• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

alakazam moveset question/help

Deaths Jaws

Budding Breeder
Years
  • ok im about to make a Zam for spc attacking but am stumped at what elemental punch to have.

so far this is my moveset:

Alakazam
    Timid/Modest

- Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    - Unsure
    - Elemental Punch (???)

please help me out with this.

thanks in advance all

Jaws...

EDIT: also can i please have the possible breeding trees for getting ANY two elemental punches please cos i cant figure out how to get two onto my alakazam for the following sets i just thought of:

Calm mind
    psychic
    Ice punch
    fire punch

Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Ice Punch
    Electric/lightning punch (forgot what its called :) )

thanks again guys

Jaws out a final time....

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2005
    Alakazam@Lum Berry/Choice Band
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Evs: 252 Spd, 252 Sp.Att
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Thunderpunch
    ~ Calm Mind/Fire Punch/HP Water/Encore/Trick

Obviously Choice Band goes with Trick, and sorry i don't know the breeding chains for the punches, i bet Toothache know :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • why recover, or calm mind? alakasm is fragile, unless taking sp a, but even so... id just give it hp water, fire punch, or maybe trick

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2005
    Your right about recover though but zam could calm mind once or twice against a weakened opponent making him even more dangerous

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
  • Azam can calm up against a Blissey, although not advised since it'd just Twave you and then switch to a power sweeper and OHKO you.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • Thoguh if the opponent can switch, so can you. Half the skill involved is being able to predict his opponent's moves. A calmzam is good if used carefully. Because if you give hime too many offensivce moves, , and it comes up against a special tank, what good will he be? You would have to power him up for him to be any good, or switch out to a physical sweeper. Besides, Alakazam has awesome special attack, and in that area he deserves some respect. and if you use calm mind to make it stronger, then all the more dangerous.

Spike Razzor

"Don't argue, you failed..."
    Years
  • Kazam just doesn't have the Def to sit there an CM until it get +6, you will faint for sure. Sweep with Sp. Atk would be the smart thing to do.

Alakazam @ Lum Berry
    Psychic
    All 3 punchs

Shuckle

Most Hated Strategist.
    Years
  • I'd say put someting good over some of those punches. :p

You could do TrickBand. Nice Surprise for Blissey that uses Heal Bell. Must have good prediction skillz =O

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • Breeding chains for punches: Medicham, need several heart scales to learn the moves, or Hitmonchan who learns all moves by level up at level 26.

Mana Lugia

Years
  • Pogiforce-14 said:
    Thoguh if the opponent can switch, so can you. Half the skill involved is being able to predict his opponent's moves. A calmzam is good if used carefully. Because if you give hime too many offensivce moves, , and it comes up against a special tank, what good will he be? You would have to power him up for him to be any good, or switch out to a physical sweeper. Besides, Alakazam has awesome special attack, and in that area he deserves some respect. and if you use calm mind to make it stronger, then all the more dangerous.

The problem is, what exactly is Azam going to calm mind up against that isn't going to OHKO it? You can argue things that don't attack Zam that well, such as.... uh... pure special sweepers? But then they switch to a special wall like Blissey and then you get Twaved. If you switch, you lose your CM. You calm against another CMer and you'd either get roared (Suicune) or killed (HP dark Espy?). Your best bet is indeed to calm up against an offensively weak tank, but every tank has something that can disadvantage zam. One twave, and out comes the big gun, and even if you Psy on the switch, you might not even end up killing it, and thus get OHKO'd.

Shuckle

Most Hated Strategist.
    Years
  • Which comes to the conclusion of the speech.

Alakazam = OU and for good reason.

Alakazam Trying to CM = poopy ='[

Orochi Breakwing

Shut the muk up...
    Years
  • Zam really doesent need Calm Mind, IMO, but I run CM over TrickBand b/c most people like to stick you with a status condition, and the Synchronize-Lum Berry combo is pretty funny. Also, if Zam survives the turn he CMs, if he didnt get paralyzed, hes gonna rock somebody's WORLD.

My zam has:
    Psychic
    Calm Mind
    Ice Punch
    HP Dark

But thats just me.

Mana Lugia

Years
  • That only holds true if Blissey isn't doing the Wave, which it definately would be if the team has one.

HoundoomTrainer

Me>You?
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Apr 9, 2006
    Zam doesn't have the Defenses to CM. Give him Psychic, Ice/Thunder Punch, and HP Dark. He doesn't need Fire Punch.

Espeon though IMO, is better than Zam.

-HT

Vagabond Aeon

The Last In Line
    Years
  • Personally I find Gardevoir to be superior to Zam. Sure, Zam has the Speed advantage, but Gardevoir can take a hit and keep on truckin'. And come the Emerald update to NB, she gains the Punches, which IMO gives me more of a reason to use her over Zam. And I never liked Will-O-Wisp too much anyway.

Phlemingo

o_o_o_o_o <--Claydol Ascii
    Years
  • How about this: @ Lum
    Reflect
    Calm Mind
    HP dark
    Psychic

Since he's fast, he'll have a quick turn to Reflect. Then his special weaknesses will be not so harsh with calm mind. When it runs out, another reflect. Maybe a couple of calm minds, then sweep. Not to ambitious, mind you.

klducks

Team WWC
    Years
    • Age 34
    • WWC
    • Seen Aug 14, 2005
    alakazam @ lum/leftovers
    psychic, t punch, ice punch, fire punch and cm can fit > any of the E punches

pseudovector

pokedweeb
    Years
  • For one of my battle tower teams I used alakazam for the special attack/defense enforcer. Calm mind, recover, psychic, and fire punch.

Above level 50 there are lots of tough special attack monsters. So alakazam could sit out and calm mind at least a few times. After that fire punch to take out the regice and registeel or psychic anything else.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • I'd rather give someone else the job of setting up pseudopass for Zam, but having Reflect somewhere on the team certainly helps him to CM once or twice. One of the rare instances when Recover will be useful for Zam.

Back