• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advancing the Franchise

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
  • From the beginning of the franchise aspects of it has continued to advance, and become more and more complex adding upon what we already have so have you ever thought of what more is there for the aspects? Often times I hear people say the franchise as a whole could do better and that they are repeating the same things over and over against to the point its becoming generic and stale.

- So can they? Can they do something to revolutionize the franchise or are they already doing it just not everyone sees that or cares for the changes that have been made?

- What changes do you think they could/should make? And do you think these changes would be plausible?

- If you could advance any portion of the franchise what would it be and what would you do to change it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2013
    I think GF could do a better job with the console games. Pokemon Battle Revolution NOT having an rpg mode was a huge flop. I think the next set of remakes (Red, Blue, Yellow with some of the gen V updates) should come out for a console.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • - They can't change the gameplay formula; just look at Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts and Star Fox Adventures for example. The same old same old still works like a charm. They can only upgrade it.

- The only likely changes I see are the shift to a 3D environment and use of Streetpass.

- I would give the type chart and movepool an overhaul, as well as switching around base stats, to help low tier Pokemon stand a chance against high tier Pokemon (and help Ice types and Poison types from being mediocre types).

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I think GF could do a better job with the console games. Pokemon Battle Revolution NOT having an rpg mode was a huge flop. I think the next set of remakes (Red, Blue, Yellow with some of the gen V updates) should come out for a console.

Gamefreak never made Home Console games. Stadium, Stadium 2, Colossuem, Gale of Darkness, and PBR were made by different companies. First two being Creatures Inc I believe and the last there being Genius Sonority I think. Gamefreak has only ever made the Gameboy/DS main series games.

As for improving. At this point, I can't see anything that needs to be improved upon. They revolutionize the Pokemon industry every generation. Its something they do every switch. I just don't know how they could possibly better what they have now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Some type dynamics need to be changed. Grass is pretty much weak against anything, and fighting is pretty much invincible considering how it's super-effective against five different types and only weak against two (as psychic is not nearly as popular as it once was).

I'm going to be quick, because I am tired. I am expecting future generations to give even more individuality with each Pokemon. Namely, Pokemon variations. Remember how some Pokemon looked different if they were from the Orange Islands? That's the idea. So, Arbok would have different patterns based upon the location they are caught, as well as others such as Mantyke. Spiky-eared Pichu will return, along with other variants (like a Pichu with a brown tail instead). And these differences can make a slight difference to the individual Pokemon. We could even see the Crystal Onix implemented into the games and would be immune to water-type attacks, yet weak against fire-type attacks.

One other thing. While they can't bring back the Gaming Corner because in essence it was a gambling parlor, I would like to see a spiritual successor in an Arcade. Basically, you buy tokens to use on several different games and depending how well you score, you earn tickets to spend on "fabulous" prizes. Like a Chuck E. Cheese, but without the pizza. One of the games they could put in could be a new version of Pokemon Pinball. Or maybe a Puzzle League-esque machine? There's plenty of possibilities.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Making big changes in a successful franchise is generally bad strategy. It alienates some number of the existing fans and, unless done extremely well, doesn't attract enough new fans to make up for the loss. They have a successful formula. The best strategy is to do exactly what they've been doing - to repeat the formula with a handful of generally carefully planned and well-implemented changes, as warranted.

It's not a coincidence that Pokemon is almost certainly the best, and possibly the only, example of a game franchise that has never put out a really bad game. Virtually every other franchise has put out at least one game that's widely and justifiably regarded as poor-at-best, and usually because they broke from the successful formula, often apparently for no reason other than to change things up and make it different.

There will always be those self-professed fans who want a successful franchise to do some different game. I've always believed that everybody would be better off if they took their desire for some different game and applied it to actually playing some different game. Leave the successful series as they are - that's why they're successful. Those who think it should be something else are welcome to go play something else.

That's not to say that nothing should change, of course. GF has a great history of making necessary changes, and virtually all of them have benefited the franchise. The introduction of Steel and Dark and the splitting of the defense stats in Gen II went a long way toward fixing the terrible imbalance of Gen I, and the physical/special split of Gen IV was a brilliant change that made a large number of old and new pokemon and strategies viable. Changes like that - carefully thought-out and well executed improvements - should certainly continue. I'm not sure how many more of them there are though.

Yeah - some of the types seem unbalanced, but, to me, they aren't really unjustifiably so. It made sense to me when I first played the games, and still does, that, for instance, Steel and Dragon and Rock are relatively strong types and Grass and Psychic and Ice are relatively weak. And even with those, the ways in which and the things to which they're strong or weak make sense. I would expect steel to hold up to most things but to be in danger from fire and from brute force. I would expect psychics to be generally physically weak but able to hand out some fairly substantial damage if and when possible. I would expect ice to be dangerous but not really tough to deal with. I would expect grass to be largely unable to hurt others but very resilient, unless burnt, frozen or poisoned. And so on.

There are a few things I kick around as possible good ideas, but I'm not convinced that they're genuinely good. I don't know enough, even now, about all the complexities of the game balance to be sure. The change I wanted the most, and dreamed about for years, was the physical/special split, and I got that. To their credit, GF generally hasn't tossed aside the successful parts of the games in the name of change for change's sake (unlike most other game franchises), so I mostly just trust them to get on with it, and they mostly do.

That said, it bothers me every time I think about Ledian's 35 base attack...

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
    Years
  • Migrating the battle system from the Pokemon anime might be advice(you can move your Pokemon in battle instead of two or more Pokemon basicly take turns attacking each other)....

But to way I see it...The Pokemon games GF has made are VERY sucessful,so whats to change? Keep it the same I guess and leave it to the fans to where we can come up with what "different" can be like for a franchise.

I mean there's allways room for improvment right?

Back