• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Age Gaps?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
  • No real gap in my relationship, we are only about 3 months apart.

In general i dont have anything against age gaps, people should be with who they like. But i do think that when one is still young, age gaps are more apparent than in later years, at least thats what i experienced when my best firend (21) started dating a girl who was 16...

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • I'm really feeling the hate here for large age gaps. I dunno. I married someone 14 years older than me when I was 21 and I feel that age was not the reason the relationship failed at all. I'm far more mature than he is. I think sometimes age just isn't a factor in a relationship.

Years
  • No real gap in my relationship, we are only about 3 months apart.

In general i dont have anything against age gaps, people should be with who they like. But i do think that when one is still young, age gaps are more apparent than in later years, at least thats what i experienced when my best firend (21) started dating a girl who was 16...

I agree with you in that age gaps in later years are generally more accepted in regards to society's views on it than perhaps younger ones. For instance (I know this is extreme, but it's just an example) a 20 year old dating a 10 year old would be labeled a pedophile meanwhile when you're 50 dating someone 40, people may not see anything wrong.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    My current boyfriend is only 2.5 years older than me, so not much of a difference. I turned 21 at the end of February and Boyfriend will be 24 at the end of August.

I'm really feeling the hate here for large age gaps. I dunno. I married someone 14 years older than me when I was 21 and I feel that age was not the reason the relationship failed at all. I'm far more mature than he is. I think sometimes age just isn't a factor in a relationship.

I feel the same way. Even waited to post, to see what else would pop up, but I seem to have the largest age gap in a past relationship thus far. He was 21 years older than me, and I was 18.
    I had even asked my mom how she'd feel about it -- we had never discussed larger age differences before, I only knew of my parents' other, uh, 'prejudices' -- and she proceeded to tell me that as long as he's good to me and we have similar interests and all that jazz, then why should his age matter?

But before I ramble on, the short version here is: Age isn't what drove us apart, either. Distance did. :c

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    My husband and I have a four year age gap. It really wouldn't matter if there was more or less of a difference.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I'm not in a relationship, and I've never really sought to be in one, but I still felt like I could give my opinion on the matter :p

Personally, I don't really mind age gaps that much, though it also depends on how young the younger one is. If it's anywhere below 16-18, and if the other one is above, I honestly don't like the thought of it that much, because I feel like there's gonna be a huge chance that it's more a case of the older occupant taking advantage of the younger one, and the younger one thinking they're in love because they haven't experienced it before. Though at the ages 16-18, I feel like people might have matured enough to not be lead on in that way. I'm definitely not an expert on that though, just speaking out of what I think haha.

But in any other cases, I'm fine with age gaps. That's not to say that I can't find gaps in the double digits to be kinda strange, but I believe love can be found between varying ages, so I wouldn't dismiss it :)

sweets

You can do it! ☆彡
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2014
    I have pretty strong opinions on age gaps. For example I think it's really gross and wrong for a 16 year old to date a 20 year old. The 16 y/o is practically still a child relationships wise, the 20 year old may not realize it but most of the time 20 year olds dating 16 y/os are taking advantage of them. It really makes my skin crawl.

After high school, I really don't care what people do with their love lives. However I would still think it was weird for an 18 year old to date, say... A 30 year old. The 30 year old is in a completely different period in their life and I can't really see what they would see in an 18 year old who has barely blossomed into adulthood.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My girlfriend is 4 years younger than me. At this point in my life, I'm still young enough that if the gap were any wider I think it would be really, really weird.

I have no problem with age gaps but before you settle down into a routine life as an adult, your life has the potential to change so quickly when you're young which can make age gap relationships difficult. A gap of even 3 years can put one person at the beginning of high school and another going off to university if both parties are young enough and that's... weird? I'm sure some people could manage it but I know when I went off to university, the things I thought about and found important as a postsecondary student were very different from what I thought about even in my last year of high school. You just end up at different points in your lives much easier when you're both young, even if in a few years those three years won't mean much of anything as you age.

It's all relative. Age gaps have a more significant impact on any relationship when the ages involved are young but you barely notice them as you get older.

Years
  • Both of my previous SO's were in their 20's like me, the biggest one is my most recent ex who is 21 where I'm 24, so it's not too big a gap!
    I won't date anyone younger than 18 for obvious reasons, but I likely would feel that someone who is 18-20 may be too young? I generally like to stick within 3 years each way, though that's just me.

Years
  • It's a matter of months between me and mine - we were both born same year, I was born in March while he was born in August.

And I'm of the opinion that as long as people are legal, then I don't really care what the age gap is between people in a relationship. Even if it might seem a bit sketchy at times in my opinion, depending on the ages involved...still, if it works for others and they don't mind then whatever.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Even though I have never had a boyfriend, I think that a bigger age gap is nothing to worry about, as long as both people are okay with it, and there's no pressure. (Sex-wise, 'cause that would be pedophilia, yo. Well, depending on the age difference.)

Years
  • I'm 22, turning 23 later this month while my boyfriend is 22 and born in October so I'm a few months older than him. My preference is no more than 3-4 years older and definitely not more than 2 years younger because that's a wee bit too young to me, hah.

But overall age gaps can have more of an effect depending on what ages you and your partner are exactly. A 17 year old can still be in their final year of high school while a 21 year old can already be on their way to graduation and walking the road to find work. It.. can be very complex in situations like those whereas a 23 year old and 27 year old can both already be working and out of school, making it an easier situation to work with. It just depends.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • As long as you both are 18 or over, I don't think big age gaps are that much of a problem. In my opinion, there's a big maturity difference between the ages 14 and 18 for example. If they are both a young couple, I think that there shouldn't be more than 3 years of an age difference. Otherwise, it can be as long as say, 20 years! XD

My boyfriend is younger than me by 1 year, though I constantly forget that. I look young so I tend to go for younger guys (that sounds bad, sorry x3). I wouldn't go more than 5 years apart.

Yukari

Hmm... I'm glad that I lost all interest in dating, I don't have to deal with these kinds of problems.

Off the topic of "Significant others" there is an age gap between me and my best friend. I'm 14 and he's 11. That's about 3 years and, while that doesn't sound like much that does mean there's a bid difference it terms of maturity.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I prefer dating older girls, but that's because I grew up with a relatively higher maturity than kids my age. If I do date someone though, I try to stay within 4 years older than me. To be fair, though, I'm waiting until I'm 21 before pursuing love again anyway. Dating as a teen sucks :p

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Age is a variable with exponentially less impact as you get older in terms of personality and development and whatever else. I just go off the /2 +7 standard for relationships around that awkward 14-18 point. After 18, technically anything goes. Biggest age gap I've had with someone? 2 months, haha. But that was my only age gap I've had so far, heh. Nearly had a 8 day gap once too. I haven't really considered anyone far from my age- yet. I wouldn't go under 18, but there's a possibility I could well end up with an 18yo if they were exceptional. Same for someone like 30, but I would prefer to die first, so I wouldn't wanna go more than 10 years up in the long run since that bodes badly for the whole dying first thing.

eh, people are gonna get with whoever they wanna get with at the end of the day. Just get with who you wanna get with and enjoy it.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • when I was but a wee young lad I had a weird thing where I would always go after girls that were like three or four years older than me. thankfully that seems to have been just a phase and it doesn't happen anymore. the last girl I went after was one month 9 days older than I am.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I love older men with all my heart and soul. Men between 35-49ish are at their sexiest, unless they let themselves go of course. There are just too many dilfs in the world and not enough time. I once met a very attractive older man who found me very attractive and all my dreams/fantasies came true. To actually date someone that much older than myself though would be too much considering we'd be at very very different points in our lives. So clearly I'm all for it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    When I became 21 I transitioned into this "you can't be an age that ends in teen" thing.

Back