• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

age is but a number

Sir Codin

Not only is California's AOC too high, the state also has absolutely no close-in-age exemptions either.

Smart of you to put "Republic" on your state flag, California, otherwise most people would mistake you for the Orwellian shithole most of the state often is.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Anything above 20 and under 25 for me right now, as a 23 year old.

gf is 20.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
    I mean... Numbers haven't really been too much of a problem for me. I was going steady with a 20 year old and I feel like it was a healthy relationship, even now we're great friends. I was 15-16

There are definitely gaps and ages that aren't deemed acceptable, but the two partners should decide, not the opinion of the society around them. Unless it's absolutely illegal then nevermiiind.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    I've never been hit on by guys my age. It's always the older ones (4+). I guess that makes me a jailbait, but Idc since I hate relationships with a fiery passion anyway.

Also, I think that people tend to make a big deal outta bigger age gaps between partners without taking into account that a) in a lot of countries the age of consent is way lower than 18 (Bulgaria, Spain, and Japan come to mind), b) some younger people are more mature than you think.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Well, I've only dated guys who were at the same age as me (I'm 24). Currently I'm dating someone who's 25, and it's not much of a difference, really. Age is just a number. I'd also be okay with dating someone in their 30's. lol.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    For me, yeah. I'm only 20 but can't see myself dating anybody younger than me. I dunno. My current object of affection is 26 sooooooooooo

Also, I think that people tend to make a big deal outta bigger age gaps between partners without taking into account that a) in a lot of countries the age of consent is way lower than 18 (Bulgaria, Spain, and Japan come to mind), b) some younger people are more mature than you think.

I mean, even if the age of consent makes a relationship legal, that doesn't give it a free pass for it being appropriate. The issue doesn't lie so much with children being "mature" (Which they aren't. I highly doubt a 14-15 year old for example getting into a relationship with a 18/19/20+ year old has an understanding of the complexities and dynamics of their relationship), but the issue for me is that an adult should know better than to be chasing after someone under the age of consent, in both a legal sense and in an emotional sense. My cousin started dating a 16 year old when he was 25... There's something wrong there, because frankly he should know better than to get into a sexual relationship with a teenager.

Last edited:

Poki

Banned
    Years
    For me, yeah. I'm only 20 but can't see myself dating anybody younger than me. I dunno. My current object of affection is 26 sooooooooooo

I mean, even if the age of consent makes a relationship legal, that doesn't give it a free pass for it being appropriate. The issue doesn't lie so much with children being "mature" (Which they aren't. I highly doubt a 14-15 year old for example getting into a relationship with a 18/19/20+ year old has an understanding of the complexities and dynamics of their relationship), but the issue for me is that an adult should know better than to be chasing after someone under the age of consent, in both a legal sense and in an emotional sense. My cousin started dating a 16 year old when he was 25... There's something wrong there, because frankly he should know better than to get into a sexual relationship with a teenager.
    It's really not anyone else's business if it's legal and they both agreed to it.

*ahem*

b) some younger people are more mature than you think.

I'm not even defending relationships because they don't make any sense to me, I'm just saying that people should stop thinking of all teenagers as stupid/immature/etc scruffy looking nerf herders who can't take care of themselves because of their age.

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
    Age isn't just a number. People change and mature as they get older, even though their natures stay mostly the same. Assuming we're going by what's legal, anyone can date anyone else if they fall in love. Although age matters to everyone, it is a stronger force to some people then to others. It all depends the people. Some folks prefer only people close to them in age, some can be pretty flexible about age, and others have a fairly wide age group as adults.

However teenagers (not counting 13 year olds) should probably not go further then two years older or younger then themselves with the exception being 14-15 year olds. I feel like someone aged 13 or younger is too young for dating so 14 and 15 year olds shouldn't date anyone younger then 14.

The second paragraph is just my own personal opinion and standards. I'm not saying I think everyone should have to follow it.

Years
    As long as all participants in the relationship are of legal age, I really don't care.

There's several age gaps in my family and my last relationship was with someone 5 years older soooo eh. Depends on the individuals whether it works out or not. I'm definitely not one to judge.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024

there are a few reasons behind the age of consent law:
    1). the first is the same reason why there's an age limit for owning a drivers license, being able to play the lottery, drinking alcohol, smoking & chewing snuf: the psychological & physical differences between the ages. there's a great physiological difference between someone who is 20 & some who is 17, regardless of how mature the 17 year old is nor how immature the 20 year old is. it gets amplified in one way or another depending on the age of the younger one involved.
    2). population control: it cuts down the amount of females getting pregnant. its the same reason why abortion won't ever be illegal in all the states of the us. the only reason a ban exists is because of the debate on when a fetus is considered alive, religion & not very many humans(especially among the feminine) can resist the allure of the cute.
    i don't see how anyone can find human baby's cute to begin with, I've never once seen a baby that wasn't ugly. honestly, spiders are more adorable then any human baby will ever be.
    age is but a number

3). religion: dose this really need any explanation? most of the people on this planet who not atheists are of some variation of the same exact religion with a handful of differences that have lead to wars being raged over. even to this day people are killing other people over their religious beliefs.
    not to mention the sheer amount of people brainwashed into believing in hell. that's just people using date's inferno in order to scare kids into believing their beliefs.
    4). femiist movement, i mean the real one that happened after women won rights in the us, not the "we all want to enslave all males biased on biased prejudice & society's stereotypes" that a portion of modern day feminist have slipped into & should be regarded in the same way westboro baptist church is regarded by most other churches.
    age is but a number

or at least until i think of something else to shove into this

Last edited:

véronique

Shiroshipping, FTW!
    Years
    another thread about dating, let's dive in.
    do you believe age matters when it comes to dating? if so, what would you consider an acceptable dating age gap?

Beyond making sure you're dating someone above the age of majority? Not really. It's more about compatibility and I know that at 23, I was much more mature than my ex-spouse who was 31.

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • US
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    I'm 17 and the lowest I'd like to go is 16, and the highest is 18. I'm sure those numbers will change as I get older, but like when I get hit on by guys in college while I'm just a senior it still creeps me out, and I don't feel comfortable dating anyone that's not a junior or older.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    It's really not anyone else's business if it's legal and they both agreed to it.

Nah if someone's an adult finding just legal teenagers attractive it's fucking weird and I'll make it my business because common sense should tell someone not to go after a barely legal person. It's about protecting people from potential predators and abusers.

I'm not even defending relationships because they don't make any sense to me, I'm just saying that people should stop thinking of all teenagers as stupid/immature/etc scruffy looking nerf herders who can't take care of themselves because of their age.

Get over it. As a """"mature"""" teenager, even I made ridiculous lapses in judgement and got myself into really potentially dangerous situations without realizing the impact of what I was doing. Teenagers deserve trust and independence - but we're talking about protecting people from abuse among other things soooooooooooooooooooooo lol

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Nah if someone's an adult finding just legal teenagers attractive it's psyducking weird and I'll make it my business because common sense should tell someone not to go after a barely legal person. It's about protecting people from potential predators and abusers.
    well, that depends.
    Masako Mizutani, a japanese fashion model looks like a teenager to early 20s but is 40 something
    age is but a number

and don't be foolish enough to think this only applies to Asian females.
    jason earls, who played as hannah/mileys's older bother in that crappy tv show disney turned miley cyrus into what ever the hell she is now with, was way to old to even be in highschool
    behold! a high school kid at the tender age of 34
    age is but a number

if he wasn't famous, he could sneak around on school grounds and no one would ever know...
    unsettling isn't it?
    the reverse of this is also true as there are teenagers here in the us who look a lot older then they are.
    i, while at 23(so about a year ago), got carded to buy a pack of cigs for someone i know(how the hell can any smoke that crap?)
    now that would be normal except the next guy in line was 15 & didn't get carded while buying alcohol. the difference? i look a lot younger then my actual age & he looked like he was my age. i only know how old he was because he started bragging about it with his friends while i was waiting for traffic to clear so i could cross the street.
    either way, the us is a genetic cesspool & abnormality's such as these are not uncommon here.

Years
    Nah if someone's an adult finding just legal teenagers attractive it's fucking weird and I'll make it my business because common sense should tell someone not to go after a barely legal person. It's about protecting people from potential predators and abusers.

Okay first of all, it is not unusual at all to find a "barely legal teenager" attractive. Biologically speaking they've reached maturity or are just about to and it is ingrained in our very genetics to start feeling attracted to people who are sexually mature. There's nothing wrong with that and it's kind of silly to pretend there is if you ask me.

As for "making it your business", you really have no right to. As long as no laws are being broken nobody has the right to insert themselves into someone else's relationship. That has nothing to do with protecting anyone, it's just you being judgemental because you don't disagree with it.

Get over it. As a """"mature"""" teenager, even I made ridiculous lapses in judgement and got myself into really potentially dangerous situations without realizing the impact of what I was doing. Teenagers deserve trust and independence - but we're talking about protecting people from abuse among other things soooooooooooooooooooooo lol

You know who else do stupid things? Fully grown independent adults who should know better. That's not a great argument against anything when it comes to age.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I kind of agree with Moogles, in that teenagers often think themselves 'mature' and able to handle adult relationships but in the long run they're not actually ready for it.

I speak from my own experience only, of course.

I think it's probably true for the large majority of teenagers.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    Yeeeeeah. I used to say that 3-4 years up and 2-3 years down was my limit. Buuut. Things change. Hrrm. Now I'm not so sure.

What bugs me the most is that it somehow feels more okay for a 25 y o man to date a 19 y o woman than the other way around. It shouldn't have to be that way. As long as you get along and can be at similar enough stages in life, age is but a number. And women can be older than their male partners, totally.

This is the general accepted view here by 90% of people in Berlin and it bugs me to no end whatsoever. Like, ok maybe I'm used to the idea of the woman being older since my mum is older than my dad, but even still, I don't get why this is actually a thing. Why do women dislike to date down the ages, and why do men seem to dislike dating up somewhat (though less so than women dislike dating down from my experience)?

That actually isn't any of your business. Our instincts are programmed to make us feel a natural attraction to those who are sexually mature, and if they are legal then our instincts will make us feel an attraction to them. That's not weird, it's natural. If you find that weird you seriously need to take a chill pill man and not involve yourself in other peoples' turn-ons. Like, making it your business is just invasive, snooty and out of order. Because their relationship has nothing to do with you. What the couple do together doesn't involve you, doesn't require your input nor your approval. If the two have given their consent and are both legal, then there is absolutely nothing you have any right to say about it.

Erm, I'm pretty sure a sex-legal teenager is quite capable of taking measures themselves against abuse. They don't need your "protection" if that's what you want to call it. But you're not really helping anyone, you're just restricting their chances at gaining experience themselves. It's not just teenagers that make these "ridiculous lapses in judgement" either. Adults do this too (see Ashley Madison articles for example). Not every relationship involving a rather large age-gap like a 17 and 25 year old is a form of abuse. Many of them can be stable, loving relationships and in fact, 99.99% of them are. Sure, they may not last long but that doesn't make them something to fear or "protect" people from. You have no right to think you're in any position to make a better decision than those who would be involved in the relationship themselves.

I kind of agree with Moogles, in that teenagers often think themselves 'mature' and able to handle adult relationships but in the long run they're not actually ready for it.

I speak from my own experience only, of course.

I think it's probably true for the large majority of teenagers.

A majority of teenagers may be irresponsible and still gaining experience, but this doesn't make them stupid and incapable of reasonable judgement of character of their prospective partner. Most teenagers are able to identify whether or not they want to engage in a relationship, and are sensible enough to end it once things start going south (if they even do). And what is an "adult" relationship? I've see teenagers dedicating themselves to their partner, growing up with them and eventually marrying them as a stable, loving couple. I've also seen adults constantly sleeping around, never settling and being very childish about their relationships, like a primary-school kid would behave. There is no 'teenage' relationships and 'adult' relationships there are just relationships, and the experience everyone has while in one is different. You cannot categorise relationships in this way.

As for my own thoughts, I have found that being with someone of a similar age-group doesn't matter so much as being able to be compassionate towards your partner. You have to be able to be civil with one another, share interests but also have differing ones too. You have to be able to respect the need for other human contact i.e. friend nights out. What matters is not how old a person is, but your attitude towards each other and the mutuality of the feelings you have. These are the important factors, not age. And it's not anyone's place to interject on someone else's relationship and deny it, or take charge of it, because you have NO right to do that, and should probably worry about your own life before the other person's. People need to get a drink, a chill pill and stop being pretentious, overbearing and controlling.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Believe it or not, it's still none of your business if it's legal, and consent was given.

There are """"mature"""" teenagers, and then there are mature ones who actually know what they're doing with their lives. Let's not act like majority = everyone. Getting into potentially dangerous situations is a matter of intelligence.

Back