• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Agree or Disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I disagree, because they are. There are plenty of people doing a lot of activism, and there's been plenty of scientific evidence to support it. It's not a question of "There isn't enough interest / activism / education" it's a question of "Capitalist overlords don't want to lose profits for a while."

It's simply not the kind of problem you can change by focusing on climate change alone, you need to attack the other parts of society as well in order to make some kind of change from a consumer based society prioritizing profit to a welfare based society.

Hot take alert: Lechonk's not cute.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The classic NDS was the most creative console they made, and the 3DS improved it even more. I loved the idea of the double-screen.
    So I'll agree.

Coop games are better than PvP games.

Politics should be a lot more involved into fighting climate change.
    I find Shooting Star's answer very smart, but if I agree with him disagreeing, I disagree for two other reasons.
    1. I feel there are many higher priority issues to solve before tackling climate change: insecurity, economics and health, among others.
    2. Most of the time, politicians acting for climate change means adding more taxes or making a law to force a certain behaviour. It's basically "punishing" the people, who has no power, no impact on the world and doesn't pollute much, rather than big companies, that have power, an impact on the world and pollute the most.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Idk, I don't play multiplayer. I have no friends, play only Switch games and don't want to pay even more money to Nintendo and even if I were to pay: most players online are just toxic and/or competitive and I'm not into this.
    I guess by that alone I would agree with coop being better simply because you can choose with whom to play in most cases?

Winter time is better than Summer time.

Years
    Disagree. Despite the easy sweat I have, the fact that I become 10 times less energetic and how comfy the bed and blankets are during winter, I still prefer summer. Sea, swimming, hot weather, long days, beach. Yeah, definitely better. Winter is cool (lol) and it has a lot of perks, but summer is just great.

In 30 years, smartphones will disappear for a more efficient device.

Years
    Possibly, but there's no guarantees with the future so I'll Disagree.
    Maybe they'll just continue making it smaller and thinner to the point where it turns into the size and thickness of a post-it, for example.

School uniforms are outdated and unnecessary.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Kinda agree?
    The main benefit I see is that it erases any marks of social classes; the poor and the rich wear the very same clothes. I guess that's some sense of equality?

Videogames don't need more graphical details.

I have no friends
    🤗
    and even if I were to pay: most players online are just toxic and/or competitive and I'm not into this.
    Half the pleasure of playing videogames relies on winning, unfortunately :(
    I guess by that alone I would agree with coop being better simply because you can choose with whom to play in most cases?
    Come play Dark Souls 3 in coop with me :3

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Obviously! But it's not even the graphics wars that I'm mad at at this point. It's that many games have dumbed down their gameplay and world building to a massive degree, as well. Especially so in western titles. Like, just take any of the open world games that came up here over the last decade. They're all just the same cookie cutter type of "go to this marked spot, capture this tower thing, etc.". And that's not even taking all the bs mechanics like lootboxes and day 1 DLC into account whose only intent is to get even more money out of the player! But hey, the graphics are nice, aren't they? <_<

Open source products are better than proprietary products.

Years
    I don't know enough about this subject to know whether to Agree on it or not, so I'll Disagree.

Current VR technology isn't actually VR.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think it could be improved, but I think we're not too far. I'd disagree.

The journey matters more than the destination.

Obviously! But it's not even the graphics wars that I'm mad at at this point. It's that many games have dumbed down their gameplay and world building to a massive degree, as well. Especially so in western titles. Like, just take any of the open world games that came up here over the last decade. They're all just the same cookie cutter type of "go to this marked spot, capture this tower thing, etc.". And that's not even taking all the bs mechanics like lootboxes and day 1 DLC into account whose only intent is to get even more money out of the player! But hey, the graphics are nice, aren't they? <_<
    Makes me think about one of my recent complaints about videogames. I LOVED Skyrim. I LOVED it. I loved the open-world heroic-fantasy RPG. Now, can you cite me another open-world heroic-fantasy RPG that was released after Skyrim, except Witcher 3?!
    (Horizon Zero Dawn maybe? Mechanically it's not very different)
    Instead, we have had a million sequels to Assassin's Creed, or Far Cry, or new "shooter-RPGs" like Division... Meh :(
    EDIT: Elden Ring is an open-world heroic-fantasy RPG :O

Open source products are better than proprietary products.
    As a Windows enjoyer, rather than Linux, for gaming reasons, and as someone who tested LibreOffice and OpenOffice as a replacement for Microsoft Office, I have to disagree :)
    (Microsoft Office is so smooth compared to its open source counterpart)

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Depends. In life, sure. When commuting, not really. So I'll disagree I guess.

Open Source products by and large have terrible user interfaces, and that's a big part of why open source will never overthrow proprietary.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I mean we could always start comparing different UIs. What's better: Adobe Photoshop or Krita? Or how about Blender or Maya 3D? There's some really complex things on both sides. And yes, you relativate your statement with "by and large" but I'm not gonna give you that! :P

We need to replace all sppons and forks with sporks!
    EDIT: Elden Ring is an open-world heroic-fantasy RPG :O
    It's also a game made by FromSoftware who is a Japanese developer. And it's being used currently to call out all the western open world RPG developers who pull these shenanigans.

Other ones are Zelda BotW (a game that I actually do not like) or the Xenoblade games.

Years
    disagrees. both have there pros and cons but books can never replicate the same feeling a visual-audio medium can in terms of fully immersing myself in the story/world. however, if a book gets adapted into a movie then the source material is vastly superior than it's adaptation (not always), books are also more detailed and longer- something that i enjoy. they also help improve my english as well. but as stated above, it just can't compare to the impact a good film will present. especially if a scene is thrilling or it's a fight scene.

80's-90's anime look more aesthetically pleasing than most of the new ones.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I would agree due to boomer nostalgia, but I have never watched any recent animes lol.
    I abstain :)

Sport is defined by the competitive aspect, not the physical one.
    Spoiler:

Years
    The way sports usually are, I'd probably agree to that, even if I do dislike how competitiveness is always such a major part of it. It brings out a lot of bad qualities in people.

Public college should be tuition free.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Agree, but someone still ends up paying and be it just the tax payer. It's another one of these things that should be pretty straight forward in theory but ends up being complicated in practice...

Big plushes are better than small ones!

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I agree! Smaller plushies can embellish a room / make a room cuter, but you can hug big plushies!

E-sports are sports.

The way sports usually are, I'd probably agree to that, even if I do dislike how competitiveness is always such a major part of it. It brings out a lot of bad qualities in people.
    The hidden question was "would you define a practice as a sport because it is competitive or because it requires physical abilities?"
    It's because I still cannot get over chess being called a sport while some people contest that fitness is one T_T
    And I noticed that those defending chess being a sport do because there is a competitive aspect to chess, while fitness overall is mainly about being in shape. So competition seem more important to some people to define a sport, rather than the physical aspect.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back