• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Affection

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    It seems we live in a day in age where people don't like to be affectionate because it's smothering or it makes them feel vulnerable.

How affectionate are you?

I'd say I'm a very affectionate person, though it could drive some of my friends insane lol.

Years
  • I'm not TOO affectionate. Especially not towards my friends; imagine being a straight male and having one of your close male friends come up to you and talk about how much he likes you.

Sometimes though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I'm not TOO affectionate. Especially not towards my friends; imagine being a straight male and having one of your close male friends come up to you and talk about how much he likes you.

Sometimes though.

I don't show a lot of affection towards guys either. It's mostly my female best friends whom I show a lot of affection to. Not to say I don't care about my guy friends, it just shows differently. Like asking if they're doing alright when they feel sick or if they're going through relationship stuff.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I'm not affectionate in the slightest. I don't like hugs or any of that touchy stuff from either gender, not even from my parents. Nor do I really express to other people vocally that I like them. But since I am so picky about my friendships anyone I do call friend is very lucky.

As far as guys though, I haven't had the chance to be romantic but I can see the affection rear its head on a few occasions. I get embarrassed/nervous around guys a lot though so it may be awkward.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Most times I'm not very affectionate. My love for most people presents itself in being there for them as opposed to just true affection. Its not that I dont love them, I'm just someone who can only get affectionate to people I'm very close to.

If you are that person though I'm very affectionate.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • There are five types of showing affection or 'love':

1. Words of Affirmation (I love you)
    2. Acts of service (Tasks such as cleaning)
    3. Receiving/Bestowing gifts (Presents)
    4. Quality Time (Spending time together)
    5. Physical Touch (Hugs, kisses, explicit, etc.)

Normally, each person has two main ways they show affection: one they do for others, and one they like done to them best.

I am good at doing things, so acts of service are how I show I care. I enjoy spending quality time and all that entails. Although we all typically enjoy more than one of these, we always prefer one over the others.

Hope that helps.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I find receiving physical forms of affection such as hugs very uncomfortable. As such I cannot competently give in that fashion either so I resort to buying presents and maybe doing things. People think that's weird so I try to not do anything.

In my experience affection is seen as a sign of weakness that others will take advantage of and offer nothing in return.

Affection isn't something that people can really take advantage of (like Joe the mechanic or Bob the uh. . . Builder charging you more because you love your wife) and is usually reserved for family members, partners, lovers, spouses and/or close friends. Perhaps you mean generosity? Or do you genuinely mean affection (bad girlfriends, family members and what not)?

Her

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I'm not TOO affectionate. Especially not towards my friends; imagine being a straight male and having one of your close male friends come up to you and talk about how much he likes you.

Sometimes though.

masculinity is so fragile i love it

it takes me quite a while to warm up to people, because i tend to let my introvert self close off connections to other people
    but i'm very friendly and playful when i want to be, i'm just cold initially

once i start caring about/for a person though, for whatever reasons i may have, i'm very affectionate and jokey and will do anything for them
    if i really care then i'll get motherly out of habit

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • I'm not TOO affectionate. Especially not towards my friends; imagine being a straight male and having one of your close male friends come up to you and talk about how much he likes you.

Sometimes though.

I don't show a lot of affection towards guys either. It's mostly my female best friends whom I show a lot of affection to. Not to say I don't care about my guy friends, it just shows differently. Like asking if they're doing alright when they feel sick or if they're going through relationship stuff.

#LADS

I think there's a reasonable distinction between affection and intimacy that kinda makes sexuality irrelevant imo. I don't see any harm in being more GENTLE AND CARING towards one gender over the other. I would argue that men can be equally as sensitive as women in terms of how delicate people can be; in fact, imo two of the most fragile people I know are guys. I don't think either of you are the sort that are of the extreme that are lacking any compassion towards fellow men in a rut etc but there are those people who simply can't turn off that ladish mentality for their friends even when they're in need of a bit of TLC and that irks me a lot. I do genuinely feel like the stereotypes of men having to be TOUGH WITH THEIR EMOTION isn't beneficial for our society but maybe that's just me.

Noibat

Years
  • I'm quite affectionate with my friends, no matter what gender. I love seeing my friends cared for and happy in any way.

With my boyfriend, it's a different tone of affection because we're a couple, but the basic emotions are still the same.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm definitely not affectionate. I don't like hugs, kisses, or any physical contact really. The only way I really show affection is if I have a legitimate conversation with you. I'm a pretty cold person in real life, so most of my responses are as short as possible.

However, I'm a lot better about holding conversations on the internet.

pkmin3033

I'm alright with showing affection if it's deserved, I guess? I try to make my friends feel appreciated, anyway. I get the "I'm not bothering you, am I?" or some variation of it quite a bit, because I'm a very reserved person by default, but I'm not cold...at least, I hope I'm not. I try to be approachable and at least affable when I'm approached, but because I don't approach people myself very often I suppose I come across that way a lot. It's not intentional; I can be very affectionate with my friends~

Physical affection I'm awful at, because I can't abide being touched. If someone hugs me I tense and radiate disapproval and discomfort that would dissolve the offender into an impotent liquid puddle in an instant if it had any physical force to it, and anything else...well, people have to surprise me in order to give me any physical affection.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I'm always affectionate to the people that deserve it. Others who are idiots and act like it dont get the nice treatment and we go down a "different" road. Im fine with showing affection in public or anywhere because even if i think ill he vulnerable im not. If you dont show affection because 1. Itll ruin your image or 2. You care what others think about you or 3. Itll make you vulnerable its sad to say in my opinion i think you would have confidence issues. I myself am a pretty confident person and dont always care what others think so i have no problem with these.

Sometimes people wont show affection for vulnerability because they are scared that their heart will get broken or for another reason then it kinda goes back to confidence in oneself. Anyways thats my opinion haha

But spotlight on me again ^_^ overall im affectionate to anyone i care about and friends i dont mind hugs or physical contact and really i dont always see to much affection anywere or too less in my life. :p

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • If I really can't stand you, then I make it somewhat obvious I think - although not always intentionally.

If I consider you a friend, then I can perhaps be too friendly at times. Your personal cheerleader of sorts

If I don't really know you, but don't have an issue with you then I can come off a bit... uninterested? Maybe. But I open up over time.

In short, I need more gradation in affection

Years
  • I'm affectionate around my friends, but I tend to get a little shy in bigger crowds or around adults of important stature, if that makes any sense.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'm not very affectionate person. It really depends who is around me, but in general I'm quite a private person so I don't really like public displays of affections (involving me). I don't know. I suppose I've never really found a person that I absolutely love to the point where that doesn't really bother me. Meh

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I am definitely super affectionate if I know the guy is comfortable with it too. If not I back the hell off. Not super sure how this applies to people I think of just as friends. I certainly hug them if that's what this means. Hugs are awesome!

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
  • Well, I show it in different ways especially when it comes to my friends. Depends how close we are and how we've been through for that

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Nowadays I try not to be very affectionate at all but I make a few exceptions with friends that I've known for a long time.

Back