• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2016
    Breeding

I know how breeding works, sort of. I know that if you breed a male and a female, the pokemon type will be the same as the female and you get the moves from the male if he happens to have egg moves. But what about this, i want to breed double edge and or curse to my snorlax. I get a female snorlax and breed it with a male aggron for double edge. If i happen to get a female offspring, can i then breed a female snorlax with a male slowpoke to get curse, and still keep double edge?

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • You should give this guide a look: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1
    It starts simple so that you can understand it, but remember that this is Smogon, and they love to get into the delicious details.

Good thing people are still breeding in Gen III like me right now, because I'm using these guides as we speak. What you want to do is loosely termed "Chain-breeding" which means it will take more than a few Babies to get exactly what you want.

Step 1: Dub Edge Aggron + Snorlax = Baby Snorlax with Dub Edge
    Step 2: Get Female Snorlax (Note: Female Snorlax is a 12.5% chance) with Dub Edge
    Step 3: Double Edge Female Snorlax + Male Slowbro with Curse = Snorlax with Dub Edge and Curse

*Note that Egg Moves won't automatically transfer, so it takes luck to get both as does everything in breeding. Keep at it with a ton of Eggs until it comes up.
    *Breeding for Nature, which I assume you'd want if you care about movesets, is easier if you attach an Everstone to the Female. There is a 50% chance the Female's nature passes down.
    *Breeding for IVs is also difficult, but to make that Curse/Dub Edge Lax worthwhile, the IVs need equal attention.

Short answer: yes, but it's not a sure thing that both will be there. And Snorlax, Aggron and Slowbro share an Egg Group right?

I'll be happy to explain what you're unsure about in a private message.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2016
    So i see its possible, thats good to hear, that way i dont have to use the in-game double edge or curse for curselax. Thank you for mentioning the everstone, but given how low the chance is of getting a female, unless i get crazy lucky to get the prefered nature when i get a female snorlax, its best just to get many eggs until i get the male with the right nature.
    The everstone makes it easier if you have a 50% percent chance of either gender though. I did some nature breeding with my feebas, only problem with feebas is the berry thing, i had to keep it trading between several games to get a milotic, since the berrys never respawned(yes i planted seeds). But yeah, i got my milotic in the end.
    Btw, i dont think aggron is in the same egg group as slowpoke, maybe they can breed i dont know, but from what i have seen neither have any egg moves from one another. In 4th gen aggron can get curse from slowpoke, not in 3rd gen though.
    Thank you for the help.

I see many recomend earthquake for curselax, but i dont think i will take it. Im not playing competetive, but just in case, and anyway if i fight the elite four etc. its good to have something more versatile. Im thinking maybe ice punch instead, it doesnt hit rock for as much. But the few types that resist it takes normal damage from double edge anyway, except steel. But steel is mainly for skarmory, which should take normal damage since its part flying anyway. Its good to have something to hit those ghosts with. I take it ice punch is physical. Or maybe thunderpunch, i thought rock resisted it, but apparently not. Its neutral to steel as well, but ice punch hit dragons hard.

Anyway, seems i just got lucky with my snorlax female nature. I got one with brave nature, which is fairly nice. Increase in attack, decrease in speed, speed which is useless for a curselax, and really snorlax in general. So i think i go with that everstone now. But i guess careful or sassy nature could be better, seing as i have curse.

It doesnt really seems like it possible to keep double edge. When i breed my female snorlax with double edge with a slowpoke with curse, i get tackle amnesia and curse, and i hatched like 10 eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • You'll probably need to teach the male Pokémon with Curse Double-Edge from the FRLG or Emerald move tutor. Before Gen VI only the male can pass on egg moves, so both moves need to be on the male Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2019
    which starter should I pick?

One of the hardest decisions to make on pokemon games.

I want to know why and not just because it looks cool, I want to know the best statistically.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Yeah, it is one of the hardest decisions to make on Pokémon games! Hopefully my tips can help you decide which one to pick! ^_^

So stat wise, Bulbasaur. It has a total of 318. Squirtle is 4 points lower, coming at 314. You probably didn't expect this, but Charmander is the lowest, with 309 as a base stat total. But this doesn't mean it's the worse. It'll definitely get better and still has some pros about it, which I'll say about in a little.

Bulbasaur is the Seed Pokémon. Here are it's stats:

Advance Generation Question & Answer

HP : 45
    Attack : 49
    Defence : 49
    Sp. Atk : 65
    Sp. Def : 65
    Speed : 45

As you can see, it's major stats are Sp.Atk and Sp.Def. That means it's better to be used as a special Pokémon. The unfortunate thing is that by level-up, it doesn't learn any Special moves. According to my sources, all it learns are status and physical moves. Even Razor Leaf is physical. Although you could get something outta TMs, but I haven't totally looked into it. I'm pretty sure it should be able to learn some special TMs, at least as a Venusaur.

You might of have heard from Prof. Oak's description while viewing Bulbasaur in FireRed/LeafGreen. It has a Medium-Slow level up rate, which is exactly the same for the other starters, so what Oak says is not exactly true. But it's a good Pokémon as it can pack a punch and hold out, especially in the special area.

When it evolves to Ivysaur at Level 16, it can learn its first special move by level-up at Level 44; Solar Beam. Such a shame it's not got much, haha. It's Attack boosts up to 62 while the Defence goes to 63, while the Sp.Atk/Def reach a high amount of 80. Especially for a Pokémon who's not a final evolution.

It definitely gets amazing when it evolves to Venusaur, at Level 32. Keep in mind that it evolves the earliest out of the three, so that is a pro. It gets that Atk/Def boost to 80, and it's special stats go all the way up to 100; now it can really tank a lot of things and be real powerful. The only real con is that a fast Fire-Type could really outmatch Venusaur, although it does have good Defences.

Now we go to Charmander! ^_^

HP : 39
    Attack : 52
    Defence : 43
    Sp. Atk : 60
    Sp. Def : 50
    Speed : 65

First thing I'm going to say here is about it's Sp. Atk and Speed stats. Similar to Bulbasaur, but instead of the Defence, he's all about that Speed. Very fast for a first stage Pokémon, especially that early in the game. And unlike Bulbasaur, a LOT of its moves are special. It's movepool is very diversed, including a variety of Physical, Special and Status moves. A pretty cool choice, to be honest. And it's design is really cool! It has a flame coming out of his back.

Charmander can also learn a good amount of TMs, including good ones. It can even learn a Dragon-Type move, despite being so small and just a plain Fire-Type. It learns it's first Fire-Type move Ember at Level 7 (which is also special ^_^) and this can be a real help throughout the game, from sweeping in Viridian Forest to beating Erika in Celadon in one try. Especially with that added Flying-Type it gets on its final evolution! It's also resistant to 5 types, these are: Bug, Steel, Fire, Grass, and Ice. (Not counting Fairy as that isn't even in Gen III) Not bad! But then again it's weak to 9 types! Just a plain Fire-Type's enemy, I guess. But it all makes up for it when it evolves ^_^

It evolves into Charmeleon at the regular level, which is Level 16. It's main stats (Sp.Atk and Speed) are increased to a good 80. It's attack is also at a 64! It becomes a pretty viable Pokémon at this stage, but still isn't a dual type. Good thing it gains one when it reaches it's final evolution! Charmeleon's base stat is 405. Good for a Pokémon of its stage!

Then, it evolves into it's final evolution, Charizard at Level 36 like Squirtle. It is really overrated, but for a reason! A LOT of people like it for it's design. It's just too awesome. Also mentioning that it looks like a dragon (such a shame it isn't). But yeah, it's a Fire/Flying Type, which is really good against Grass-Type. Then its got that horrendous Rock-Type weakness. It can easily get knocked out by a simple Rock Throw, so make sure to watch for that.

It has a base stat total of 534, and it's Special Attack, rises higher then it's usual Speed, and hits a 109 stat. But the Speed hasn't given up! It's still at a good 100, so it's a special fast hitting Pokémon. Very useful in the right situations, but bad in the wrong situations. ^0^; Now it's time for the last one, Squirtle! o3o~

HP : 44
    Attack: 48
    Defence: 65
    Sp. Atk: 50
    Sp. Def: 64
    Speed: 43

It's good a pretty decent base stat pool. It's main stats are Defence and Sp. Def. It's physical is slightly higher then it's special, although that doesn't make much diference. Very good against Pokémon, as it won't faint as easily as the others, thanks to its shell! Yay for Squirtle! It's good against Brock, Blaine and Giovanni (I'm probably missing one) but that's 3 Gym's you know for sure you won't keep having to go over and over. Personally, Squirtle is my favourite because it's final evolution Blastoise is just... so amazing! I can't really say much, haha. But it's all up to you.

It evolves into Wartortle at Level 16. It's skin tone turns into a more stronger blue, and it grows a tail and horns or whatever they are that are a white with a touch of a small blue. Just like all of the other starters when they evolve, it gets a boost in pretty much every stat, but a lot in it's 2 mains, being Defence and Special Defence. They go to 80, and the Attack and Sp.Atk go to 63-65. You'd obviously expect more for the special if you've used it before, but that proves how bulky it can be. It can tank out a lot of weaknesses if they aren't obvious, unlike Fire. But it's got 4 weaknesses, which are: Steel, Fire, Water, and Ice. It also has the coolest shiny, in my opinion at least! It's tail gets a shade of green, and it's shell becomes a brilliant green too. Such an amazing Pokémon!

Finally, at Level 36 it reaches its final form, which is Blastoise. Defence goes up to a brilliant 100, similar to other starters like in other stats. It's Special Attack goes even higher, so it's a suprise switch. It's just higher by 5 points, though. Not much at all, but still can be important ^_^ It's main stats don't go as high as Charizard, but that's perfectly fine. Physical and Defence are very different! Also gonna mention right now it gets 2 big-ass cannons on its back, which can shoot water that can potentially kill something, according from something I read. Really cool indeed! It's also got a giant shell which can pretty much not be smashed, or any of that sort. :D

So there's all the data about the starters! Really hoped that helped in your choice. I tried to include as much info as I could, I've even tried to give a little insight on my personal opinions on them. I'm happy I could help! o3o~

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2019
    Thanks a lot for your help, I think I will pick Charmander because I like fire types and Charizrd is awesome.

Now can someone tell me a good moveset for a physical and special attacking Charizard?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Thanks a lot for your help, I think I will pick Charmander because I like fire types and Charizrd is awesome.

Now can someone tell me a good moveset for a physical and special attacking Charizard?

I used to pick Charmander often too in the FR/LG games ^o^ I also liked to use moves which were partially physical and special, so I often taught my Charizard the following moves: Fly and Slash for physical (contact moves) and then Flamethrower and Fire Blast for special moves.

I also like to have 50%-50% when it comes to typing of a move for a dual-type Pokemon like Charizard for example; it is Fire/Flying, so I have two Fire-moves and (well in this case) a Flying and Normal move (but there were times I had two fire moves and two flying moves on my Charizard, but I like Slash haha) :3

Hope this helps (just for the idea)!

Years
    • Seen today
    Bulbasaur has the highest base stat :P

Which are of no use against Charmander. Stats are not the only factor that matters, and regarding the starters, the type is what counts the most (everything else is more or less balanced).

Grass > Water > Fire > Grass > ...

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    In terms of making your playthrough easier:

Bulbasaur has an advantage over gyms 1-3 (Super-effective on two, resists the third), same type as 4, 5, weak to 6,7, advantage over 8. But is then quite sucky against the Elite Four - it can do a damage to a couple of Lorelei, Bruno and the Champion's pokémon but will get destroyed by Lance.
    Charmander is weak to the first two gyms, neutral against 3, super-effective on 4, neutral on 5,6, same type as 7, has an immunity to 8 (fully-evolved). Dragon Claw gives it an option against Lance, and it's super-effective on Fighting, but most of Lorelei's Ice-types are Water-type too.
    Squirtle is super-effective on gym 1, same type as 2, weak to 3, 4, neutral on 5,6, super-effective on 7 (I'm going Sabrina 6, Blaine 7 here btw), 8. Can learn Ice Beam so has an advantage against Lance and Bruno's Rocks because of its STAB.

So as you can see, they're all pretty equally flawed, Bulbasaur makes the start of the game easier, Charmander the end, and Squirtle's just sort of like Charizard in that it gets stronger towards the end, but without being weak to the first two gyms.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I can't the forum keeps saying I need to post 15 posts.
    That way the prevent bots from spamming pictures all over the forum.

If you can't put in the link directly, just give us the address as plain text like:

htt p://something.com/picture.png

That way people shoud be able to check the picture.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Would this actually work?

I was doing some research on hacking for the third gen games and found a list of the gen III pokémon by index number on bulbapedia. I found out that Bonsly and Munchlax in Pokémon XD have the same index number as Unowns B & C, respectively, in the handheld games. My question is, if you obtained Unowns B / C in FRLG and traded them to Pokémon XD, would they become Bonsly / Munchlax in XD? If so, that would be ridiculously cool.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    Solo run question!

Hello!

I'm not sure where to post this question, but I want to do a solo run with Zangoose for Pokémon Ruby. I am planning on doing this on a rom, as I only got 1 GBA SP. I've searched everywhere on the interwebz, but I can't seem to find an answer! How do I put in Pokémon into a rom? An answer would be very much appreciated!

Greetings from The Netherlands!
    BoredMouse7

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back