• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    Anyone playing this bit of awesomeness on their DS right now? I'm loving the new direction they took the series. With the availability of wifi play, it's like a wet dream come true... o.O Yeah...

Anyways, being the ultimate nerd I am, I made this nice little music-space for the game:
    https://www.myspace.com/advancewarsdaysofruin

If anyone would like to play against me online just PM me your friend code. Mine is:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I've actually been wondering if I should buy this game with the money I have, or save up for Devil May Cry 4. I've really been looking for a game that will get me interested in my DS again.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    I guess it comes down to what you'd enjoy more. If you like warfare games and you've already played previous Advanced Wars games and enjoyed them, then I'd go with AW: Days of Ruin. Also, if you have wireless internet, all the more reason too get it. But, if this would be your first venture into the Advance Wars world I'd go ahead and get Devil May Cry 4. Since you haven't played previous iterations you won't know what your missing and you can get it at a later date. :)

Persona

Banned
    Years
    I have been playing Advance Wars since the original game on the GBA, and was pleased to find another sequel to Dual Strike. I didn't truly expect anything dramatically unusual compared to the last game, however I was surprised to notice quite a lot of difference. Days of Ruin straight away gave me the impression that it was much more mature; the colors were darker and the storyline seemed to be aimed at an older audience. I think it's great that Intelligent Systems have decided this, it seems like a different game rather than 'just another Advance Wars', so it's kept old players, such as myself, interested.

It has been a while since Nintendo released an Advance Wars game, Dual Strike being one of the early releases on the DS, yet lacked online capabilities. Refined, more strategic gameplay supported the game to be more approachable than it was before, but still managed to improve just about every aspect of the franchise. The graphics weren't as 3D looking as Dual Strike, but in the long run that really doesn't seem to matter. I liked how additional units were added; granting the battles further depth and variety.

Personally, I didn't prefer the Advance Wars at the time when it was bright and colorful, so naturally, I was excited to discover that this one had a darker, more realistic side to it. XD;

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I guess it comes down to what you'd enjoy more. If you like warfare games and you've already played previous Advanced Wars games and enjoyed them, then I'd go with AW: Days of Ruin. Also, if you have wireless internet, all the more reason too get it. But, if this would be your first venture into the Advance Wars world I'd go ahead and get Devil May Cry 4. Since you haven't played previous iterations you won't know what your missing and you can get it at a later date. :)

Well actually, my first game for DS was Advance Wars: Dual Strike and it rocked out loud. I also have WiFi and have been itching for a reason to use it other than playing Pokemon Diamond. I have enough money to buy it but if I was DMC4, I have to wait two more weeks to get the rest of the money. Oh man, this is a hard decision >.<.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    I have enough money to buy it but if I was DMC4, I have to wait two more weeks to get the rest of the money. Oh man, this is a hard decision >.<.

If you have a X360, a demo is out on Xbox Live. Did you try that? It's basically a Nero one with the snowy stage and the fire one from the trailers.

Though Days of Ruin DOES have a map editor, so there's more replayability.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    AngelicExcalibur said:
    Though Days of Ruin DOES have a map editor, so there's more replayability.
    A map editor that has more than four save slots finally! Or was it three? And not just more save slots either, you can finally change the size of the map as well. I've been wishing I could do that for a long time!

Shirosaki said:
    Personally, I didn't prefer the Advance Wars at the time when it was bright and colorful, so naturally, I was excited to discover that this one had a darker, more realistic side to it. XD;
    The old colorful style didn't bother me as it did you, but I did often find myself wishing it were a bit more gritty and darker. And even though this new iteration lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of Dual Strike, the games grittiness, wifi capabilities, and new map editor features far outweigh the cons. It was a smart move on Intelligent Systems part to give the game a new world and characters. New universe for a new style.

mega-dark

In a alternate universe
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Huh?
    • Seen Sep 5, 2010
    Advance Wars Days of Ruin was a surprise when I first got it, I had to change a few of my strategy (I could no longer spam SCO -_- I rely much on that anyway.) However it was nice change of strategy along with some nice new COs and themes. Penny and Mr.Bear FTW!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I be saving money for this game, will take a long time given what little I typically get.

Does the Duster just have machineguns?

Phatkav

Zero Creativity
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2021
    I got the game like a week ago. Lots of fun. Though I do need to get on and finish the campaign but the Map Center is too addicting,

mega-dark

In a alternate universe
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Huh?
    • Seen Sep 5, 2010
    I be saving money for this game, will take a long time given what little I typically get.

Does the Duster just have machineguns?

That's all it has. Good vs Copters and Infintry and light Vechiles, but don't expect it to put a dent in a tank (Unless you load your CO in the Duster.) Other than that it's nice addition to the many units of Days of Ruin.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    That's all it has. Good vs Copters and Infintry and light Vechiles, but don't expect it to put a dent in a tank (Unless you load your CO in the Duster.) Other than that it's nice addition to the many units of Days of Ruin.
    I see; still, if it's cheap, very useful. Remeniscent of the Yak planes in C&C Red Alert...

By the way, in case it is of interest to anyone, the European release of the game is called "Advance Wars: Dark Conflict", but I prefer "Days of Ruin" so I call it that. :0
    Never understood why the Japanese, American and European releases of Advance Wars varied slightly in, mainly, the names of the characters...

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Ive just completed dual stirke's hard campaign with an S rank so im probably gonna get it. How much better than dual is it?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Ive just completed dual stirke's hard campaign with an S rank so im probably gonna get it. How much better than dual is it?
    Well, they changed the gameplay a lot, it's more strategical and COs aren't so influencing on a battle if I'm correct. Depends whether you like the changes on whether it even is better at all for you...

mega-dark

In a alternate universe
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Huh?
    • Seen Sep 5, 2010

Days of Ruin enfizes more on the stradigy of Advance Wars (they striped the CO system so battles won't be half as annoying). Adding a few new units such as the bike that is more moble capturing and have rigs that can build temporery properties (Temporary air ports and ports repear air/sea units but they don't build them.) Aircraft carries having the ability to build 4 planes (At at the same time of course) and the abilty to repair, anti-tank cannons and flair tanks to make fog war esayer, The maker are wanting to make stragidy more important than defending then Spaming CO powers. So to answer your question Gofre it depends, if you like advance wars it's for you but if you don't like change then you might not like it.

P.S My spelling is bad

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    ME said:
    If anyone would like to play against me online just PM me your friend code. Mine is:
    Now that some of you have purchased the game and are obviously enjoying yourselves, would anyone like to exchange friend codes so we could versus each other online?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Now that some of you have purchased the game and are obviously enjoying yourselves, would anyone like to exchange friend codes so we could versus each other online?
    If I had any notion of it works...

Now, I should be getting the game this Friday, so if you could PM me soon (or any convenient time, chances are I'll be locked in single player for a while xD) about what this friend code stuff is... and even how a DS is supposed to connect to the internet? o_o;

Back