is *muhahahaha*

Back