• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

After lurking for a year, I felt that it was time to post

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is ManOfSteele, but since that's quite a type-full with three strokes of the Shift key, most forums I've been on just call me Steele.

Yes, the title doesn't lie, I've been a member for nearly a year now, lurking around, trying to learn about hacking, getting the ins and outs of scripting. Unfortunately, none of this has come to fruition; programming, coding, scripting of any kind always goes right over my head. Heck, even thethethethe's legendary super simple tutorial goes in one eye and out the other.

Indulging in the more customary greetings, I am currently a sophomore double majoring in Psychology and Music with a focus in percussion (and I'm hoping to hone in on Neuroscience for Grad school). Percussion is just a fancy word for "I play drums", I'm currently in a band-we have a CD out, but I'm not playing on it. We've had a few shows, we're trying to climb the ladder.

Moreover to the Pokemon-based intros I, like I'm sure all of you, got hooked early on back in 1998. I was a huge fan of 2nd Generation until the Special/Physical split of the 4th generation--batting made much much much more sense, Pokemon like Salamence, Gyarados, Gengar and like like finally got STABs that actually complimented their base stats. As you may be able to tell, I'm a competitive battler. I had a Youtube channel for narrated battles with maybe 700 subs, but I kinda dropped it once classes kicked up. Haven't uploaded in probably 10 months.

That's pretty much it, looking forward to getting to know the community better, learn more about hacking, hopefully get good enough to maybe make a hack. Finally get that story in my head into a ROM, ya know?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
    Years
  • Hello there ManOfSteele! :)

Nice to see another hacker! :)

Since you've been lurking for a year now you should now your way to the forums so I don't have to post any links... xD

Just lurk on the Emulation forums, that's were the hacking business is on.. xD

Well just contact our dear Moderators if you have any more questions... :)

Well anyways welcome and post more in PC.... xD

~tajaros~

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • Neat. Lurking is neat. But, posting is cool too. Welcome! Have fun and whatnot in your posting endeavors and remember that the chickens attack when provoked.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Thanks tajaros, hopefully some more lurking in Hacking will get me going.

And Algo, we got a sayin back where I come from: "If the Chicken's not attackin' it ain't worth a hackin'". Not really, but everyone knows that the best chickens are the ones that attack. Well done sir.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
    Years
  • I lurked for a bit, and then joined.
    Anyway welcome to PokeCommunity!
    Read em' rulez if you are confused or contact em' modz, they don't bite (much xP)
    Don't advertise... Not like you will, but....
    Well i ought to tie this up, so i'll see you round' these parts.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Yo Steele!

God, I know how you feel about Hacking. And just game creation in general. I was never really into it, but I had a look into it recently just out of curiosity to see how difficult it looked and holy crap. Just wow. All of it flew straight over my head too, so I'm glad it's not something I had a burning desire to do or I would have been sorely disappointed in myself haha.

The customary greeting is the part I like the most - I find real life stuff way more fascinating myself :P. A double major in psychology and music sounds badass. I am so impressed with you I don't even know what to do with myself lol. Music was never really my thing but I did consider psychology when I was picking out university courses because I've always found it fascinating. Then I looked into it and saw it involved a lot of lab work and decided against it because I don't know how to science. I'd much prefer just to learn about phobias and the inner workings of the human mind without having to find out about the chemicals that cause it all haha.

Buuuut now I'm a college drop out who works in a liquor store while he figures out what he wants to do so I guess there's something to be said for sticking with it lol.

Wow I just talked a lot about me. This thread is about you! Be cool, Andy, be cool. ANYWAY yes I am incredibly impressed with your life and wish to trade places immediately :P

So once again welcome to PC! I'm gonna VM you I wanna talk to you further!

Talk soon! :D

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    You've been a member for a year? :o I can't say "welcome", then, but "Why on Earth didn't you post a year ago?" ;)

Nice that you are finally taking part, however. I like you have a hack idea in my head, but I don't have the patience for scripting; I'm more into the mapmaking elements of hacking after experience with a Zelda quest maker (not advertising it). In other words, someone tell me how (s)he wants the world to look and, eh, I can create stuff. Starting to learn how this AdvanceMap editor works and currently putting together an idea to improve the first area of that quest. :) Definitely get over to the Emulation forum for all sorts of helpers, I'm in there looking at something right now. :)

So you are a drummer? I could see myself playing music, or being in music videos, but alas, I'm not a musician or a singer. So I am an eternal nobody on that scene.

Speaking of YouTube channels, I'm thinking of starting a Let's Play video series someday. Right now, my entire video collection is some old chess thing I did years ago (maybe I'll remove it; it didn't stay with me after all and the software was on a laptop that fried) and a video of Nail Yakupov checking Brett Cook through the glass. You can guess which of the two is my favourite. :D

Hopefully we'll see you posting more around here! Really, we don't Bite. I know Whirlwind, however. I try not to use it.

I'm surprised Hikari has yet to welcome you. She haz Twin Oshawottz. They know Sweet Kiss. I say no more.

Cyclone

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    I lurked for a bit, and then joined.
    Anyway welcome to PokeCommunity!
    Read em' rulez if you are confused or contact em' modz, they don't bite (much xP)
    Don't advertise... Not like you will, but....
    Well i ought to tie this up, so i'll see you round' these parts.

Thanks for the welcome. I've read through the rules, but I keep on seeing this mystical magical thing about having 15 or more posts, what is that?

Yo Steele!

God, I know how you feel about Hacking. And just game creation in general. I was never really into it, but I had a look into it recently just out of curiosity to see how difficult it looked and holy crap. Just wow. All of it flew straight over my head too, so I'm glad it's not something I had a burning desire to do or I would have been sorely disappointed in myself haha.

The customary greeting is the part I like the most - I find real life stuff way more fascinating myself :P. A double major in psychology and music sounds badass. I am so impressed with you I don't even know what to do with myself lol. Music was never really my thing but I did consider psychology when I was picking out university courses because I've always found it fascinating. Then I looked into it and saw it involved a lot of lab work and decided against it because I don't know how to science. I'd much prefer just to learn about phobias and the inner workings of the human mind without having to find out about the chemicals that cause it all haha.

Buuuut now I'm a college drop out who works in a liquor store while he figures out what he wants to do so I guess there's something to be said for sticking with it lol.

Wow I just talked a lot about me. This thread is about you! Be cool, Andy, be cool. ANYWAY yes I am incredibly impressed with your life and wish to trade places immediately :P

So once again welcome to PC! I'm gonna VM you I wanna talk to you further!

Talk soon! :D

I wouldn't be so sure, we all have different talents, strengths, weaknesses. I can't hold down a job for more than 4 months, I'm sure you'd probably jump right back into your life. If you really want to go back to school you should, it's never too late. I digress, that's a different conversation to have at a different time. For now, it's just nice to know there's someone like me who feels the same way about hacking. Great to meet you!!

You've been a member for a year? :o I can't say "welcome", then, but "Why on Earth didn't you post a year ago?" ;)

Nice that you are finally taking part, however. I like you have a hack idea in my head, but I don't have the patience for scripting; I'm more into the mapmaking elements of hacking after experience with a Zelda quest maker (not advertising it). In other words, someone tell me how (s)he wants the world to look and, eh, I can create stuff. Starting to learn how this AdvanceMap editor works and currently putting together an idea to improve the first area of that quest. :) Definitely get over to the [Link] forum for all sorts of helpers, I'm in there looking at something right now. :)

So you are a drummer? I could see myself playing music, or being in music videos, but alas, I'm not a musician or a singer. So I am an eternal nobody on that scene.

Speaking of YouTube channels, I'm thinking of starting a Let's Play video series someday. Right now, my entire video collection is some old chess thing I did years ago (maybe I'll remove it; it didn't stay with me after all and the software was on a laptop that fried) and a video of Nail Yakupov checking Brett Cook through the glass. You can guess which of the two is my favourite. :D

Hopefully we'll see you posting more around here! Really, we don't Bite. I know Whirlwind, however. I try not to use it.

I'm surprised Hikari has yet to welcome you. She haz Twin Oshawottz. They know Sweet Kiss. I say no more.

Cyclone

If you have any sort of real inkling or ambition to play any sort of music, go for drums. Their super super easy to pick up, they're fun, and it impresses easily. I was one of those people who played like a billion different instruments before settling into drums. I never had the fingers for Violin, Piano, Guitar, never had the tone for any Woodwind, go for drums. They're awesome.

Honestly, when I started uploading videos I had absolutely no idea that people would watch them. Once people started subbing it was a very weird experience. If you can find your niche than I say go for it!

Pleasure to meet you!

Back