• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Advanced Sprite Editor Data?

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Hi super experienced Rom hackers!

I'll preface this thread by warning you that this may come off as quite naive of me:

I have a problem dealing with the compatibility between 2 different .ips files.
    I'm trying to have my ROM work with Moemon .ips patch, but the 2 ROMS have data in the same offsets! (Hindsight is 20/20)

Anyways, Moemon uses Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editor to add new sprites. I'm not familiar with this tool, so I don't know how it handles the data (I'm not a programmer, so please forgive my stupidity).

Is it "easy/simple" to move data from Moemon .ips patch (data is located from x71A23C-x79C57C and x800000-x800DB0) to offset x900000 via a hex editor? Or am I looking at a lost cause...

Any help is appreciated. If anything, I just want to understand how Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editor moves [repoints?] data, and whether or not it is feasible to move all of that data via hex, myself.

Thank you so much, happy new year!

- lilroosterbutt

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Thank you so much Eclipse.

Just for clarification, I just need to change the offsets in the .ini of ASE and then move the data to the new offsets, correct?
    Do I need to open my ROM in ASE and then hit save or something? I just don't see how the game is able to now recognize that the new data is in a new location, without messing with anything else. I'm a newb :|

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
  • Thank you so much Eclipse.

Just for clarification, I just need to change the offsets in the .ini of ASE and then move the data to the new offsets, correct?
    Do I need to open my ROM in ASE and then hit save or something? I just don't see how the game is able to now recognize that the new data is in a new location, without messing with anything else. I'm a newb :|

Yes change the offsets in ASE'S .ini and move the data. It should read it then :)
    ~Eclipse

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I must be stupid -.-
    I've been messing around with Translhexation hex editor for a while, and still can't successfully move the data for Moemon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the .ini file only tell you the locations for the various tables?

Firered .ini file included with ASE:
    Spoiler:

This would mean that the .ini only tells the program where to look within the rom, for the various tables, correct?
    Therefore, moving the data (in my case, x71A23C-x79C57C) to offset x900000 via copy and pasting the hex wouldn't fix the data (pointers?) in the tables at all?

So that's my problem... I seriously hope I'm not sounding stupid right now, even though there is a good chance I am -.-
    Correct me, but right now, I think my only option is to manually change each and every offset within the tables (provided by the .ini) to their respective offsets at x900000 and above? That's so much work...

Is there a program that automatically rewrites pointers for me? That way, when I move the data from x71A23C-x79C57C to x900000, all the pointers in, say, the frontspritetable at x2350AC, are ALSO rewritten to correct for the relocation of the hex data?

As always, thanks so much for the help. I don't know what I would do without you guys.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    You cannot simply move all the sprite data. You're right when you state that the .ini only gives offsets to the tables.

So to truly move the data, you'll need to first copy over the sprite data to a new location, then adjust the pointers in all of those tables to point to each sprite's new location. It's more work than its worth, and you'll likely lose track of all the offsets.

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
  • You cannot simply move all the sprite data. You're right when you state that the .ini only gives offsets to the tables.
    So to truly move the data, you'll need to first copy over the sprite data to a new location, then adjust the pointers in all of those tables to point to each sprite's new location. It's more work than its worth, and you'll likely lose track of all the offsets.

I thought it was a table at first... I edited my post because I thought it wasn't XD. But Itari is correct.

Back