• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

advantages and disadvantages of using Pokémon for transportation

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • what would the advantages and disadvantages of using Pokémon for transportation? what would be an advantage of a specific Pokémon you would use, what would be a disadvantage? what would be the advantages and disadvantages of each Pokémon type as transportation? lets discuss Pokémon transportation....

here is my example....

advantage: clean and efficient; doesn't pollute.... disadvantage: you would have to make sure you don't tire the Pokémon out..

Moltres: advantage: flying is a good way to go... disadvantage: be careful of flames

advantage of Fire type: warm in winter.... disadvantage: again... be careful of flames (unless you and the Pokémon's friendship is strong enough it won't burn you)

if there is any thing I have missed regarding Pokémon transportation advantage/disadvantage topic, feel free to add it to the discussion! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Here's another disadvantage to consider: the Pokemon itself may be stubborn and may not like like being used for transportation, so it may take some coaxing and training. But then again, the main advantage is the lack of CO2 emissions.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Another disadvantage would be that you'd have to feed your transport, or give it energy somehow or else it's pretty useless as transport then.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I'd say that a disadvantage for flying would be that you'd really mess up your hair... Just sayin' -w-

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't like the idea of using Pokemon for transportation in general. Let's say you're happily flying on your bird Pokemon when a strong gust of wind suddenly hits you and you go plummeting a thousand feet to your doom. That's why I hate the Mistralton City guy in B/W who says, "Sorry, these planes are only for cargo, you trainer types have Pokemon." What if I don't want to risk my neck flying on a Pokemon?

Surf is okay, as long as you actually *can* swim in case you fall off. Diving, though... I don't see your in-game character magically don scuba gear before going under, so how do you breathe? In any event, I don't think diving in cold water, then coming up with drenched clothes is ever a good idea.

Riding on a Pokemon's back wouldn't be that bad an idea, except for the fact that Pokemon lack luxuries such as stereo systems, air conditioning, and power reclining seats.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    flying and surfing

Without flying and surfing, getting to places would be greatly difficult which is why i use it all the time.The only disadvantage is that you have to find the HM and beat a gym leader to be certified to use it

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Surf would be pretty good, but safety is never guaranteed. Also, the ship industry will practically fall down if Pokemon like Poliwag or Totodile can use Surf.

Years
  • I imagine you could ride a lot of things.. I mean, not to long ago, we were heavily dependent on horses, and.. horses like to run. True, they are not machines, persay, and you wouldn't be able to ride them realistically long distances without having to take a few hours of rest.

I'd prefer to ride a Drifblim. For one, it's a ghost.. and I have a hard time imagining it tiring out. Better yet, Teleport with Alakahazam, provided it can port me to places I haven't been yet. :P Trouble is getting back after the fact

Years
  • Riding a pokemon on land would be fine I think. You'd have to feed it and rest it but hey. It's clean, and some pokemon apparently could run faster than cars. As for surfing, it'd have to be big enough. I wouldn't risk crossing the ocean on a little wee poliwag or something. Flying would probably be fun, but way dangerous and scary. I'll pass. Lol.

Years
  • I guess using your Flying-type Pokemon to fly you around is nice since it's good for the environment and you feel the breeze.

Disadvantages? If you were riding on a Moltres watch out for its flames.

And having your Water-type Pokemon take you across water is helpful since most Water Pokemon are good swimmers (despite what Qwilfish's Pokedex entry says, it is able to learn Surf).

Back