• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Advice needed.

Corinton

Zodiac Assassin
Years
    • US
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Let me just say this first, I'm a total newbie when it comes to hacking/creating my own game. Can anyone give me any good advice for free, or at least very cheap, tools to use for creating a game?

I've tried Poketscript, but I couldn't get it to cooperate with notepad to do what the small tutorial I was looking at said. So here are the programs I have access to:

Poketscript
    AdvanceMap 1.92
    PKSV
    and XSE.

I also have RPGMaker VX Ace
    and the free version of GameMaker on Steam.

Are there any tutorials that you'd recommend for me to learn the ins and outs of these?

I have little experience with coding and mapping, and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for learning these skills. So any advice is helpful.

Also, I hope this is the right place for something like this, if it's not, I apologize >.>

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Hmm, you seem to have two things going on here!

Pokescript, A-Map, PKSV and XSE are all hacking tools. All hacking tools are free, and many can be downloaded in our tools and tutorials section - where you'll also be able to find a plethora of useful guides as well.

I would recommend you use XSE for scripting, my favourite tutorial is Diego's (click for link).

RPGMaker and GameMaker are completely different to hacking, as they make a game from scratch rather than altering an existing game file. If you're more interested in Game Making then you're best looking at The Game Development section of Pokecommunity.

Kenny1

On a break from Rom hacking, to improve other skil
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2017

Corinton

Zodiac Assassin
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Thank you Kenny1 and Magic! Those links will be very useful :D

I'm kind of divided whether I want to use hacking or create a game from scratch. I would certainly like to do both but can't decide which place to start haha. Anyway, thank you for those wonderful links and tutorials, I'll definitely be looking into those and whatever else I may find :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2016
    Though not the newest, HackMew's tools are certainly some of the best. You can find them at HackMew's Tools Factory thread (see below). HackMew isn't active anymore, so you might have to hunt around for a rehosted file if any of the download links are broken in the thread. Best of luck!

To get to the thread, just paste
    Code:
    /showthread.php?t=85025
    after the pokecommunity URL.

(Apologies, can't post direct hyperlinks yet)

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2018
    Cool. I'm also startring out with hacking. I Found out about OW Editor RE, And NSE. NSE Can be used to change Trainer sprites, pokemon sprites, backsprites, and some other stuff. OW Editor can be used to edit The OW Sprites (the ones you talk to, move, see on the maps.) I Hope these help, and they are SUPER Easy to use. (NSE Can have problems though)

Back