• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AI just passed the Self-Awareness test

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    Here's the link.

What do you guys think about this? I've only done a little reading about artificial intelligence, and this article didn't really include a lot of details (as far as coding and algorithms goes) but I think this is pretty neat. I don't know if I would call this self-awareness, but the possibility seems pretty groundbreaking, if true.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Sensationalist title; this is far from 'self-awareness' — this is just a demonstration of simple reasoning techniques in an area known as First-order logic. You can be given a set of statements (or rules), relationships can be made between those statements, and therefore you arrive at new conclusions.

There is at least one robot who speaks —> I'm able to speak —> Nobody else spoke —> I'm the only entity able to speak.

The ability to solve such a problem is by no means an indication of 'self-awareness'. Impressive efforts in general, sure, but this isn't close to a machine resembling consciousness at all.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Haha, this is hardly what I would call self-awareness. It's simply a matter of sound recognition and basic reasoning, as wakachamo said.

Also, just look at the comments for the article. I nearly died.
    Note this ludicrous test is sufficient to fool the average journalist.

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    Thanks for raining on my parade, guys.

For real, though, I wouldn't really call it a feat of self-awareness, either. I find it neat that we're at the technological point where we can create programs capable of working through first order logic. I mean, sets of rules and procedures are what programming languages consist of, but this is the first time I'm hearing of a program that uses an additional system of logic to perform its functions - in this case, the "self-awareness test" of recognizing its own noises, despite being "told" it can't make noises.

and I really want to see AI before I die, so any time I see something like this in the news I get excited hoping that progress is being made

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2015
    Yeah, it's really not that impressive sadly. I'm hoping we see some improvements within 10 years.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    I'll start to worry when an AI achieves Skynet-like capabilities, thanks.

not bad for famous last words huh?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'll start to worry when an AI achieves Skynet-like capabilities, thanks.

not bad for famous last words huh?
    How would that be worrying? I gather you're joking but people do seem to profess this as a deeply held fear. At the end of the day, your human neighbour/friend/lover etc. is much more likely to snap and come for your blood. A mechanical mind may be devoid of conscience, but it is at the same time devoid of the processes that make it an emotionally-ruled, irrational mess, and violent tendencies don't pay the rational.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    How would that be worrying? I gather you're joking but people do seem to profess this as a deeply held fear. At the end of the day, your human neighbour/friend/lover etc. is much more likely to snap and come for your blood. A mechanical mind may be devoid of conscience, but it is at the same time devoid of the processes that make it an emotionally-ruled, irrational mess, and violent tendencies don't pay the rational.

Emotions aren't what make a general intelligence dangerous.

Back