• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice for a Fledgling Breeder

Tilting Clock

Apricorn Fiend
Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    So, after years of soaking up the ins and outs of Pokemon breeding, I want to give it a go. Having learned a bit more about how pedigree is determined for pokes, I wanted to ask some insight from those who may be more experienced or informed than myself.

My present project is as such:
    • I am trying to create a nearly-flawless Ralts.
    • Getting all IVs in the 29-31 range is my goal.
    • I am breeding on my Platinum Version.
    • I load up the current best pair into the day care then absentmindedly bike north and south until I have five eggs in my party.
    • I then save, reset, and load up my Action Replay to activate a fast-hatch code and IV checker code.
    • I hatch the eggs and check their IVs.
    • I reset the game, eliminating the influence of the Action Replay and start the game normally.
    • If any of the Ralts produced had more stats in the ideal range, I hatch them normally and replace one of the breeders (as the egg data is set at the time that the Old Man gives it to you, so it will have the same stats I just checked before resetting.)
    • I cram all the remaining eggs into the storage system and abandon them to a loveless, empty existence. (Seriously, I wish Gen VI had made it possible to raise IVs through hard work so there were a better way than this mass abandonment...)
    • Check all boxes and party for any Bad Eggs, just in case.
    • Save.
    • Repeat.

Some notes:
    • I have hacked nonlegal (illegal moves/forced nature/illegal ability) Pokemon on this game before (one of my better birthday gift ideas.)
    • I occasionally use the Action Replay to clone Pokemon as well (Events, Favorites I want to use in both Gen IV and Gen V, etc)
    • Obviously, the GTS occasionally gives me some surprise hacks, which are quickly put to a merciful death.
    • I need to get a hold of the Power EV items to speed the genetic lottery up, but I suck at the Battle Frontier, so that'll be a while.

So, with all that in mind, here are my questions!

Even though I'm going to great length to make sure that these Pokemon are bred from legit parents, hatched legit, and inherit their stats through the legit mechanics of the game; does the inclusion of using the Action Replay to check their IVs mean they are only Legal (and thus not Legit) in the eyes of the community?
    I undertook this project because I wanted to get a feel for the hard work it takes to breed competitive Pokes, ergo I don't simply alter the IVs of an existing Ralts (also, I hear there are various pieces of data within the Pokemon's trash bytes as well as the way algorithms work together that would reveal it as a fake.) Thus, if these methods would invalidate that effort, how else can I go about efficiently and consistently checking the IVs?
    One further question is: does the fact that other hacking has taken place on this cartridge (nothing crazy, just the above examples) add some instability to the hatched Ralts? Does anyone have any experience with errors being generated on legit Pokemon that might be tied to this? Again, as my research has shown, as long as I'm not fussing with massively-out-of-place data or saving Bad Eggs onto my game, it should remain stable. But programming is complicated, so I'm curious if anyone has seen something to the contrary. Would uploading the Ralts to a legality checker ensure that any anomalies in its data are caught?

I appreciate any advice!

Back