• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Adopt-a-newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    This idea just came to me when I was thinking about some new person who I helped a few times a while back. Would it be a good idea to invoke some sort of thing for the New Users/Welcomes regulars if there was a place where people could "adopt" a new person? I mean like, show them around the place, be the go-to person for them with questions and stuff etc.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I thought about something similar a while ago, and it seems like a cool idea. I'm not sure how such a thing would be implemented though.

Years
    I thought about something similar a while ago, and it seems like a cool idea. I'm not sure how such a thing would be implemented though.

I swear I remember this coming up a while ago...

Anyway, I am not sure how it would work as an 'PC official' thing, but I think it would work better if it was left to those 'experienced' users who are active and willing enough for them to make it work.​

Years
    I like the idea!
    I'm new and a couple members have jsut been chatitng away on VM and it certainly makes me feel welcome so I'm sure it would be the same for others

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Sounds like a good idea, but instead of a person being restricted to being shown around by one other, I think it would be best to just keep at what it's like now. As Fabio said, if you're willing to help them around the boards, it's totally fine, but as for this becoming a PC official thing I don't see it happening. The new person can easily be shown around by simply anybody, and if they had any questions, they can ask just about anyone who's mainly been here for a while or as said, willing to help out. I'd say if you want to help the person around, you can always post in their welcome thread (that is, if they make one) stating if they ever had any questions or needed any help getting around they would be welcome to ask yourself. Otherwise, I really don't see too much of a need for this.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I wouldn't say keep it a restricted thing, but maybe a thread in the New Users/Welcomes of people who love to help those new people out, and are friendly and willing to help out. Maybe it could be like a directory for new people for those who want to and wish to help new people out. People could mention what they mostly do here, whether it be trading, or discussing the anime, or something else, and the newbies can seek out someone who is willing to help them out, and has similar interests or something.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    That seems stupid to me. I'm just thinking about if I was a new member and I was all of a sudden assigned some "veteran" member to me to show me around. It's a sweet thought I guess, but the name especially, "adopt-a-newb," it's just so degrading. It'd make me think "okay so you join this website and they treat you like an idiot, having to show you around." We don't need a buddy-buddy feature on PC. New members simply have to read the forum titles to see where's what. And then they venture themselves into new forums.

PC isn't some complicated labyrinth that new members need guiding through.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Penatrait said:
    That seems stupid to me. I'm just thinking about if I was a new member and I was all of a sudden assigned some "veteran" member to me to show me around. It's a sweet thought I guess, but the name especially, "adopt-a-newb," it's just so degrading. It'd make me think "okay so you join this website and they treat you like an idiot, having to show you around." We don't need a buddy-buddy feature on PC. New members simply have to read the forum titles to see where's what. And then they venture themselves into new forums.

PC isn't some complicated labyrinth that new members need guiding through.

Took the words from my mou-- fingertips. But yeah, I just don't like the idea. Don't we have enough people to go to for help? People post in the "Where do I post this?" thread, people ask questions in CQ&F, and there's almost always a staff member online if anyone needs help. And when I was a member, I would usually ask someone who seemed to know their stuff in whatever forums I was active in, even though they weren't mods. And like Marz said, PC isn't some huge maze or anything. Not that hard to figure out.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I swear I remember someone brought this up a while ago.

I think it's an amazing idea. I love helping the new members of PC. But at the same time I don't think it is a good idea. Regular members (like me) can answer a few questions PC-wise, but for other things, the new member should ask moderators/staff members for board-specific questions. I've helped a few before, but being a "mentor" to a new member sounds pretty neat. I guess I'm in for it. :)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    This was already approved by higher staff back in July. Though, I guess that's been a really long time and there might need to be an approval process going again... oh well, whatever!

As long as Hiidoran is okay with it, I'm okay with it. I wager he'll be replying to this thread eventually.

From the thread in HQ, there's an agreement that there would need to be plenty of volunteers, that the program (so to speak) will have minimum staff management. Once someone volunteers to "adopt" a new member and show them the ropes, it's in their hands. Unless the new member goes up and requests someone new, which I would assume there would be guidelines for...

Though, I have to say, Penatrait and Sydian have a lot of really good points that make me question why this is needed, exactly. Members could just be more proactive and engaging when they see a new member, instead of limiting it to a welcome in their thread, why not welcome them and introduce yourself (in whatever way you'd like) in a visitor message and engage with them in more social aspects of the forum, rather than the somewhat limited thread. Then again, most new members aren't very interested and detailed when they create threads, so it's hard to really gravitate towards them. The majority of them just say that they're looking for something and obviously put little effort into describing themselves apart from that.

But the ball's in Hiidoran's court now, I'd say.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Just gonna put my two cents here since they actually DID have this at another forum I was at a few years back. It was a huge forum with a lot more sections/members so I understood why they'd do it and I agreed to ~show a new person around~. They didn't have too many questions but I think what the new people like about it is having someone who becomes a fast friend. You're the first person they pm, you get to know them, and it makes getting to know other people a little more easy.

Plus, it's nice to have that go-to person in case of any question you feel is too stupid to post or you didn't skim the rules all the way so you're not sure about something. I'm still actually in contact with the person and that was years ago XD

But yeah, PC is so much smaller and it's not as bad to get around. I do think it's a cute idea though.

Years
    I would love to do something like this. I'm not the biggest poster but i'm always stalking about the place ;D

but i don't think anyone is saying that a new person would have to join it. It could just be like a little option for people to do if they feel a little bit intimidated.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Eh, I'm not really all for this idea. A lot of people are friendly and active enough in helping new people, and it isn't the hardest to figure out how to navigate through this forum. If you want to help new people, you automatically volunteer. I don't think it's something worth signing up for, since it's technically already been done.

I've welcomed my fair bit of people so far. If they friend me, I accept. I've seen new members get acquainted very well simply because people are willing to make them feel welcome. So as long as the community's kindness persists, this kind of program seems redundant.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I rather dislike it because PC is segmented enough as it is without putting the different crowds of PC at odds over new users who should be given their own space to gravitate to whoever they want to if they're not the solitary type.

As has been said before, and I do agree with it, we have plenty of resources for established members to greet and guide new members as is. The adoption thing would be cute yes, but nothing more, and serve no real purpose other than to potentially cause additional polarization. In short, it's a drama magnet...given enough time it would draw enough in.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    I don't know if a lot of the people here that are downing the idea have seen how this thing works. I would think there would be a list of people able to "adopt". Then the newbies would just ask the adopter to be adopted. Then the adopter would post in the thread that they have an adoptee and they would be taken of the list for now (unless they have the time to help multiple newbs)

Well that's how it always go on the forums I usually go to.

And btw newb isn't degrading, it's justshort for newbie, n00b or noob is supposed to be insulting. Newbie isn't.

So yes, I agree. I would love to help.

Kyoto

Hai, wanna pair? ^^
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Just gonna put my two cents here since they actually DID have this at another forum I was at a few years back. It was a huge forum with a lot more sections/members so I understood why they'd do it and I agreed to ~show a new person around~. They didn't have too many questions but I think what the new people like about it is having someone who becomes a fast friend. You're the first person they pm, you get to know them, and it makes getting to know other people a little more easy.

Plus, it's nice to have that go-to person in case of any question you feel is too stupid to post or you didn't skim the rules all the way so you're not sure about something. I'm still actually in contact with the person and that was years ago XD

But yeah, PC is so much smaller and it's not as bad to get around. I do think it's a cute idea though.

I swear your name is too familiar. Anyways back to the subject, I think it would be a pretty interesting idea. I would love to be adopted! Even if I have 1000 posts I may want to be adopted! I think this is a good idea. I have no clue on how it could be implemented into PC. I support though!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't know if a lot of the people here that are downing the idea have seen how this thing works. I would think there would be a list of people able to "adopt". Then the newbies would just ask the adopter to be adopted. Then the adopter would post in the thread that they have an adoptee and they would be taken of the list for now (unless they have the time to help multiple newbs)

Well that's how it always go on the forums I usually go to.

And btw newb isn't degrading, it's justshort for newbie, n00b or noob is supposed to be insulting. Newbie isn't.

So yes, I agree. I would love to help.

I honestly feel like people often down suggestions just to down them sometimes. :/ Looking back at all the suggestions, there were about 13 of them, and from my count 10-11 of them were generally downed, 1-2 either weren't replied to a lot or didn't have a consensus, and only 1 was generally approved. I mean, I guess it's possible that people on PC just make really bad suggestions.

I don't see why this would have any problems being implemented, other than possibly the load on the moderator handling the thread, editing their post when requested. The way I see it is, if the suggestion isn't going to hurt the forum greatly or take tons of work, then why not put it in? I'm sure the moderator could even get a member to volunteer to run the thread if the load is that big of a deal.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years

I honestly feel like people often down suggestions just to down them sometimes. :/ Looking back at all the suggestions, there were about 13 of them, and from my count 10-11 of them were generally downed, 1-2 either weren't replied to a lot or didn't have a consensus, and only 1 was generally approved. I mean, I guess it's possible that people on PC just make really bad suggestions.

I don't see why this would have any problems being implemented, other than possibly the load on the moderator handling the thread, editing their post when requested. The way I see it is, if the suggestion isn't going to hurt the forum greatly or take tons of work, then why not put it in? I'm sure the moderator could even get a member to volunteer to run the thread if the load is that big of a deal.
    I agree, I really doubt it would be that bad to moderate. And it wouldn't be like some people said. If you're shy you can just go ask someone who seems nice. And by no means would it be mandatory.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Eh, I'm not really all for this idea. A lot of people are friendly and active enough in helping new people, and it isn't the hardest to figure out how to navigate through this forum. If you want to help new people, you automatically volunteer. I don't think it's something worth signing up for, since it's technically already been done.

I've welcomed my fair bit of people so far. If they friend me, I accept. I've seen new members get acquainted very well simply because people are willing to make them feel welcome. So as long as the community's kindness persists, this kind of program seems redundant.
    I know it's not really the best idea, but I am getting different views on it seeing other suggestions, especially yours. Maybe just a list of people who are willing to help those people who are new, maybe re-direct them to these threads like the "Where Do I Post This?" thread, since they're not the easiest to find and just be a general guide for them.

The list of "veterans" would be more about them telling the new people what sections they frequent, what their interests are and similar things like that, so that the new person can choose who to go to for questions about the forum instead of being assigned someone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back