• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advanced generation? Old? Well...

Syvelocin

Eevee Breeder
Years
  • I remember getting Sapphire at Toys R' Us years and years ago. It was my first game ever. I had watched the Anime for years and collected the cards, but never got a game till then. I remember not knowing how to catch them in the game >.< Oh, I was so young and stupid.

That's probably why I don't hate the III gen pokémon like other purists. I am sort of like that though, since I'm not very happy with D/S and what I've seen of B/W, the pokémon don't seem like pokémon in those versions. But I grew up with Gen III pokémon, so I put them with the I and II gen pokémon.

There is a lot of nostalgia for me with R/S/E. I have memories of staying up all night on the floor of my bedroom trying to catch a Skitty (lol), berry blending in the car on the way to the doctor, getting my first three sevens in the slots game at the game corner while getting my hair cut as a kid, and when I got the last beauty ribbon for my Ninetales. Great memories, as stupid as they sound... I'll never forget R/S/E. Even if I lost my Sapphire version, my FireRed died, and my Emerald's internal battery died so I can seem to catch a Snorunt...

At least we weren't the Gen IV babies. I feel bad for them... I mean, they don't seem like real fans then, right? Most never watched Season 1 of the anime and can't list all 151 original pokémon. My little sister only has Diamond and a DS and she says she's an "expert"... *sigh*

I still have my two GBAs and my SP with the Rayquaza case...

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I don't think of them as "old", their just "older" than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
    I think their still as awesome as they were when I first played them.

seocompany

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2010
    I remember very well being a member of the PC during the pre-release hype up the release of Ruby Sapphire and waits for the pirates who got the game on the Japanese launch sank all. it still feels quite recently.

ZH11000

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2011
    Those III gen games playing..that were the good days. trying to get every legendary and all... I wish I was 7 again.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I still think of the GBA games as the newest games, hot off the presses. But then, I haven't played the DS games, so that's probably why. However, it is interesting to notice that I'm not the only one gaining interest in the GBA games all over again- I've seen a bunch of fellow college kids fooling around with FireRed lately.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Anything past the original Gold/Silver era still seems really new to me... because when I look back at my childhood, I think of Red Blue and Yellow, and then Gold and Silver. I don't think of Ruby, or Sapphire. That was something that sort of broke the ice to me as a totally different style of Pokemon gaming - and I don't think those games are old at all. The only games I'd venture to call antique are Red, Blue, and Yellow, because I've owned my Red version for 10 + years.
    (plus, it makes me feel old. ;o; )

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I think the "full color" thing is one of the things that stood out so much as to me seeing them as a totally different style... visually, they still look new to me, they look similar to the newest games... They don't have that aged feel that the original games on the Gameboy Color do. It's also weird to think how long ago they came out. I never really think about it. Time flies. @_@

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • None of the generations are old, don't call me old. :<

Really though, Pokemon games don't really seem to age for me, and I enjoy every generation pretty much equally depending on the mood I'm in at the time.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years
  • I don't really see it as old, but if we're talking about red, yellow, blue or even green versions... Silver, gold and crystal... Now those are old...

Mewtwo152

nomnomnomnonmnom
    Years
  • I really don't see them as old, because I don't see the GBA as old. The 1st and 2nd gens were released in the Game Boy's wayning days, but R/S wasn't, which made them feel old as D/P was released.
    I think they were the first games I got on release, getting Red a year after it was released, and Silver with my GBA on my 2001 birthday.
    Basically, Gen III is in a weird place; a stepping stone between 8-bit Pokemon, and the 'modern' era of the DS. The fact that there's interconnection between III and IV, and that there wasn't an overhaul of the stats system between them helps Gen III feel modern.

pjofan

Orre Colosseum Leader
    Years
  • Ruby was my first Pokemon game ever. It seems like so long ago too. I remember liking it so much that I got Sapphire. Then for lack of newer games, I got Gold, Silver, and Yellow. Ruby and Sapphire remain my favorite Pokemon games.

Sadly, I have a friend who had no idea Hoenn existed. He went straight from Gold and Silver to Diamond and Pearl. I was playing it and he had no idea what game it was, because the graphics are like a mix of second and fourth games.

Third generation does seem like such a long time ago to me, considering that was seven years ago. Half my life I've had Ruby and Sapphire!

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I usually can't imagine G/S/C that old actually.
    I know that compared to the newer games they have been made obsolete, but...

I still remember the day I bought Gold. The first time I had ever even laid hands on a Pokemon game and the first time I ever played it. I loved every second of it. My first good Nintendo experience. ^_^

Krizor

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    I don't consider the 3rd Gen games old since they're still compatible with the 4th Gen games and some of the current DS systems.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • I don't think they are old yet because I just played FireRed not that long ago and I think it looks alright! When a game is good, a game is good.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • It may be old, but I just beat Sapphire for the first time (as far as beating E4 and catching Regis anyway) ever. And now I'm restarting again!

Aera

The samurai.
    Years
  • Now that you mentioned it, I feel old... xD; My first game ever was Emerald, and, well, it's the first game that introduced me to the world of Pokemon. But, it's only been 3-4 years since I last played it, so... I don't think it's that old, right...?

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • I don't consider them old, however at the same time, they were still a major part of my childhood.
    For some reason, Pokemon games never feel 'old' to me.

Back